DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Hdv --> Dv Conversion Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/77099-hdv-dv-conversion-question.html)

Hayk Paul October 9th, 2006 01:03 AM

Hdv --> Dv Conversion Question

Ok guys here's my situation:

Tomorrow I'm going to shoot a scene from my film, except it is more of a 'test' that I need to shoot and give to a friend so he can work on it in post with effects and such. By test I mean I'm not counting on using it in the film because I will be shooting the scene again later. However, as we all know sometimes that first take or 'first test' in this case sometimes turns out to be the best one and impossible to top no matter how many times you reshoot it. So basically I would like to shoot it the way I plan to shoot the film and that would be HDV720/24p...the problem is that my friend doesn't have the latest version of FCP, nor do I (yet), however I need to give him this footage so he can start working on it, experimenting with it asap. So I'm wondering if there is a way to shoot in 720/24p an then downconvert to SD when I give it to him so he can put it into FCP or iMovie and mess around with, but I still want to have the master in HDV720/24p mode in case I like the take and decide to use it. IS THIS POSSIBLE? If so then how exactly? Thanks guys.

Andy Graham October 9th, 2006 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayk Paul
the problem is that my friend doesn't have the latest version of FCP, nor do I (yet), . So I'm wondering if there is a way to shoot in 720/24p an then downconvert to SD when I give it to him so he can put it into FCP or iMovie and mess around with,

Doing a downconvert would still mean having to capture the HDV footage which neither of you can do anyway. I take it you are both waiting on the crossgrade version?. untill then the only other option is a third party capture program like HDVxDV which you would have to buy. personally i would just shoot dv and wait for the crossgrade and if you do capture magic ask Tim or Nate if there is a way to upconvert DV to HDV (never tried it myself).

Andy.

Stephen L. Noe October 9th, 2006 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayk Paul
Ok guys here's my situation:

Tomorrow I'm going to shoot a scene from my film, except it is more of a 'test' that I need to shoot and give to a friend so he can work on it in post with effects and such. By test I mean I'm not counting on using it in the film because I will be shooting the scene again later. However, as we all know sometimes that first take or 'first test' in this case sometimes turns out to be the best one and impossible to top no matter how many times you reshoot it. So basically I would like to shoot it the way I plan to shoot the film and that would be HDV720/24p...the problem is that my friend doesn't have the latest version of FCP, nor do I (yet), however I need to give him this footage so he can start working on it, experimenting with it asap. So I'm wondering if there is a way to shoot in 720/24p an then downconvert to SD when I give it to him so he can put it into FCP or iMovie and mess around with, but I still want to have the master in HDV720/24p mode in case I like the take and decide to use it. IS THIS POSSIBLE? If so then how exactly? Thanks guys.

Why not shoot 720p/30fps for your test so that you'll have footage to work with in a format that your FCP can handle? If you're going to upgrade to a version of FCP that handles 24p later then why make it hard on yourself now?

Hayk Paul October 9th, 2006 12:24 PM

Ok, what if I had access to the new FCP and shot in 720/24p, when I downconvert to SD then will my friend be able to view it on his older version of FCP?

The reason I didn't want to shoot 720/30 was because the film is going to be shot on 24 however, I will probably just do that for this test, which is still better then shooting the SD24p...

Steve Benner October 9th, 2006 02:09 PM

Download DVHSCap and MPEG STREAMCLIP (both are free). DVHSCap captures the HDV signal from the HD100 into .m2t.

From this point, you can use MPEG STREAMCLIP to transcode to any resolution and codec you need to edit with.

Hayk Paul October 9th, 2006 04:22 PM

Alright so I figured out a way to get FCP 5.1.2, so I can downconvert the 720/24p to SD, then I plan on recording the SD back to miniDV and giving it to my friend to put in his FCP, am I right in thinking this will work? and if so, how do I do the downconversion to SD. Thanks a lot guys and sorry if these questions are so juvenilie, i'm just really new to the camera and to FCP.

Steve Benner October 9th, 2006 04:53 PM

Edit your sequence in HD, then under FILE>>EXPORT>>USING COMPRESSOR

In Compressor, you can do a format conversion into 24P DV NTSC.

Hayk Paul October 9th, 2006 06:52 PM

Thanks a lot.