a few questions before purchase... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 23rd, 2006, 04:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

a few questions before purchase...

i have been looking around but can't seem to find the answer to a couple of questions i have about this camera...
* is it native 16:9?
* any comments on how it might compare to canon's xl h1, or the new xh series? (i have researched technical specs, so i am really more curious about reasons why you have gone with jvc over canon?)
* gy-hd 110 and final cut pro??

thanks. i am looking to finally make a purchase on the next week or so. i really appreciate any imput.

joe.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Joe,

I have done alot of research about the entry level HD Cameras.... I am upgrading from the Canon XL1s and have personally decided on the HD110. First an answer to the native 16:9....it is, and I should also mention that its a true progressive camera, JVC didn't use some fancy way of making the footage look like true progressive, they actually use true progressive.

I should mention that i have not bought the camera yet but in a couple of weeks I will definately be making the purchase. Here are some reasons why I have decided on the HD110:

1. I have read that this camera really shines in the handling/ergonomics. Its relatively small and light, and very comfortable and makes great hand held shots.

2. The focus assist really works! And when shooting in HD focus is crucial!!

3. I like the idea of a fold out LCD (mostly for framing/composition)

4. It shoots great standard Def, and true 24p in HD.

5. because of the new realeases of the HD200/250 there are some pretty sweet deals. (namely B&H Photo are offering a pretty good deal w/the AB Battery system)

6. and finally i really like the support that JVC is offering, like having a rep (Carl Hicks from JVC) very often in these websites offering details and support! And also that they built the camera using a panel of people who actually use Cameras....so they put in the input of what they would like to see in these cameras!

I was at first quite intereested in the new XH Canon series, but in the line of work i do, i just don't think that they would be a very good camera in handheld situations. I'd have to get some expensive vest support system or something, and i've also had a look at some footage that people have been posting like George D, comparing his stuff to the stuff that Disjecta put up. I personally prefer the look of JVC's footage.

But i guess it all comes down to personal preference and matching the gear to what you do, and will be using the equipment for, In my opinion all the "affordable HD cameras", offer very professional products that can and will produce great professional quality Video, its just a matter of what is right for the Cameraman.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Brian Ladue; October 23rd, 2006 at 10:38 PM.
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:37 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Olesh
i have been looking around but can't seem to find the answer to a couple of questions i have about this camera...
* is it native 16:9?
Yes. The chip is native 1280x720. That means that even in DV mode, there is no cropping and stretching from a 4x3 chip - this is pure 16x9.

Quote:
* any comments on how it might compare to canon's xl h1, or the new xh series? (i have researched technical specs, so i am really more curious about reasons why you have gone with jvc over canon?)
I had high hopes for the XLH1 when it was announced because of the SDI out and BNC connectors. I thought "they've upped the ante" for JVC.
I also owned a XL2 at the time and figured their 24 HDV mode would look just as good.
However, I then tested the Canon XLH1 in 24F mode next to the HD100 in 24P mode, and was disappointed in the results.
From a pure resolution standpoint the HD100 beat it hands down. My best guess is that the XLH1 scans every other line (540) when in "F" mode and then line-doubles to achieve 1080PsF. The horizontal resolution didn't seem to be as good as I would have expected either.
I'll post the lens chart comparisons.

From a user standpoint I wasn't crazy about the continuance of the XL form factor. I've used XL1 and XL2 extensively in the past and I had hoped Canon would have moved away from this form factor when they entered HDV. To each his own!

I also tested the two gamma curves and once again the HD100's knee and Cine curve allowed more dynamic range, and a more organic "film look."

The XL lens was not fun to work with. It was basically an update of Canon's earlier XL lenses, with backfocus issues and servo controlled optics that run on rails. When I bought my XL2, I bought the body only and then used Canon's manual 16x lens. As far as I know, Canon has still not released a manual XL HD lens - although with the resolution of the chip in 24F mode, the old 16x or 14x manual XL lenses will probably resolve sharp enough.
Quote:
* gy-hd 110 and final cut pro??
FCP 5.1.2 is compatible with 720P24, 720P25, and 720P30 native HDV.

EDIT: As promised, I've attached a quick comparison of HD100 vs XLH1 resolution tests. The HD100 is set to Minimum detail level, and the XLH1 is on Normal Sharpness level - which seemed to match pretty closely.
This is a pixel for pixel comparison, so you will see the size difference based on 720P vs 1080i.
Attached Thumbnails
a few questions before purchase...-canonxlh1-vs-jvchd100.jpg  
Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thank you both so much. it really does help. i am a young filmmaker, and very anxcious and excited about investing in equipment. these forums have helped so much.

thanks again.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
thank you both so much. it really does help. i am a young filmmaker, and very anxcious and excited about investing in equipment. these forums have helped so much.

thanks again.
Joseph you can take a look at some stuff I shot and get an idea what the possibilities are with it. Just go to www.hd-motionpictures.com and check it out. I wouldn't work with any other camera as of now. Just gives a really impressive film look which i want.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:27 PM   #6
Major Player

Joseph,

To also help justify your purchase, I don't think anyone here has mentioned directly that since the two cameras use a different HDV standard...

