Am I crazy???? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 25th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Am I crazy????

I have a new client in Australia that wants me to shoot some interviews for a doc they are doing. They are doing most of the shooting with the XDCAM HD camera in 1080i50 35mb.

I can rent a camera for a local shoot but they want a shoot in California as well (I am in Maryland).

I am I crazy in shooting the interviews with my HD100 in 720p25 mode, then inputting all the footage into my FCP system and then exporting it out via HDSDI into a XDCAM HD deck in 108050i 35 mbit settings?

The footage will be nicely lit interviews in controlled settings.

My NLE setup is a Dual G5, FCP 5.1.2, Decklink HD card.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 04:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Nicely lit interviews and not a lot of motion should be fine. Depending on who the audience is, no one should notice....
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Shooting through a fairly low-quality lens on 1/3" chips then running it through a standards conversion and a second generation of lossy compression will not look as good as a first-generation camera master shot through a (probably) higher quality lens on 1/2" chips.

Exactly what the quality difference would be, I couldn't tell you, but personally, I'd just rent an XDCAM rather than go through that process.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #4
Wrangler

Keep it simple and shoot it all in the same format. I wouldn't dub Mpeg2 to Mpeg2 if I were you. You'll have many headaches.

It shouldn't be too hard to find XDCAM HD for rent in California.
Old October 26th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #5
Major Player

Tim,

Thanks for the feedback.

Renting in LA would not be a problem. The Bay Area doesn't seem to have the cameras being used as much as down south.

I will take this over to the Sony Cinealta HD forum. This doesn't need to plug up the discussions here.

Thanks,

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems