DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Best NLE for HD100,110,200 - $15,000 or under (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/78295-best-nle-hd100-110-200-15-000-under.html)

Ian Mora October 26th, 2006 06:08 PM

Best NLE for HD100,110,200 - $15,000 or under

Since Avid is still dragging their feet on 24p support,.......what is the best editing software/suite/nle/system for $15,000 or under. And who is the best provider (promax?, B&H?, etc.). In other words,.....what kind of system, software, and setup would be best for jvc line and this money,....IYO.

And I've asked this before but not sure if I was clear in my question. If I'm capturing from HD100 straight to a firestor (in m2t?) doesn't this get around the whole 24p capture problem of Avid Xpress?

Thanks,.....
Ian

Antony Michael Wilson October 26th, 2006 06:36 PM

No, your hard drive does not solve the Avid problem. Avid (except Liquid) will not ingest or handle native HDV1 (m2t) files at 24 or 25fps. Period. The only current work-around is to use another application to capture (not necessary if you're using the Firestore, of course) and transcode to the appropriat DNx variant. Then you can edit 720p/24 or 1080p/25 or 1080p/24 in the existing project structure.

As to the NLE choice, PPro, Liquid and Edius all support HDV1 well on the PC but if you want maximum flexibility (for third party hardware support and useful skill-set) then it has to be FCP with a Decklink card. If you're not in a huge hurry and you're used to Avid and don't have a Mac then I'd just sit tight for now and wait for Avid HDV1 support. It looks like it might happen early in the New Year, according to information I received from UK tech. support today.

Stephen L. Noe October 26th, 2006 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Mora
Since Avid is still dragging their feet on 24p support,.......what is the best editing software/suite/nle/system for $15,000 or under. And who is the best provider (promax?, B&H?, etc.). In other words,.....what kind of system, software, and setup would be best for jvc line and this money,....IYO.

And I've asked this before but not sure if I was clear in my question. If I'm capturing from HD100 straight to a firestor (in m2t?) doesn't this get around the whole 24p capture problem of Avid Xpress?

Thanks,.....
Ian

Liquid Chrome HD will utilize every single aspect of ProHD hardware including the uncompressed workflow (analog capture) and the compressed (1394 m2t) workflow in any framerate offered. It's a great match. To this I'd include Wavelab 6 & Boris Red & After Effects which are all integrated into Liquid directly but required additional purchase. (total package around $11,00 retail).

If your capturing to firestore then you'd be more insterested in the Liquid Pro setup which will ingest the files directly from your firestore at any framerate. The cost of the software only Liquid solution is a measely $500 and you'd be cutting immediately with your current setup. The Liquid setup with Pro box is also incredibly affordable at $1000.

There are other solutions for sure, but I can tell you from a couple years experience that ProHD and Liquid are a great match.

good luck.

Ian Mora October 27th, 2006 11:29 AM

Upgrade

Do you think the 24p support will be an upgrade to current Xpress? or only available in the next version?

Antony Michael Wilson October 27th, 2006 12:11 PM

No one knows except Avid and they won't tell us. I keep badgering them all the same.

Steve Benner October 27th, 2006 12:34 PM

Based on the reports that it will be available in the early part of next year, that also coinsides with their talks of a Universal Mac Version of Avid as well. My guess and worry is that it will be Xpress Pro 6 which will likely not run on my Powerbook G4. But again, who knows.

Stephen L. Noe October 27th, 2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Mora
Do you think the 24p support will be an upgrade to current Xpress? or only available in the next version?

I would be very suprised if they do any more with the format and Xpress, but we'll see.