Question about the Skin-tone Control at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 23rd, 2006, 02:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Question about the Skin-tone Control

Is anyone actually using the skin-tone control on the HD100?
I haven't used it on my shoots yet. But maybe it's very usefull function I don't know.
If so, when do you need it and what are the best settings to create a perfect shot?
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:03 PM   #2
Wrangler

It is a neat idea, but I prefer to turn it off and use diffusion filters if necessary.

I haven't used it on the HD100, but did play with it back when I owned a XL2.
It is effective, but beware similar tones in the rest of your scene.
Old October 24th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Tim. That's what I do aswell through 4x4 filters and MatteBox.
I don't hear much about this Skin tone function in the HD100, so I started a thread to see if anybody is using it afterall.
Old October 24th, 2006, 07:20 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colemont
Is anyone actually using the skin-tone control on the HD100?
I haven't used it on my shoots yet. But maybe it's very usefull function I don't know.
If so, when do you need it and what are the best settings to create a perfect shot?
Yes, I've used it alot. It works on the color you've chosen and leaves everything else razor sharp. Also, instead of skin, try using the function on a completely different color (like black or white or blue) and narrow your selection down to the specific color. It can give intereseting effect.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #5
New Boot

Skin TOne

I've used the setting on my 5000 and was shocked to find that it seemed to make everyone's skin look out of focus - not the effect I was hoping for.
Trevor Rockliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Rockliffe
I've used the setting on my 5000 and was shocked to find that it seemed to make everyone's skin look out of focus - not the effect I was hoping for.
That's what it's supposed to do. Only you're not supposed to use so much that it actually looks out of focus, just enough to soften wrinkles and blemishes.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 02:25 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Marc,

I don't use it either. I suppose it's more for music video's and stuff - there where you want to leave an impression, rather than a seriously sharp image that correponds to the truth. It's a standard function on any broadcast camcorder of course, but I've never used it (never with a lot of tolerance).

I got to see a very small clip of your work talking to the JVC dealer a few months back (I believe it was a few seconds of Sandrine) - perhaps in shoots like that it could prove useful...
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 04:33 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Wesp
Hi Marc,

I don't use it either. I suppose it's more for music video's and stuff - there where you want to leave an impression, rather than a seriously sharp image that correponds to the truth. It's a standard function on any broadcast camcorder of course, but I've never used it (never with a lot of tolerance).

I got to see a very small clip of your work talking to the JVC dealer a few months back (I believe it was a few seconds of Sandrine) - perhaps in shoots like that it could prove useful...
Small world Werner, yes that was my work. I will do some tests with the skin tone soon to try what works and what not.
Old October 25th, 2006, 04:41 AM   #9
Major Player

Yes it is, isn't it? I suppose you have my email in CC in some of the posts of the JVC dealer concerning ProHD...
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Wesp
Yes it is, isn't it? I suppose you have my email in CC in some of the posts of the JVC dealer concerning ProHD...
I will look it up and send you an email.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems