JVC Run and Gunner at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 24th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #1
New Boot

JVC Run and Gunner

I'm not waiting, I am jumping in with both feet and eyes wide shut (good thing I don't shoot like that) into the HD market. I'm picking up a JVC HD100U(A) and I'm crossing my fingers that I won't have issues, besides my personal ones.

My friend, a Canon XL1 news shooter, has already bought one (his XL is up for sale) and now I have ordered the JVC with the AB promotion. The deal is too good to pass up, I was going to wait for the 200/250 but for news and weather viz I think it is more than I need.

I already have a JVC GY5000 but it's starting to change to blue and red screens when I turn it on, it also produces complete snow over images. This is very noticable in the viewfinder and it records that way as well. When it happens I just turn the camera on and off it resets itself and produces great quality. I like the camera but I know it is a lemon, it has been in the shop for 8 months in the last 2 1/2 years, for major drop outs and audio glitches. JVC paid for all of the work but then they should becasue it started to have problems les than a month after I bought it. It has been fine ever since JVC replaced the complete insides head and all.

So why JVC - again? I still think they have a great product I have used them for years and this is the first time I've had problems. They always gave me a loaner and the new camera has everything I need for shooting news and weather for the networks, so as they say in Hol'em I'm all in! The 100 is also so light, I've had to lugg my 5000 several miles miles on foot on many occasions (forest fires, snow storms, wrecks) and I'm not getting younger, so I'm looking forward to using my arms after a shoot witht he new camera. The real reason, my Ex-Canon guy showed me his footage and I was blown away.

I've made the buy but I'm still a little nervous remembering the time I was shooting Canada's PM talking about the Pope dying and I get a head glog warning. Hopefully JVC is true to their word and have fixed the problem(s) because I'd hate to ask another leader of any country to repeat what they just said becasue I have a camera issue.

I also opted for the Miller Solo carbon tripod with the DS10 head so now I'm really light.

Cheers from Canada Eh. I'll keep you posted.
Trevor Rockliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Rockliffe
... I'd hate to ask another leader of any country to repete what they just said becasue I have a camera issue.
LOL, that is classic.

Good luck with the new camera!
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Rockliffe
I was going to wait for the 200/250 but for news and weather viz I think it is more than I need.
TBH, I think this is a bad idea. 30p footage does not hold up well at all next to the 60p footage comprising the rest of a newscast. Trust me, a local shooter working for FSN shot a bunch of interviews with an HD100 for a prep football show, and when they played during halftime they looked really bad.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #4
Major Player

The GY-HD200 and GY-HD250 are both aimed at ENG. So I guess your decision is a bit premature and based on wrong arguments. Unless you don't have the budget for the more expensive camera's of course.

But 720p/30 for ENG sounds a bit challenging.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:35 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
The GY-HD200 and GY-HD250 are both aimed at ENG. So I guess your decision is a bit premature and based on wrong arguments. Unless you don't have the budget for the more expensive camera's of course.

But 720p/30 for ENG sounds a bit challenging.
I don't think his arguments are wrong - they just wouldn't apply in all regions.
It sounds like Trevor will be shooting for NTSC, so this is all irrelevant anyway. DV modes on the NTSC models include 24P and 60i - so the choice is there. Trever is obviously experienced and has weighed his options.

If he wants to protect for HD, shooting news and especially weather in 720P30 will also look great, and won't present any problems aesthetically for Canadian broadcasters when downconverted.
I do freelance work with all of the major networks here (Bell Globemedia (CTV & Discovery), AllianceAtlantis(Food, Showcase), CBC, Global (TVtropolis) and CityTV) and they all seem to love progressive scan source in SD or HD, as well as 16x9 letterbox. CityTV started the trend years ago with "faked" progressive scan using Avid "s" resolutions. It always broke my heart to watch it on air because they were essentially cutting the vertical resolution in half, but it became their signature "look" for programs like "New Music."

Anyway, I digress.

Cheers Trevor. Good luck with your purchase, Eh! The Canadian AB kit really is a good deal and I heard from my dealer here that there aren't many left in stock.
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:32 AM   #6
Major Player

I agree, it's all about what you'll be shooting. If you will be shooting in Standard Def, it will defenately be file... (50i or 60i)
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #7
New Boot

News Vs. Frame Rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen
TBH, I think this is a bad idea. 30p footage does not hold up well at all next to the 60p footage comprising the rest of a newscast. Trust me, a local shooter working for FSN shot a bunch of interviews with an HD100 for a prep football show, and when they played during halftime they looked really bad.
Ah, let me explain - I will not be shooting my news footage in the different frame rates available with the 100, that would look like junk - I will use the other frame rates for special projects and mini-docs that I plan to produce. In other words my news and my day to day bread and butter will come from the standard DV setting on the camera. Today 90% of news stations around the world are not acquiring on HD - it is DV Cam, DVCPro and mini-DV. I send most of my stuff via FTP sites and my news is only MPEG2 and some full screen AVI - it already takes me 15 minutes to send 2 min. of MPEG2 and 30 min to send 1 min. of AVI. I can't imagine how many days it would take to send HD. When I shoot news I capture 15 min. of footage edit down to three 2 min. chunks and send it in. My camera will be working for thirty minutes two or three times a week - until I work on my specials. The other way to send in news is direct over fiber, in many city’s the telcos have set up boxes that you unlock and plug in, two XLRs and one BNC that's right only video out, you hit play and it is recorded at what ever station you direct it to in real time.

I picked up the JVC because it has all of the controls of full size pro units and it will rest on my shoulder (some what) - and it is light as hell. I know people who do what I do with XLs and PDs but the menu items are a real pain especially if you're running down someone trying to hide as they go into a court room - if you know what I mean. The XLR Mic connections are perfect on the JVC (unlike the XL). I also like the quick release mic holder. Plus I can inter-change my lens and when I'm ready to do a mini-doc I can in HD. Plus my cost on the unit was under $7500 with the Anton's. My buddy has already sent in test footage from his 100 in MPEG2 and they raved about the image quality in the news room. But yes I am still crossing my fingers.
Trevor Rockliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #8
New Boot

The roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Cheers Trevor. Good luck with your purchase, Eh! The Canadian AB kit really is a good deal and I heard from my dealer here that there aren't many left in stock.
Thanks Tim, it was getting hot in here. I have also shot for: Discovery, E-Entertainment, CNN, ABC, Global and the CBC. I am now almost exclusive with CTV for news. All the shooters I have worked with, no matter what they are shooting on have had issues with their camera's and tape - firestore is my next big purchase.

I thought I'd get an interm HD camera for three years and then up-grade back to full size for the Olympics in Vancover, all to be done in HD.

Cheers,
T.
Trevor Rockliffe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems