DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Advice on HD-251e basic setup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/77910-advice-hd-251e-basic-setup.html)

Marc Jayson October 21st, 2006 01:06 AM

Advice on HD-251e basic setup

Hello,

I'm going to order a JVC HD-251e set next week. Can you guys tell me if this is a good setup. What kind of light set do you guys use, I don't know that much about light kits. The store advised me a Lowel set. It is in the Lowel May 2006 catalog on page 61, bottom left corner.

* JVC HD-251e
* Fujinon T16x5.5BRMDU
* JVC KA-551U
* IDX, 2xEndura 7S batteries, 1xVL2Plus Charger, 1xA-E2HD100 batterybracket
* Vocas WS-JS, mattebox MB250+MB100 with French flag
* Vinten Pro-10DC tripod with spider
* IDX X3 Lite with barn-doors IDX BD-X3
* Rycote SFT12MHF softie 12cm
* CamRade WS-GY HD100 raincover
* CamRade JVC ProHD Camera bag
* Firestore 80gb with IDX O-FS100H bracket
* Lowel Light Action Kit 923Z with TO83 case (3 lights with stands)

Did I forget something? We already have microphones.

Greetings,
Marc Jayson (M-Jay)

Andy Graham October 21st, 2006 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Jayson
Did I forget something?

The kitchen sink :)

sounds like a decent set up

Andy.

Erwin Keizer October 21st, 2006 08:35 AM

Some good choices you made. I use a HD101 with a few of the items you mention, my 2 cents on them:

Fujinon T16x5.5BRMDU - not the best Fujinon lens but cheap and does the job. With my next camera I will definately pay more attention to better glass but for now... The lens is not really wide so you can attach a WCV-82SC convertor.

IDX batteries - very very nice battery set. I would recommend getting a 10 battery, lasts very long. Actually you can shoot a whole day with only one 10 attached. Also have the X3 lite but somehow I don't like to use it since it is always difficult to get the proper white balance esp in combination with ambient light. I don't know why, perhaps because it is LED.

Vocas - quality stuff. I drop by at their store (close to where I live) occasionally to get some new gear.

As for the tripod: I prefer the Sachtler setups, but many will say the Vinten is great as well. You get a JVC quick release mount with it?

Firestore 80Gb - is a great asset, you will enjoy taping to HD very much, saves incredible on your workflow, and this set always works. The bracket is a must. I attached a small strip of metal to it to clip on the mic receivers.

For the light I use the Ianiro Redheads, 800W, they come in sets of 3 or 4 and are very robust and not that expensive. I really enjoy them and also bought a bunch of filters (also daylight filters) dimmers etc. for them. Also got a fluorescent light (kinoflo) - mainly for interviews to avoid my guests from sweating under the 800Watts... - and gives great soft light.

Forget about the mic that comes with the cam. It's a life-saver, no more. don't like it at all, I always other mics (Rycote softies are great however).

Kind regards,
Erwin

Stephen L. Noe October 21st, 2006 09:20 AM

I would replace the X3 light with the Bebob light or a Paglite with varistor for your onboard shoe solution.

What will you be shooting?

Simon Duncan October 21st, 2006 09:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Marc,

I am in a very similiar position regarding yourself. I am just in the process of buying the JVC GY-HD111E as well as additional gear.

I agree with your choice of batteries:

IDX, 2xEndura 7S batteries, 1xVL2Plus Charger, 1xA-E2HD100 batterybracket

Don't know what price you are paying for them but I am looking at buying from the US the following:

http://www.batteries4broadcast.com/hd100.htm

They are charging US $875.00 plus shipping.

This converts roughtly to around 700 Euros. For the price I haven't been able to find a better deal in Europe.

This is a 2 battery 2 channel charger system.

Have a look at the attached pic and let me know what you think.

Simon

Marc Jayson October 21st, 2006 02:35 PM

Thanks for all the tips, keep them coming!

