DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Question about the Skin-tone Control (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/78073-question-about-skin-tone-control.html)

Marc Colemont October 23rd, 2006 02:36 PM

Question about the Skin-tone Control

Is anyone actually using the skin-tone control on the HD100?
I haven't used it on my shoots yet. But maybe it's very usefull function I don't know.
If so, when do you need it and what are the best settings to create a perfect shot?

Tim Dashwood October 23rd, 2006 03:03 PM

It is a neat idea, but I prefer to turn it off and use diffusion filters if necessary.

I haven't used it on the HD100, but did play with it back when I owned a XL2.
It is effective, but beware similar tones in the rest of your scene.

Marc Colemont October 24th, 2006 02:01 AM

Thanks Tim. That's what I do aswell through 4x4 filters and MatteBox.
I don't hear much about this Skin tone function in the HD100, so I started a thread to see if anybody is using it afterall.

Stephen L. Noe October 24th, 2006 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Colemont
Is anyone actually using the skin-tone control on the HD100?
I haven't used it on my shoots yet. But maybe it's very usefull function I don't know.
If so, when do you need it and what are the best settings to create a perfect shot?

Yes, I've used it alot. It works on the color you've chosen and leaves everything else razor sharp. Also, instead of skin, try using the function on a completely different color (like black or white or blue) and narrow your selection down to the specific color. It can give intereseting effect.

Trevor Rockliffe October 24th, 2006 05:14 PM

Skin TOne

I've used the setting on my 5000 and was shocked to find that it seemed to make everyone's skin look out of focus - not the effect I was hoping for.

Stephan Ahonen October 24th, 2006 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Rockliffe
I've used the setting on my 5000 and was shocked to find that it seemed to make everyone's skin look out of focus - not the effect I was hoping for.

That's what it's supposed to do. Only you're not supposed to use so much that it actually looks out of focus, just enough to soften wrinkles and blemishes.

Werner Wesp October 25th, 2006 02:25 AM

Hi Marc,

I don't use it either. I suppose it's more for music video's and stuff - there where you want to leave an impression, rather than a seriously sharp image that correponds to the truth. It's a standard function on any broadcast camcorder of course, but I've never used it (never with a lot of tolerance).

I got to see a very small clip of your work talking to the JVC dealer a few months back (I believe it was a few seconds of Sandrine) - perhaps in shoots like that it could prove useful...

Marc Colemont October 25th, 2006 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner Wesp
Hi Marc,

I don't use it either. I suppose it's more for music video's and stuff - there where you want to leave an impression, rather than a seriously sharp image that correponds to the truth. It's a standard function on any broadcast camcorder of course, but I've never used it (never with a lot of tolerance).

I got to see a very small clip of your work talking to the JVC dealer a few months back (I believe it was a few seconds of Sandrine) - perhaps in shoots like that it could prove useful...

Small world Werner, yes that was my work. I will do some tests with the skin tone soon to try what works and what not.

Werner Wesp October 25th, 2006 04:41 AM

Yes it is, isn't it? I suppose you have my email in CC in some of the posts of the JVC dealer concerning ProHD...

Marc Colemont October 25th, 2006 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner Wesp
Yes it is, isn't it? I suppose you have my email in CC in some of the posts of the JVC dealer concerning ProHD...

I will look it up and send you an email.