JVC HD100
HDV1
native 1280x720 Progressive

Canon
HDV2
native 1440 x 1080 Interlace

Comparing the two is pretty much apples to oranges. As a "young filmaker" and likely wanting no part of an interlaced signal (or a simulated progressive signal as Tim already mentioned), the Canon might not be the best camera for comparisons against the JVC anyway. Only if you start shooting for broadcast and want a native interlaced camera might you look again at the Canon. We also came from Canon cameras, before the JVC.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #7
Trustee

Well one thing's no one mentioned is price. All things being equal, the Canon's probably better (the resolution is quite a bit better - due both to the camera and superior lens) IF you're shooting something like sports or live news gathering.

For narrative work (short/feature length films), it's pretty hard to beat the JVC100 for "best bang for the buck." I bought mine brand new w/IDX battery for under 6 grand. It's list right now for $5200 at B & H - $4500 used. You're looking at 9 grand (at least over at B & H right now) for the XL-H1.

So there is a substantial price difference between the two. That's a big thing, of course, but I think the fact that many more indie films are being shot on the JVC also is very important. It means others like the 'look' and that others have gone through the fire with this camera w/ a finished product. Read about Andrew Young's experience in Madagascar with one of the first produced JVC100's - you'll be amazed at how tough the camera is (he dropped in a river, dried it out over a fire and it still worked).

Of course, the best thing would be to use both and judge for yourself - but I know that's not always possible. Good luck!

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks!!

that helps alot. this was exactly the kind of feedback i was hoping for. i am looking into B&H, and also zgc. i definitely want to stick with the sponsored carriers supported here.

thanks again.
Old October 24th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I am also in a similar postion to Joseph.

I am about to buy the JVC HD111e.

But does anyone have any thoughts on the merits of the 111 over the 110?

I understand the only difference really is that the 111 has in & out abilities from tape whereas 110 only has out abilities? Is this correct?

Meaning with the 111 I can go back out to MiniDV tape whereas with the 110 I couldn't.

Thanks
Simon Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #10
Major Player

A couple of things not mentioned: The HD100U might require handling by someone that knows what they're doing. It's not really a point and shoot camera and if you use it in auto mode you may be disapointed with results.

Consider the cool idea of exchangeable file settings, which no other camera in this price range has. This might actually help on the point above: download the 'truecolor' settings or any of the ones posted by the forum members and you're on to a better start.

Don't forget Tapeworks Texas as a possible dealer too. I never shopped from them personally but heard a lot of praise on their service.
Old October 24th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Duncan

Meaning with the 111 I can go back out to MiniDV tape whereas with the 110 I couldn't.

Thanks
I'm pretty sure you can do this with both. The 111 is just the PAL version of the 110. I may be wrong though.
Old October 24th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferdinand
A couple of things not mentioned: The HD100U might require handling by someone that knows what they're doing. It's not really a point and shoot camera and if you use it in auto mode you may be disapointed with results.

Consider the cool idea of exchangeable file settings, which no other camera in this price range has.

Good points Dave. I wonder if dealers still let the camera sit around w/o some scene files programed in - if not, it's pretty easy to do, and going through the menus let's you get a feel for how the camera's file management works. Didn't know the XL-H1 didn't have swap-able files... On multicam shoots, this is a real time saver.

I think the 'E' version of the camera has some limitations that the other (US/CANADIAN) versions don't have, but I can't exactly recall what they are - check into this. Far as dealers go, EVS is excellent as well, with nice reps.

If willing to buy used, there might be someone on this forum who wants to part w/ his camera. Be careful that any used (or new for that matter) camera has had the "A" upgrade performed - it's not just firmware, but some minor hardware as well, so it's no easily done by local shops.

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #13
Major Player

I was having cold feet about the 110 as I'm slated and funded to pick it up (and another $10K worth of stuff as well). As you guys know... spending that kind of money will leave you with some sleepless nights.

But after reading the comments above, I'm ready to roll. B&H all the way. You guys rock!
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #14
Regular Crew

IMPORTANT!!! Buy the IDX or Anton Bauer Battery, if you run it on the JVC Batt, it will run out in a few hours.
Federico Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico Lang
IMPORTANT!!! Buy the IDX or Anton Bauer Battery, if you run it on the JVC Batt, it will run out in a few hours.
You mean a few minutes.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems