Filter suggestions for a matte box at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 16th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Filter suggestions for a matte box

Looking for a 4 x 4 filter set for the HD-100. No special effects, just some basic image enhancements.

Anybody have experience with the various filter grades from the main suppliers?

Schneider Optics has a seemingly nice starter set for HD. I have questions about Cavison filters. The difference in price from Tiffen or Schneider indicates a real drop in quality.

Last edited by William Hohauser; October 16th, 2006 at 08:40 PM.
William Hohauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #2
Major Player

I use a MatteBox a lot of all to add more ND filters. In a bright sunny day you have to close the iris too much, even with the build in ND filters.
A ND-to-Clear is usefull for limiting the light on skies while shooting a house for example.
For the rest, I use Warm Pro-mist 1/2 a lot to create little 'bloom' around white areas of the image. Gives me a more warm film look. One can do it also digitally in post, but a real filter is still better to my taste.
Most of my 4x4 filters are from Tiffen.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Those are interesting suggestions.

The Schneider Optics starter kit contains a circular polarizer, a 3-stop ND filter and something called "Black Frost" which seems to be a beauty effect for skin tones. Does this sound like a good start?

I have a filter set for my old PD-170 which doesn't fit, but I know that the HD-100 has enough differences that the kinds of filters that work for the 170 might not have the right effect.
Old October 17th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Those are great filters to have in your kit. You should also include a (warm) polarizer and a ND grad. These are very handy when shooting wide landscapes outdoors.
Council Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #5
Major Player

William,

We have three mattebox filters that we use religiously for mid day / outdoor shooting. The ND grad for control over skies, Circ. Polarizer for controlling glare and a clear anytime I'm sure the lens may take a hit (dirt, sparks, etc.).

It was rough prior to buying these shooting anything outdoors, they have been a worthy investment. Good luck with your purchase!
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Off to spend more money! Thanks for the advice.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems