DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   New Quick Reel shot on Mini35/HD100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/77957-new-quick-reel-shot-mini35-hd100.html)

Brian Duke October 21st, 2006 05:28 PM

New Quick Reel shot on Mini35/HD100

Hey I just finished a quick reel for my productions. Click here http://hd-motionpictures.com

There is both a windows and a quicktime file. Very small. Any comments are welcome. There are some clips from my latest project I am finsihing up soon.

Jay Kavi October 21st, 2006 08:19 PM

Brian,

Sweet reel!

- Jay

Brian Duke October 21st, 2006 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Kavi
Brian,

Sweet reel!

- Jay

Thanks, any suggestions of improvements etc? This is really the first trailor I have cut.

Jay Kavi October 21st, 2006 10:58 PM

off the top of my head, i think the shot of the guy at the table, the guy with the hat at the table, and the man in the suit walking out of the house could all be switched out for more interesting shots. Their not bad by any means, but to me they're not "money" shots. I'll check it again and give some more detailed feedback.

-Jay

Brian Duke October 21st, 2006 11:36 PM

Quote:

off the top of my head, i think the shot of the guy at the table, the guy with the hat at the table, and the man in the suit walking out of the house could all be switched out for more interesting shots. Their not bad by any means, but to me they're not "money" shots. I'll check it again and give some more detailed feedback.

-Jay

I know, its hard to pick the right shots for a reel since its very different from a movie. I don't know if I have other "reel money shots." Thanks again for your feedback.

Charles Papert October 22nd, 2006 01:29 PM

The shot of the girl is too washed-out (whether intentional or not, it looks like an uncorrected image) and the wide shot of the police car is overexposed and thus "video-ish".

Possibly both can be saved with some judicial color-correction--perhaps the cop car shot can be given a pushed-look to justify the blown-out highlights.

No reason why the shots need to have the same look as they were given in the original context; the demo reel is it's own entity.

It's a good start. The more projects you do, the more variety you will have for your demo reel and thus you can avoid repetition, which is the first indication to someone that you are still starting out. Good plan keeping the reel short as a result.

Brian Duke October 22nd, 2006 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert
The shot of the girl is too washed-out (whether intentional or not, it looks like an uncorrected image) and the wide shot of the police car is overexposed and thus "video-ish".

Possibly both can be saved with some judicial color-correction--perhaps the cop car shot can be given a pushed-look to justify the blown-out highlights.

No reason why the shots need to have the same look as they were given in the original context; the demo reel is it's own entity.

It's a good start. The more projects you do, the more variety you will have for your demo reel and thus you can avoid repetition, which is the first indication to someone that you are still starting out. Good plan keeping the reel short as a result.

Thanks Charles. Yeah, the blownout was intentional, but like you stated for a reel I may change it, and tone it down. Are you talking about the girl in the all white blownout, or in the doorway?

Its hard to cut from two shorts already and get a variety, but like you said the more I shoot the more I will have. thanks again. It helps hearing other people's opinion.

Bankim Jain October 24th, 2006 10:55 AM

Pardon me for my Frank comments.

The script was very funny & loosly directed. Actors must have been working for free. Sound was very bad.

Good Part - camera work but Pix Quality was attrocious as th quality was not good. The tralior was edited very nicely as to make one fall in the trap for seeingthis Big TimeFlop Buster. What was this whole excersie for ????

Over all a huge wastage of my bandwidth for it took me about 1hour to download this Block Buster.

No hard feelins NTSc oo sorry PAL(mate)

Joshua Clarke October 24th, 2006 11:23 AM

Brian,

Very impressive. The first images I saw, I asked myself "is that the camera I own?" Then I got depressed about my own abilities. I will agree with Jay that the shot of the man walking out of the house might be replaceable with something else. Also, the shot of the guy holding the gun to the other man's head. Great stuff.

Brian Duke October 24th, 2006 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bankim Jain
Pardon me for my Frank comments.

The script was very funny & loosly directed. Actors must have been working for free. Sound was very bad.

Good Part - camera work but Pix Quality was attrocious as th quality was not good. The tralior was edited very nicely as to make one fall in the trap for seeingthis Big TimeFlop Buster. What was this whole excersie for ????

Over all a huge wastage of my bandwidth for it took me about 1hour to download this Block Buster.

No hard feelins NTSc oo sorry PAL(mate)

Are these comments made for me? I am not sure I understand any of them. Script was funny? What are you talking about? Sound was bad? What sound? It was a 30 second reel with music. I would not have used words as waste of time, attrocious, big timeflop. Not essentially very supporting or nice, nor constructive. Frankly I am not sure where you are coming from, or what the purspose of for your comments as they don't seem to pertain tp the reel at all.

Brian Duke October 24th, 2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshua Clarke
Brian,

Very impressive. The first images I saw, I asked myself "is that the camera I own?" Then I got depressed about my own abilities. I will agree with Jay that the shot of the man walking out of the house might be replaceable with something else.

Its hard to find stuff to replace it with. I actually like that, but I'm not opposed to changing it, its just hard to find anything to replace it with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshua Clarke
Also, the shot of the guy holding the gun to the other man's head. Great stuff.

You saying that should be replaced, or you like that?

Jay Kavi October 24th, 2006 08:19 PM

I was once told to make a reel shorter rather than leave in shots that weren't impressive. But if you like what's in there definitely stand by it. As a whole i think its great. Are you working in anything else?

Bankim Jain October 24th, 2006 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke
Are these comments made for me? I am not sure I understand any of them. Script was funny? What are you talking about? Sound was bad? What sound? It was a 30 second reel with music. I would not have used words as waste of time, attrocious, big timeflop. Not essentially very supporting or nice, nor constructive. Frankly I am not sure where you are coming from, or what the purspose of for your comments as they don't seem to pertain tp the reel at all.

yeah the comments were for the Twist Of fate .... film.

Brian Duke October 24th, 2006 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bankim Jain
yeah the comments were for the Twist Of fate .... film.

Those were not very nice comments or constructive, but rather insulting. Do you generally tell people after watching their work that it was a waste of time, attrocious, big timeflop etc? Or were you just being obnoxious? This is not a good way to show support.

I don't expect people to like the work, but to completely belittle someone's work doesn't seem like a nice thing. Can't wait to see some of your work.

Brian Duke October 24th, 2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

I was once told to make a reel shorter rather than leave in shots that weren't impressive. But if you like what's in there definitely stand by it. As a whole i think its great. Are you working in anything else?

Thanks for the kind comments. You may be right on cutting a few cuts, but my goal is to shoot more stuff to add on and replace the less impressive shots. I am in post on two other projects.