Genlock BR-HD50 deck? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 27th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Genlock BR-HD50 deck?

Can you explain how to genlock a br-hd50u for those of us unaware?

You also mentioned in another thread about the "A" cams needing another firmware update to use FCP 5.1.2 can you go into the details of those issues? I just got my crossgrade discs but would rather hold off on the upgrade if theres going to be issues.

thanks Tim.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #2
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Silva
Can you explain how to genlock a br-hd50u for those of us unaware?

You also mentioned in another thread about the "A" cams needing another firmware update to use FCP 5.1.2 can you go into the details of those issues? I just got my crossgrade discs but would rather hold off on the upgrade if theres going to be issues.

thanks Tim.
Mark,

The BR-HD50U by itself is not gen-lockable. You would need to connect it to an outboard frame sync or TBC in order to gen-lock it's signal.

Regards,
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Wrangler

Hi Mark,

What I was describing in the other thread was how to setup the Decklink to use its own sync generator when capturing form a non-syncable source.

I don't have a BR-HD50 connected at the moment, but I'll tell you what I can from memory.

My suite has a external "house sync" backburst generator for my Betacam deck, scopes, and Decklink. However, when connecting the BR-HD50 (in NTSC mode) to the component in of the Decklink I couldn't get a proper signal because the BR-HD50 wasn't genlocked. I think I tried house sync on the LINE IN of the deck and set the input to line. However, that must not have worked for me either because I ended up disconnecting the house sync from my decklink, and following the Decklink instructions for looping the internal sync back into the card.
This worked well with the BR-HD50 deck, even though the input signal still wasn't locked to the sync being generated by the Decklink. For some reason, the Decklink allows input of non-syncronous signals when using its own sync generator.

Read this document on the Blackmagic support site.
http://www.decklink.com/support/detail.asp?techID=105

However, what I basically did was take the Y out from the decklink and connect it to the genlock in on the decklink. You can use a BNC thru-barrel or a T connector to do this. I think I used a T connector and then was able to maintain a YRB output connection to my monitor.
Next, go into the Blackmagic control panel and set the "Black video out when in capture" to "analog out."

That seems to do the trick, and no more sync problems.

You may have different results depending on what model you have. For example, I'm not sure if the original Decklink HD even has a blackburst generator. What I described should work fine with the newer Decklink HD Extreme for SD or HD.

Also, you should set your RS-422 to TYPE 7 in the HD50 menu. I had the best results with this protocol.

As for the firmware update for HD100A, I was referring to what Carl mentioned in this post. I have no other information.
FCP v5.1.2 does work in native HDV with the HD100A and newer. Don't hesitate to install the latest version because of the camera firmware. It won't make a difference, and at least you'll be able to capture 720P24 or 720P25, along with all of the other small improvements to the software.
The main issue I've identified so far has to do with 24P TC capture. Otherwise, FCP5.1.2 works smoothly with the HD100A in all modes. It seems that many users around here have no need for repeatable TC, so this isn't a big deal. Unfortunately it is a deal-breaker for those of us who use traditional offline/online batch conform workflows.
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Tim! I own a multibridge extreme and I see what your talking about.

Carl can you be more specific about the hd100 optimizations for fcp 5.1.2 in the next
firmware update?
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #5
Major Player

Tim,

We also have the Multibridge Pro, and the BR-HD50 but have not run the two together yet. The Multibridge has been used as our bridge to bypass HDV from the camera but only during controlled studio shoots. However, for outside the studio and straight shoot to edit we still intend to use the HD100's tape transport and HDV via 1394. You mention the use of sync during "NTSC mode", so is this a non-issue for us with HD, as we don't ever work in SD?

If you don't mind me picking your brain a little more..
I have also wondered if we gained anything using the Multibridge as a form of ingest after the fact, once we have used the HD100's tape transport. I would think not, but I'm unsure. My understanding is that once the image is encoded to MPEG2, that it's best to work as I have in the past via 1394 and that nothing is gained by using the Multibridge from this point, or is there. Would you mind sharing your understanding of this? Anything would be appreciated.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #6
Wrangler

I haven't tried the BR-HD50 with a Multibridge yet, but will next week. I have plugged the camera directly into the multibridge and captured without any issues.

I would bet that you won't have any sync issues with the multibridge.
Old October 28th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
I would bet that you won't have any sync issues with the multibridge.
I'm assuming you mean with the deck. If so then that's good to know.

We have been using the camera through the Multibridge direct capture to DVCPROHD and it works great for us too. No issues there.

Let me know if you find anything good with the deck and Multibridge.

Thanks
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #8
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Silva
Thanks Tim! I own a multibridge extreme and I see what your talking about.

Carl can you be more specific about the hd100 optimizations for fcp 5.1.2 in the next
firmware update?
Hi Mark,

We don't have any details yet on FCP 5.1.2 optimization for the cameras yet. So currently, the best way to use FCP 5.1.2 is with a BR-HD50U deck that has the 1.06 firmware.

Regards,
Old October 30th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #9
Major Player

Carl

With the release of the GY-HD250 this week, is there any news about a companion VTR that will also have SDI output, and Genlock input?

Will the BRHD50 be able to play back the HDV 60p footage from the HD250?

Dave Beaty
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beaty
Will the BRHD50 be able to play back the HDV 60p footage from the HD250?
This feature was added with the firmware update. v1.06

For SDI out I suggest the HD-Connect LE. I've tested it and it works like a charm. The cheaper HD-Connect SI would also work for HDV to HD-SDI conversion.
In either case, you can still use the deck's RS-422 control, and just program in an offset for the firewire delay.
Old October 30th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #11
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
This feature was added with the firmware update. v1.06

For SDI out I suggest the HD-Connect LE. I've tested it and it works like a charm. The cheaper HD-Connect SI would also work for HDV to HD-SDI conversion.
In either case, you can still use the deck's RS-422 control, and just program in an offset for the firewire delay.
David, Tim's answers above covers most of your questions.

You could also use the Miranda HDV Bridge to get HDSDI out.

JVC does not have any immediate plans to add a deck with HDSDI out and genlock, so the two solutions suggested above would be the way to go to get HDSDI. For genlock, you would need to add an outboard frame sync or TBC.

Regards,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems