DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Need expert advice on my HDV workflow... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/77814-need-expert-advice-my-hdv-workflow.html)

Jon Snyder October 19th, 2006 05:34 PM

Need expert advice on my HDV workflow...

I posted a while back on questions regarding my HDV workflow, but i want to be more specific in how i ask, raising different questions.

I have 2 hd 100's, and a g5 presently (as well as tripods, mic equipment, etc...) Soon enough i am buying the JVC deck.

Few questions...

1. The component output on the camera is uncompressed 1280x720? So this means it's technically not HDV, but more just HD? (sorry, this stuff confuses me, looking to learn once and for all)

2. I want to pick up a video switcher to record onto the JVC deck. Do components like this need to be HD rated or can i assume any switcher that accepts analog component will work? If anyone has a switcher for their 100 or knows of one compatible with the 100 please let me know (even if i need to buy adapters for the video to convert them into hd-sdi or something)

3. I am curious to see how doing live switching on FCP 5 is like. I read that the software can do it, but what hardware do i need, and is it intuitive to use?

If there's any other input that people want to throw in, feel free. The only other thing I can think of is that when doing multishoot i will need my cameras to be able to go at least 100 feet if not more.

Thanks! Hoping to learn from seasoned vets that eat this type of stuff up.

Jon

Eric Darling October 20th, 2006 12:01 AM

Quote:

1. The component output on the camera is uncompressed 1280x720? So this means it's technically not HDV, but more just HD? (sorry, this stuff confuses me, looking to learn once and for all)
It's uncompressed analog. It's not HDV - that's a very specific thing, which requires FireWire for transport. I guess you could call it "component analog HD." Maybe there's a more correct term? In any case, it's 4:2:2 and not 4:4:4, so technically speaking, it is compressed in terms of color space anyway.

Quote:

2. I want to pick up a video switcher to record onto the JVC deck. Do components like this need to be HD rated or can i assume any switcher that accepts analog component will work? If anyone has a switcher for their 100 or knows of one compatible with the 100 please let me know (even if i need to buy adapters for the video to convert them into hd-sdi or something)
I don't think it would work if you're trying to record HD. The signals an SD switcher processes are strictly SD. Of course, if you're recording SD onto the JVC deck, that should be no problem.

One word of caution - 100 ft. is possibly too far for component video to travel without getting out of phase. I would test that, but it sounds at least twice as far as I'd be comfortable going.

Daniel Patton October 20th, 2006 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Snyder

From my understanding... Tenchically speaking this is correct. Bypass the tape stream / MPG, travel out component and now you have HD, of course this is also still up in the air until you decide how to capture into the system or drive array. If you go right back in as HDV and not uncompressed or DVCPROHD then you are back to the HDV standards and quality of tape. Go uncompressed (add the cost of the bridge and drive array) and you are now HD... free of HDV. Or so I have come to understand.