Where or when is the HZ CA13U ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 6th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Wow Chris, that was great! I heard him say " for 200 and 250 series" , however, I am assuming for 100/110 also? Just flipped?
Hayes Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #17
Major Player

YESSSSS! Thanks a ton for posting this - color me very excited!
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #18
JVC America

A message to our ProHD supporters on DV Info:

Thanks very much for all of your support. Here's the very latest word on the HZ-CA13U...

An operational prototype of the HZ-CA13U is scheduled to be shown at DV Expo West. It will be flown in directly from our factory in Japan. So, pending any importation issues, we plan to have it on display with a 16mm film lens.

Regarding the physical attributes, it is as Carl has described - the adapter is designed to retain the 16mm lens' field of view. Depth of field, however, will vary by the lens. The adapter is comprised of all precision optics with no moving parts, so loss of light is minimal. Mount is PL (Precision Lock).

Pricing will be under $5000.00, and only available in the US. Availability is planned for December.

The HZ-CA13U can be used with all of the ProHD cameras, however the GY-HD200's and GY-HD250's are the only camcorders to be able to directly record the image right-side-up with its image inversion technology. The 200 series also have dynamic shading compensation to help provide prestine imagery.

One final note - we will also debut the new GY-HD200U, planned to be dressed with the HZ-CA13U.

We'll be in booth #603 at DV Expo. Please come by and check out the new gear.

Many Thanks,
Craig
Craig Yanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Thx for the info Craig

I have a Canon 8-64 Super 16 zoom I used to use on my Aaton.

Correct me if I'm wrong but with this lens, I would not get the reach of the 16-1 provided with the camera, but how much wider would it be?
Also, being a super 16 lens is there any advantage / disadvantage over a 16mm lens on the 101e. Thx
Geoff Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #20
JVC America

Geoff:

Unfortunately, the adapter is so new that we don't even have specifications yet.

From my brief knowledge gained in the design of the adapter, I've been informed that the field of view for 16mm is different from 35mm, and that Super16 is more closer to 35mm with regards to FOV.

That being said, the HZ-CA13U had been designed with 16mm film lenses in mind, taking into consideration all of the 16mm film cameras being used in film institutions, and also considering that there are a large number of DP's who own at least one 16mm film lens, probably hibernating somewhere. The HZ-CA13U would enable this glass to "see the light" once more.

It's a great time to be an independent filmmaker...

Craig
Craig Yanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #21
Major Player

So the HD110/111 cameras have been ruled out? and JVC has no plans to ship these outside of the U.S? Oh well I guess you can't win them all.
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemore Santos
So the HD110/111 cameras have been ruled out?
Hi Jemore. I don't read it that way, it seems to me you can use the HD100/101/110/111 however the image will be flipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemore Santos
JVC has no plans to ship these outside of the U.S? Oh well I guess you can't win them all.
Let's hope overseas users can at least order from US dealers.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #23
Major Player

HD100 and 200 use the same lens mount, it's a standard 1/3" bayonet mount used by ENG lenses. And lenses or lens adaptors that fit on an HD200 or ANY standard 1/3" camera will fit on HD100. 1/2" and 2/3" broadcast lenses are usable using an adaptor, in fact FSN North is using a 1/2" adaptor to put a lens from one of their old DVCPRO cameras on their HD100 to replace the stock lens.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #24
JVC America

DV Expo West Update

Bad News / Good News:

- We won't have the 2nd rev. of the HZ-CA13U at DV Expo West.

- We will have the first prototype with optics on hand.

Just to clarify, as Stephan has stated, the HZ-CA13U will work on any 1/3" bayonet mount. There are no electronics involved with the mount. Images from prime lenses will hit the camera imager upside-down.

FSN North is most probably using the ACM-12 1/2" to 1/3" adapter so that they can recycle their glass. That's great news. The image on ProHD camcorders, or any camera for that matter, will reciprocate when you use good glass.

Craig
Old November 9th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #25
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Yanagi
The HZ-CA13U can be used with all of the ProHD cameras, however the GY-HD200's and GY-HD250's are the only camcorders to be able to directly record the image right-side-up with its image inversion technology.
For those planning to use a lens adapter like the HZ-CA13 on a HD110 or HD111, the latest beta version of MpegStreamclip (1.8b2) now includes a rotation/inversion function in the export pane. If you plan to use an intermediate codec during post, this will save you tonnes of render time in your NLE.

I would guess that "180 and Flip" would be the right choice.
Attached Images

Old November 10th, 2006, 07:25 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Thanks Tim. Are there quality/loss issues with flipping/rotating, and how to minimize?
Hayes Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 07:41 AM   #27
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayes Roberts
Thanks Tim. Are there quality/loss issues with flipping/rotating, and how to minimize?
Not that I know of. Mpegstreamclip handles it all in one step, so there should be no change in quality.
Old November 12th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #28
Major Player

News from the future: November 15, 2006

The suggested list price of the HZ-CA13U is $3,995 and delivery is expected to begin in December 2006.
Read the press release here > http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/p...&feature_id=08

One thing that bothers me is the $9,695 sugested list price of the HD200.

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #29
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi
The suggested list price of the HZ-CA13U is $3,995 and delivery is expected to begin in December 2006.
Read the press release here > http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/p...&feature_id=08
How did you find that? Just by searching the JVC site for HD200? I'm surprised they posted the press release on the website so early.

If the price for the HZ-CA13U is $3995, then it will sell well! That's less than half of a full P+S Mini35 setup, without the fuss.

I'm very excited at the potential of this device, especially at that price.
JVC seems very committed to the low-budget filmmaker who wishes to make big-budget images.

I took a look at the images posted there of the HD200. I like the fact that they decided to adopt the BNC connectors and form factor of the HD250.
I think it is priced right if you consider the closest comparison with similar features is the XL-H1 priced about the same.
Would you have ever dreamed of a 24P HD camera under $10000 with these features two years ago?
A revolution is happening in the professional video marketplace, and I think the fact that Sony is selling their XDCAMs at such a low price is proof.
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Would you have ever dreamed of a 24P HD camera under $10000 with these features two years ago?
Two years ago, a 24p HD camera selling for less then $20.000 to $40.000 would already have been unthinkable. Would anyone have guessed they could even pour it into such a small form-factor? It's like the XL-series with a real lens, but much better images....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems