Capture issues using HD110 as a deck with FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 24th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Capture issues using HD110 as a deck with FCP

I just bought a HD110 and shot my first JVC HD piece for a client in 30P. Now I am using the camera as a deck with latest FCP using native HDV 720P30 timeline/easy setup, and every time while capturing, it aborts capture wherever I had stopped tape and gives an "MPEG stream error".

This happens with both batch and capture now. I have selected "report timecode breaks after capture" in preferences.

I have shot/edited native HDV with Sony Z1 before with NO PROBLEMS (it would just create a new clip for each stop/start but not abort), so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance...
Brian Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I just bought the HD110. Perhaps I don't have the camera setup correctly for firewire transfer but there are import problems with Lumiere and Mpeg Stramclip. Lumiere just shows it as a HDV device. Mpeg Streamclip reports TC problems although it plays the clip. Virtual DVHS seems to play the clip but no video is present on the output.
Dee Joslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #3
Wrangler

Brian,

What machine do you have and what processor speed. Also, are you capturing to a firewire drive or internal?

You shouldn't be having any problems with 720P30. As far as we know the HD110 is as compatible as the HD100 was.

Please let me know as much about your setup as possible and I might be able to make some suggestions.
Old October 27th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for your interest in my question, Tim:

I have a Dual 1.8 G5 PowerPC with 4 gigs RAM, writing to an second internal SATA. I know the machine can handle native HDV, as I have used it for 1080i without any hiccups.

Also, i tried capturing with AIC, that works fine, but I would like to stay native HDV if possible. I haven't shot 24P yet, but now I'm worried it will be an even bigger headache.
Brian Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mills
Thanks for your interest in my question, Tim:

I have a Dual 1.8 G5 PowerPC with 4 gigs RAM, writing to an second internal SATA. I know the machine can handle native HDV, as I have used it for 1080i without any hiccups.

Also, i tried capturing with AIC, that works fine, but I would like to stay native HDV if possible. I haven't shot 24P yet, but now I'm worried it will be an even bigger headache.
Yeah, its doubtful you will have any stream hiccups with that setup!

I did a search of the "late breaking news" document and found this.
Capture issues using HD110 as a deck with FCP-screengrab-80.jpg

This suggests that a TC break may be reported as a stream error.

So my next question is... what setting was your TC switch set to when you shot the tape? It should have been set to REGEN to do the type of continuous capture you want to do.

If you have recorded with FREE RUN or REC, then you will have to log your clips and just make sure your inpoints are about 6 seconds after the break and your out points are a couple seconds before the break. You should then be able to batch capture without problems.
Old October 27th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
If you have recorded with FREE RUN or REC, then you will have to log your clips and just make sure your inpoints are about 6 seconds after the break and your out points are a couple seconds before the break. You should then be able to batch capture without problems.
Sorry to jump onto this thread, but I'm looking into 'log and capture' as good practice in my (eventual!) workflows. Should I therefore stick concentrate on FREE RUN & REC TC when filming or carry on with REGEN. I'll mostly be filming short cut aways (corporates and short films/documentarys).
Thanks.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have a Quad Core G5, 8 gig ram. The latest FCP and Lumiere. Lumiere seems to record a m2t. When I try to play through MpegStreamclip I get a "One or more transport streams have a bad size" message. FCP won't do anything when I try to log and capture. The control window comes up but nothing works. I've checked all my settings.

On the PC side, I've tried Pixela HD Capture. It doesn't recognize the HD110. The only one that seems to show me any video and record is Vegas.

My wifes little Canon HV10 works fine through 1394.
Dee Joslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Joslin
I have a Quad Core G5, 8 gig ram. The latest FCP and Lumiere. Lumiere seems to record a m2t. When I try to play through MpegStreamclip I get a "One or more transport streams have a bad size" message. FCP won't do anything when I try to log and capture. The control window comes up but nothing works. I've checked all my settings.
Mpegstreamclip works well at fixing timecode breaks and stream errors. If you accidentally captured over a start/stop break with LumiereHD, then you can easily mark in (I) and out (O) and resave the m2t.

As for your FCP not recognizing the camera. You should be running FCP v 5.1.2. v5.1 or 5.1.1 will only recognize the camera when it is in 720P30 mode.

Other things to check are the HDV/DV switch. (Make sure power is off before switching it.)
Also make sure that you are in VTR mode and not CAM mode.
Old October 28th, 2006, 05:28 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Mpegstreamclip works well at fixing timecode breaks and stream errors. If you accidentally captured over a start/stop break with LumiereHD, then you can easily mark in (I) and out (O) and resave the m2t.

As for your FCP not recognizing the camera. You should be running FCP v 5.1.2. v5.1 or 5.1.1 will only recognize the camera when it is in 720P30 mode.

Other things to check are the HDV/DV switch. (Make sure power is off before switching it.)
Also make sure that you are in VTR mode and not CAM mode.
I have the latest FCP and switches are in the right positions. ALso, the m2t files won't play through my DVHS. Canon m2t's play fine. I'm using virtual DVHS via firewire to my JVC DVHS. MpegStreamClip gives the "bad size" error but will load anyway. When playing the m2t it seems to stop on the scene change. I've used many HDV cams (JVC HD1, HD10, Sony FX-1, Canon, etc.) and never had any issues with firewire import or DVHS.
Dee Joslin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems