DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Advice re: Buying 2nd HD100 or go for 110? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/77591-advice-re-buying-2nd-hd100-go-110-a.html)

Michael Lafleur October 16th, 2006 12:38 PM

Advice re: Buying 2nd HD100 or go for 110?

I've owned and enjoyed my HD100 for about 6 months now, using it to capture and create documentary interviews and the occasional live event (seminar, conference speakers, etc.). I am seriously considering buying a 2nd camera in the next few days to enhance my ability to shoot interviews and leadership training seminars, etc. It may also help me attract new business.

The 100 is available with AB mount promo at about $400 cheaper than the 110 right now. Are the 110's upgraded features that desireable and worth the extra money (and forgoing the AB promo)? Would you go for the newer 110 model or buy a second 100?

I hope to buy soon so any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

Wade Spencer October 16th, 2006 12:51 PM

Are you sure the AB promo is still going? I thought it expired August 31...

And to answer your question, I bought an HD100 when that promo was still on. To me, the AB promo was worth more than the upgrades of the 110. It all depends what your needs are though.

Michael Lafleur October 16th, 2006 09:16 PM

AB HD100 Promotion still available in Canada

Thanks for the feedback, Wade!

I have confirmed through a JVC dealer here in Canada that the AB promo is still on, especially as they attempt to clear stock before the imminent release of HD110.

I am also weighing the merits of opting for the HD 200 and all it's features versus the more modest cost and features of the 100 series.

I'd appreciate hear from anyone else, especially someone who purchased a 2nd HD100. Was it worthwhile and did you get much use out of it, or could you have gotten by with simply renting a 2nd unit as needed? In Canada, they rent for between $250-350/day.

Allan Black October 17th, 2006 06:00 AM

What about a B cam. op. do you have someone?

Michael Lafleur October 17th, 2006 03:02 PM

Seeking Mutiple Camera user advice

Hi Alan,

Yes, I have B camera operators that I can use. My real question is whether those who have used the HD100, especially for multiple camera shoots and live events, would recomment upgrade to the 110 or the 200. Or is there adequate value and functionality buying a second HD100, especially since it comes with the AB promo battery kit.

Jon Snyder October 19th, 2006 05:26 PM

I was in the same situation, and i opted to go for a second 100 to lock in the AB offer, which i agree with Wade that it made the deal worth it (plus i got the camera near cost)

I remember reading the differences and I believe they were primarily menu driven differences. Personally, i would think it to be a nightmare to have 2 identical cameras with different menu options. Always thinking to yourself how to navigate the menus and which camera had which options. I'm a staunch believer in having 100% identical cameras in multi shoots. Call me crazy!

Michael Lafleur October 19th, 2006 05:44 PM

Thanks for the advise - Buying 2nd unit tomorrow

Thanks Jon. Your reasoning makes sense to me. While the new bells and features of the 200 are attractive, I do not envision needing them for my applications in the forseeable future.

Thus, I'm heading to meet my dealer tomorrow to close the deal on an 2nd HD 100. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Hopefully I can report in the future on how 2 camera shoots work out, especially live events.

Let wrap up this thread for now.

Diana Janos October 20th, 2006 10:30 AM

Even though the battery promo "technically" ended we have extended it for dealers that still have stock.

If anyone is interested in still purchasing a GY-HD100U with the free Anton Bauer Battery system. Please contact me directly. My email address is djanos@jvc.com

Diana Janos
JVC PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS