Stream Errors via Firewire FCPro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 15th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Stream Errors via Firewire FCPro

I was wondering if anyone else is still plagued by shots being broken due to stream or TC errors in FCPro. We have 2 cameras "A" version that still do this on perhaps 2-3 shots per tape. FCPro 5.1.2 HDV720p30.

It's not horrible like pre-"A". But some continuous shots still get broken in two during capture in FCPro.

Switching to AIC mode seems to resolve this problem and the shots capture correctly.

I'm not sure if it's an Apple problem or a JVC problem. Anyone?
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #2
New Boot

I have not encountered this problem yet, but you have my made my hackles rise. I'll keep a close watch.
Augie Arredondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beaty
I was wondering if anyone else is still plagued by shots being broken due to stream or TC errors in FCPro. We have 2 cameras "A" version that still do this on perhaps 2-3 shots per tape. FCPro 5.1.2 HDV720p30.

It's not horrible like pre-"A". But some continuous shots still get broken in two during capture in FCPro.

Switching to AIC mode seems to resolve this problem and the shots capture correctly.

I'm not sure if it's an Apple problem or a JVC problem. Anyone?

Ours did that once. I ended up capturing analog component to get around it.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I still get stream errors all the time. I have adjusted my shooting style to work around it though. I keep the camera rolling whenever possible to minimize them since i only get the stream errors when i stop recording and start recording after. I'm still fairly novice, but it almost seems as if FCP can't read the GOP correctly when shots start and end constantly.
Jon Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

what timecode do you get?

when you record direct to disk to FCP, what timecode are you getting? The timecode generated from the camera? Or, does each clip start with 00:00?

thanks,
BT Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #6
Major Player

Dave, JVC UK told me they have a firmware coming out any day now. I have all sorts of FireWire streaming problems into Final Cut Pro. With me Final Cut creates new clips when there is no scene break/pause/stop and loses a few seconds in the process. I've tried capturing a 7 minute clip, but it gets broken up into about 5 clips with seconds missing.

Firmware update will fix this and other problems apparently. In the UK the GY-HD111 and 101 just need firmware, the GY-HD110 and 100 need firmware and hardware updates.
Nigel Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #7
Major Player

You have to use pre-roll (and post) as far as time code goes. FCP doesn't read the continuous TC between starts and stops.
However, we were capturing footage from a new project this week and continue to have broken stream issues in random spots in clips. Very frustrating.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cooper
Dave, JVC UK told me they have a firmware coming out any day now. I have all sorts of FireWire streaming problems into Final Cut Pro. With me Final Cut creates new clips when there is no scene break/pause/stop and loses a few seconds in the process. I've tried capturing a 7 minute clip, but it gets broken up into about 5 clips with seconds missing.

Firmware update will fix this and other problems apparently. In the UK the GY-HD111 and 101 just need firmware, the GY-HD110 and 100 need firmware and hardware updates.
Nigel...where did you hear that HD100s need a firmware and hardware upgrade to address broken stream issues? That's one of the main things the "A" upgrade was supposed to take care of.
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #9
Major Player

JVC UK told me this. Might not be an issue with NTSC models, though I can't be sure.
Nigel Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti
Nigel...where did you hear that HD100s need a firmware and hardware upgrade to address broken stream issues? That's one of the main things the "A" upgrade was supposed to take care of.
Similar information was posted here by Carl Hicks about a day after the BR-HD50 firmware update was released.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....0&postcount=17

I've since asked an engineer friend about the viability of doing a similar style downloadable update, and as Carl alluded, he suspects there will be a difficulty because many of the HD100 units have different hardware components depending on when and where the unit was manufactered.

Who knows what JVC plans to do, but I hope they can figure out a way to make it user downloadable, or at least dealer servicable.
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cooper
JVC UK told me this. Might not be an issue with NTSC models, though I can't be sure.

Calling Carl Hicks.
Hey Carl are you familiar with any of this?
We've been operating on the assumption that it was a tape hit issue..cleaning heads even switching tape brands aftere a discussion with JVC TS.
Hearing that others continue to have stream problems with their A models and my experience with 3 reels yesterday isn't encouraging.
Let's out it this way - batch capture is simply not an option any longer. If you "log now" you can repeat the proceedure and get "most" of the stream issues to recapture after a try or two, but not all.
If we were to attempt batch capturing it would just hang somwhere inevitably.
Definitely an issue on this end with FCP and HD100 A
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #12
Major Player

We are getting the stream errors on two different cams. One thing I did notice, some of these randowm breaks occur on tape hits or at least visible MPEG errors. Others happened with no visible defect in the playing image.

We are hoping the Firestore DR-HD100 will help with this. Since they now support FCPro we are going to try using that to help with these issues. They seem tape related anyway, I could be wrong.
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beaty
We are getting the stream errors on two different cams. One thing I did notice, some of these randowm breaks occur on tape hits or at least visible MPEG errors. Others happened with no visible defect in the playing image.

We are hoping the Firestore DR-HD100 will help with this. Since they now support FCPro we are going to try using that to help with these issues. They seem tape related anyway, I could be wrong.

We're experiencing the same thing. Some are visible (not a good thing but understandable) and some are not. Likewise, some are fixable (rewind and try and capture again at that point and it might work) and some are not.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems