DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   What is a good Rails support Plate for the HD100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/77792-what-good-rails-support-plate-hd100.html)

Jack Walker October 19th, 2006 12:01 PM

What is a good Rails support Plate for the HD100?

I have a large matte box, and want a third part rails support plate to go on the bottom of the HD100 and onto which I will then attach the release plate from a Cartoni Alpha tripod.

I even already have the 15mm rails. I just need the plate (though I know some of them come only with rails.)

The rails need support in two places, I think, since they are close to 24" long.

What is a good choice for a plate. I can't find any in stock anywhere to look at.
I think the Redrock plate might be perfect, but the picture is tiny and the email info I got back doesn't help much. Redrock doesn't seem to have anywhere to see the products.

What would be a good plate for long rails, attach solidly to the camera and solidly to the tripod plate, and cost reasonably. Again, I only need the plate, not a whole system.

Paul Jefferies October 19th, 2006 06:45 PM

try this company www.truelens.co.uk
I don't know much about them, except that I was talking to the guy from the company 2 days ago and he seemed to know what he was talking about

Nigel Cooper October 20th, 2006 02:35 AM

Chrosziel all the way for the JVC, much better than the rest simply because it is the only one that does not screw into the JVCs tripod bush. I found Vocas and TLS screw in this way, and they both tend to twist around on the base due to the small base size of the JVC.

Now, if you look carefully on the base of the JVC you will see 4 smaller screw threads about an inch from the centre tripod bush socket on the 4 corners of the JVCs base plate. This is what the Chrosziel uses so it won't turn or twist, once you screw it on it is there for life. The Chrosziel comes with the 4 screws and is engineered to fit the JVC to perfection. I just with Vocas and TLS could have been this innovative.

Also, Chrosziel cost the same, they are no longer that much more expensive like they were years ago. Get the Chrosziel, you won't be disappointed.

Werner Wesp October 20th, 2006 06:33 AM

www.dvtec.tv has a nice option... (hey, and if I get some sort of commission for posting this link I'd order their JVC adapterplate and support rods myself :-) )

Adam Berman January 18th, 2007 12:07 PM

Chrosziel LWS 401-413 not compatible with JVC KA-551U

I just bought the Chroszeil Light Weight Support for the JVC GY-HD100 from B&H Photo. Model number: 401-413

The Chrosziel LWS 401-413 attaches to the JVC camera using the tripod screw hole and not by using the four screws like JVC's V-mount plate to use the KA-551U.

So, if you buy the Crosziel, you won't be able to use the JVC tripod adaptor KA-551U. There is no place on the Chrosziel for the (4) screws required by the JVC V-mount plate unless there is an adaptor which I heard Chrosziel is working on.

You can see a photo of the Chrosziel LWS 401-413 with the tripod screw and not the four screw holes to mount it to the JVC GY-HD100/110:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

There is an older version called the Chrosziel AC-401-64 which is perhaps what Nigel in his post below was referring to. This does contain the (4) screws for the V-Mount but may only be available as part of a Chrosziel Mattebox kit.

http://abelcine.com/store/product.ph...327&bestseller

I spoke with a Chrosziel dealer and they said the 401-413 is the new and updated version (tripod screw). They claim is as solid and secure as the old style.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Cooper
Chrosziel all the way for the JVC, much better than the rest simply because it is the only one that does not screw into the JVCs tripod bush. I found Vocas and TLS screw in this way, and they both tend to twist around on the base due to the small base size of the JVC.

Now, if you look carefully on the base of the JVC you will see 4 smaller screw threads about an inch from the centre tripod bush socket on the 4 corners of the JVCs base plate. This is what the Chrosziel uses so it won't turn or twist, once you screw it on it is there for life. The Chrosziel comes with the 4 screws and is engineered to fit the JVC to perfection. I just with Vocas and TLS could have been this innovative.

Also, Chrosziel cost the same, they are no longer that much more expensive like they were years ago. Get the Chrosziel, you won't be disappointed.

Jack Walker January 18th, 2007 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Berman
I just bought the Chroszeil Light Weight Support for the JVC GY-HD100 from B&H Photo. Model number: 401-413

The Chrosziel LWS 401-413 attaches to the JVC camera using the tripod screw hole and not by using the four screws like JVC's V-mount plate to use the KA-551U.

So, if you buy the Crosziel, you won't be able to use the JVC tripod adaptor KA-551U. There is no place on the Chrosziel for the (4) screws required by the JVC V-mount plate unless there is an adaptor I'm unaware of or if Chrosziel has another design for the JVC GY-HD100/110 which I doubt.

You can see a photo of the Chrosziel LWS 401-413 with the tripod screw and not the four screw holes to mount it to the JVC GY-HD100/110:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

The Chrosziel unit that attaches using 4 screws is the 401-64. In turn, it has 4 screw holes to attach the tripod plate. This is indeed different from the one you indicate. Both of them have JVC HD100 printed on the side.

I don't know if the 401-64 is available alone. I bought one used from someone who changed cameras and kept the matte box but didn't need the mount anymore. My guess is that a Chrosziel dealer, one that specializes and can order parts, can get the 401-64.

You can see the 401-64 on the link below:
http://www.16x9inc.com/eDatCat/templ...-FIG02.jpg&LWS

This mount works great and another nice thing is that it takes a 3/8" tripod screw (in addition to the smaller 1`/4" screw) if your tripod plate has one (of course not of significance if you are using the large plate and attaching it by the 4 screws.

As a side note, which I didn't know at first, the JVC camera has 4 holes for attaching the large tripod plate. On the 401-64 Chrosziel uses these 4 holes to attach the rail mount. The 401-64 rail mount then has the identical 4 holes to attach the tripod adapter plate, if you are using it. (However, as indicated above, the Chrosziel 401-413 does not use the 4 holes but uses the standard tripod mount screw)

One final note, the 4 screws are special screws. First, I think they are metric. Second, if you get "official" screws, they have a coating that helps them from coming out. The screws used on the Chrosziel 401-64 are the same screws you would use to attach the JVC tripod plate.

Bas Ladru February 21st, 2007 08:06 AM

I would like to point out the fact that Vocas has 2 supports that fit the JVC GY-HD series.

Namely the MBS-100 type A which uses the 4 smaller screws mentioned above and has a V-mount underneath.

The other one is the MBS-100 type H which uses the 1/4" camera screw to attach to the camera.

So contrary to earlier claims Vocas does have a rail support that uses the 4 small screws.

Benjamin Eckstein February 21st, 2007 01:22 PM

I will add to this discussion with another question. Do any of these rails options (Chroszeil, DVtec, etc.) work with multiple camera types? I am ordering a Brevis and mattebox from Cinevate but I use the HD200, and Sony Z1U, and whatever other HDV cams my clients need.

Is there a one size fits most option for rails?

Tim Dashwood February 21st, 2007 01:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The HD200 display model in Sundance had the Chrosziel adapter and the first thing I noticed is that the vertical offset prevents the HD200/250 from taking advantage of the back support of the plate, therefore resting all of the weight of the camera on one point. However, when using the Cavision style system, everything fits as it should, with the weight of the camera evenly distributed.

I've attached a photo of each. (Chrosziel 401-64 mounted on Stedicam, Cavision RSPU + RS1525 on head) Sorry for the poor quality, the second photo was cropped from a much larger photo.)

Miklos Philips February 21st, 2007 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
The HD200 display model in Sundance had the Chrosziel adapter and the first thing I noticed is that the vertical offset prevents the HD200/250 from taking advantage of the back support of the plate, therefore resting all of the weight of the camera on one point. However, when using the Cavision style system, everything fits as it should, with the weight of the camera evenly distributed.

I've attached a photo of each. (Chrosziel 401-64 mounted on Stedicam, Cavision RSPU + RS1525 on head) Sorry for the poor quality, the second photo was cropped from a much larger photo.)

A little of topic, sorry, but Tim, what adapter is that on the camera in the photo with the Cavision rod system on the tripod? Looks like the new 16mm lens adapter... is that correct? Thanks,

Tim Dashwood February 21st, 2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miklos Philips
A little of topic, sorry, but Tim, what adapter is that on the camera in the photo with the Cavision rod system on the tripod? Looks like the new 16mm lens adapter... is that correct? Thanks,

Yep, the HZ-CA13U in both photos. I've spent some quality time with the prototype and will share my findings in the weeks to come. Bottom line: awesome!

Randy Durham March 10th, 2007 04:54 AM

Check out the Zacuto mount

I have been communicating with the folks at Zacuto (http://zacuto.com/universal.htm) and they have a new plate designed specifically to mount on the front of the JVC 100/200/250 using the JVC camera plate. I will add a link to a photo once they release it. The plate should be ready by NAB and will be shown at the show. This plate will allow me to mount my Petroff mattebox, follow focus unit, and portable teleprompter all on the same rails. :)