- Erwin, I'll take a look at the Redeads. The store were I'll be buying the setup doesn't have Sachtler but I also like the Vinten. I'll ask them about the quick release but I think it's in the set

- Stephen, Paglight was my first choice too but can it be powered by the IDX battery? Or do I need another battery pack? Why shouldn't I go for the X3?

- Simon, I can get a complete package deal for the whole HD-251e set here in The Netherlands

- Andy, how could I forget the kitchen sink!!! ;-)

Stephen L. Noe October 21st, 2006 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Jayson
- Stephen, Paglight was my first choice too but can it be powered by the IDX battery? Or do I need another battery pack? Why shouldn't I go for the X3?

IDX's Dtap is 50W so you can put a 50W bulb in Paglite and use it off the IDX solution. Bebob's Lux and Lux DV are really great lights and have the same capabilities as the Paglite but are easy to use off the camera as well with the Lux wand.

Bebob LUX

The IDX X3e doesn't put out enough light. Period.

Marc Jayson October 21st, 2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
IDX's Dtap is 50W so you can put a 50W bulb in Paglite and use it off the IDX solution. Bebob's Lux and Lux DV are really great lights and have the same capabilities as the Paglite but are easy to use off the camera as well with the Lux wand.

Bebob LUX

The IDX X3e doesn't put out enough light. Period.

Ok, I'm going to get some more info on the Bebob, thanks!

Floris van Eck October 21st, 2006 10:29 PM

Marc, which store are you using in the Netherlands? I am thinking about ordering one of the JVC camera's but I am not sure which store to use. Which price are they asking for the HD-250 with lens?

Marc Jayson October 22nd, 2006 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
Marc, which store are you using in the Netherlands? I am thinking about ordering one of the JVC camera's but I am not sure which store to use. Which price are they asking for the HD-250 with lens?

I'm using Inter (VCD)
my sales rep is Edwin Oosterveen. You have to ask him about the price he made a special package deal, I don't have a separate price for the HD-251e and lens.

Inter was recommended to me by JVC Pro The Netherlands. The only thing I can say about Vocas is that they aren't JVC minded, they didn't even have one in their boot at IBC. But they make great matteboxes!

Marc Jayson October 29th, 2006 10:47 AM

One more question... I have been reading a lot about Matte Boxes on this forum. Is there a reason not to buy the Vocas MB but instead go for the Chrosziel? Is there a big difference in weight?

Marc Jayson November 24th, 2006 04:19 PM

Pictures!

Click here to see some pics!

I'm still waiting for my PAG light and CamRade rain cover and bag. CamRade is making new models for the HD-2xx series because the cam doesn't fit now.

Erwin Keizer November 25th, 2006 02:21 AM

Congrats Marc, looks nice. Also the new IDX brackets looks interesting now with the HD mounted on the back and not on the side.

In the mean time I went out to buy a Bebob Lux and I must admit, a very nice on camera light.

Kind regards,
Erwin

Uli Mors December 4th, 2006 05:08 AM

Hi Marc,

I saw the Tripod pic - now your HD250 is only sitting on one of the two locks.

How stable is the complete setup on the tripod ?

I thought its a great improvement that JVC formed the HD200/250 that way that its sitting on the tripod plate with itīs front and back "foot".

With the compendium you seem to loose that option...

?

uli

Werner Wesp December 4th, 2006 05:26 AM

Nice setup...

The IDX solution works really well, but you might want to consider endura 7 batteries instead of endura 7s batteries, so you can attach them to one another if you need some more autonomy.

Further, I'd recommend to take a look at some other lenses. Perhaps the 17x5? If you buy you might get a decent price for the package, whereas when you change your mind later and want to buy the 17x (or another) anyway, it might be somewhat more expensive...

The Camrade bags are also very good, but you might want to try them for a nice fit first. I bought mine in a big store in Belgium and they allowed me to test various bags for a perfect fit first - that way I walked out with another bag then I intended first on the specs of the manufacturer.

Ah, by the way, I'm still having a Rycote Softie lying around here (it's not on the pictures of my website, as I use a Reinhardt now), if you would want that one, you might save yourself some euro's as wel...