Wide angle at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 4th, 2006, 05:35 AM   #1
Major Player

Wide angle

Hi,
I can't afford the full replacement wide angle lens, so I'm looking for suggestions as to what is the best/cheapest way to get a wider angle on the JVC? Are we talking some kind of cheap mini 35 adaptor and 35mm stills lens, or is there any decent wide angle adaptors for the stock lens? (the JVC adaptor does not seem very wide in my opinion),
Thanks
Paul J
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 05:46 AM   #2
Major Player

I've not seen a wide angle adaptor that makes any sense in terms of performance/quality. I think it would be great if one of the rental outfits in the UK started to supply the 13x lens. I spoke to a couple a while ago and they said they just didn't think there was a market out there for it. Does anyone in the UK know if there is actually someone offering the lens for hire now?
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 06:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Paul

As a cheap alternative check out:
http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Wide_Angle_Lens.htm

I believe JVC does a wide screw on adapter too.

Cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have the JVC .82 WA screw on adapter and it's saved a number of shots for me allready where it simply wouldn't have worked without.

You can get the wider stuff as well, but as it's not zoom thru I had to rule them out. Especially with how touchy this camera is for focusing. If I couldn't zoom in and get a good focus (even with the focus assist) i'd be in trouble for sure.

it's definately not as wide as I'd like it to be, but it's sure better than stock!
Old October 5th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

whats non-zoom thru?

If the idea is to get a wideshot, why zoom? that narrows the field of view..right?
Old October 5th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Ganesh
whats non-zoom thru?

If the idea is to get a wideshot, why zoom? that narrows the field of view..right?
If you do need to zoom in for a tighter show and you are using a non-zoom-thru wide adapter, then it will need to be removed.
This can become quite an inconvenience in documentary work, and therefore a zoom-thru adapter is much more desirable.
Old October 5th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #7
Major Player

While the JVC adapter isn't really wide, it's pretty wide, all thing$ considered, I'm glad I got it, I use it quite a bit.
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #8
Regular Crew

lens vs. adapter

I have the screw on adapter and it comes in handy on more occassions than I thought it would. If I'm doing some run & gun shooting I leave it on for the whole day. My mattebox even fits over it. However I have a shot coming up that I don't think the wide angle adapter can handle. Now I'm in search of the 13X lens for rental. Any suggestions? I'm in the US.... North Carolina. I don't mind getting it shipped in, I do it all the time. None of my sources have the 13X lens for JVC HD-100 though.
Council Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Are you sure of that? I was under the impression that you would be able to use the lens at any zoom setting, but that it would change the focus point so any moves of zoom would require a refocus. I could be completely off on that tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
If you do need to zoom in for a tighter show and you are using a non-zoom-thru wide adapter, then it will need to be removed.
This can become quite an inconvenience in documentary work, and therefore a zoom-thru adapter is much more desirable.
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #10
Major Player

I just did a job with 2 HD100's. One with and one without the Wide angle lens.
It turned out during shooting that the wide angle lens could not be used to zoom all the way. It was not possible to get it sharp fully zoomed in.
I checked the back focus, which wasn't the problem.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Council Bradshaw
I have the screw on adapter and it comes in handy on more occassions than I thought it would. If I'm doing some run & gun shooting I leave it on for the whole day. My mattebox even fits over it. However I have a shot coming up that I don't think the wide angle adapter can handle. Now I'm in search of the 13X lens for rental. Any suggestions? I'm in the US.... North Carolina. I don't mind getting it shipped in, I do it all the time. None of my sources have the 13X lens for JVC HD-100 though.
Abel Cine Tech in New York has a 13x for rental. They're great guys too! 888-223-1599.
Andrew Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #12
Regular Crew

daily rate $450...ouch

http://www.abelcine.com/store/produc...cat=613&page=1
Old October 7th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Ganesh
daily rate $450...ouch
Hi Ram,
That's not the same lens - it's probably a 2/3". The 13x in question is a 3.5, not a 4.5. I have rented it from them and paid a lot less (unfortunately I don't remember what).
Andrew Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colemont
I just did a job with 2 HD100's. One with and one without the Wide angle lens.
It turned out during shooting that the wide angle lens could not be used to zoom all the way. It was not possible to get it sharp fully zoomed in.
I checked the back focus, which wasn't the problem.
We also use the JVC .82 WA adapter and it has always looked pretty good at the telephoto end. Maybe not as perfectly sharp, but fair enough for the intended use of a wide angle adapter. I have seen things go south when I have the adapter plus filters stacked up with the matte box, but in that case it was just too much glass and expected.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems