DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   TV show featuring the HD100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/78203-tv-show-featuring-hd100.html)

Brian Chow October 25th, 2006 11:40 AM

TV show featuring the HD100

Well it's finally out now. We've been shooting with the HD100 for about 3 months now and our show has finally aired. It is shot in HDV 720P then downconverted to SD. It will be also broadcast on Global HD in Canada soon. This is our 4th season and our 1rst season with the HDV. Pretty happy with the camera other than the gop thing and editing in FCP HDV, also have a camera with an audio problem in channel 1 and also have another camera that creates a ton of drop outs, no matter if the heads are cleaned or tape stock. We have 3 cameras in total.

The online video is going to be converted to flash soon at a higher quality so soryy for the crappy encoding quality. The show number is 401. We were under the gun and just slapped it up there. We also have 2 other shows that we do in house that will be airing shortly. One on Canada and the other on PBS united states. It's a cooking show series.

www.drivingtelevision.com
Brian

Mark Whittle October 25th, 2006 07:58 PM

Top Class stuff, Brian.

How did you mount the camera for the in-car stuff, and did you need lighting inside the cars?

Cheers,

Mark

Jack Walker October 25th, 2006 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Chow
... also have a camera with an audio problem in channel 1 and also have another camera that creates a ton of drop outs, no matter if the heads are cleaned or tape stock. We have 3 cameras in total.
www.drivingtelevision.com
Brian

If I understand this correctly, you have one out of three cameras that you can use. Have you tried to have the two cameras with problems fixed?

Will you continue using these cameras, or are you looking for something different?

What were the reasons for choosing these cameras? Is your HD broadcast going to be 720, or is it going to be converted to 1080?

Thanks!

Brian Chow October 27th, 2006 05:08 PM

Dtv

All the in car stuff is done without any mounts. I find that if I just jam the camera against something and hold it as tight as possible, it works just fine. We've had several people email us and ask what kind of mount we use.

As for the 3 cameras, the one with the dropouts is more of a back-up for now. The one with the audio problem is not an issue because we only take audio from one camera, the other one would work in a pinch if we needed it since channel 2 still works. During December when we're slower, we will send out the cameras for a full overhaul to get us ready for the next season.

We chose these cameras at the time because at the time, there was only this or the Sony Z1. We like using a real lens opposed to a fixed and the ergonomics for interviews off the shoulder were much better suited for this.

When it's time to broadcast to HD, we will most lilkely upconvert to 1080i, depending on the broadcaster. We have an HDCAM deck so I guess that's only 1080i, not quite sure.

All in all, we're quite happy with the HD100's considering that they are used every day at least 5 days a week so I suppose a few problems may be expected. BTW, anytime we've had problems, JVC Canada have always been there with excellent support and service.

The next episodes will be streamed at a much better quality so I hope you people can enjoy. The show is briadcast on a weekly basis.

Brian Chow

Earl Thurston December 10th, 2006 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Chow
Well it's finally out now. We've been shooting with the HD100 for about 3 months now and our show has finally aired.

Hey Brian, I just caught one of the new episodes this morning. I recognized the "HD100-look" instantly -- it looked stunning, absolutely gorgeous.

Great job!

Steven Thomas December 10th, 2006 07:51 PM

Nice work Brian!

Great moving shots. I thought you were using mounts too.

Steve

Brian Chow December 11th, 2006 11:45 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the compliments. The footage is getting better and better every shoot. In HDV it's absolutely gorgeous. It kills me to have to downconvert to 480i. Hopefully we 'll have a sponsor soon to pay for the HD broadcast. The networks will take it right now in HD but someone has to pay for the extra costs involved. We will be testing an HD250 soon as well. It should handle the motion shots much better, we'll have to wait and see.

Brian

John Vincent December 11th, 2006 01:07 PM

Hey Brian - I thought we weren't allowed to be shown on camera!

Looks great - enforces something I've thought since I first saw footage from the camera - It loves sunny exteriors. Maybe all cameras do, but the JVC does seem to look a bit more real than most.

Very professional. Did you use the stock lens (I noticed a lot of zooms)?

Also, how did you shoot driving from another car - ie - when shooting the minivan driving when in another moving car?

Great work -
john
evilgeniusentertainment.com

Brian Chow December 12th, 2006 04:45 PM

car to car

We use the stock lens for now. Don't really have the budget yet for the big guy. Our car to cars are done on sticks usually out of a minivan. Glad you enjoyed it. Shots of cars in motion when it's pouring rain also look great. Something we have to deal with since we're on the West Coast.

Brian

Warren Shultz December 14th, 2006 07:07 PM

Hey Brian,
Just curious if you tweak the camera or just use stock settings. Looks good!

Warren

Brian Chow December 15th, 2006 05:07 PM

Settings

I use Paulo's True color 3 setting slightly modified. Too bad you can't see it in HDV, it's really great. Here is another show that we shoot with 3 HD100's
www.marriageuncensored.com This is also filmed with the same settings.

Thank-you Paulo for your hard work.

Brian

Brian Chow December 15th, 2006 05:12 PM

Sorry

Sorry, season 4 of Marriage Uncensored is not online as of yet. This is when we changed the studio and the camera gear. I think the podcast may be up to date though. Not sure, it's not my department.

Brian

Paolo Ciccone December 16th, 2006 09:48 PM

Hey Brian.

I just watched a couple of segments. Very nicely done. Glad that TrueColor worked for you too.