Kona LHe Digitizing Problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 27th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Kona LHe Digitizing Problems

Is anyone having luck using a Kona LHe card in a Mac Pro with the HD-50? Here are my problems, some outlined in an earlier post.

Deck control is non-existant. It constantly flickers between VTR OK and VTR Trouble, then goes to "A new tape has been inserted". This morning I finally figured out how to circumvent this by using my old Keyspan USB to serial adaptor.

All looked great during digitize, but on playback the audio is completely screwed up. there are lots of pops (not peaks) and the sync isn't remotely close. Video is perfect, time code has no problems.

I am digitizing using the Kona DVCPro HD codec. Unfortunately my X-Raid can't handle 8 or 10-bit. Could this be my problem? I know Tim has said to stay away from DVCPro HD. This card just got approved for use in the Mac Pro's, so I'm just wondering if that might not be the problem. Spent the day on the phone with Promax today and they have no idea. I'll be talking with AJA on Monday, but I was just wondering if anyone else has this setup and it's working right.

Thanks,
Burt Holland
www.encyclomedia.net
Atlanta, GA
Burt Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Holland
Is anyone having luck using a Kona LHe card in a Mac Pro with the HD-50? Here are my problems, some outlined in an earlier post.

Deck control is non-existant. It constantly flickers between VTR OK and VTR Trouble, then goes to "A new tape has been inserted". This morning I finally figured out how to circumvent this by using my old Keyspan USB to serial adaptor.

All looked great during digitize, but on playback the audio is completely screwed up. there are lots of pops (not peaks) and the sync isn't remotely close. Video is perfect, time code has no problems.
Burt, we are using Kona LH cards in our G5's with FCPro and BR-HD50's. Make sure you are using the correct settings for LH. It works for us using DVCproHD without many problems. Serial control also works. We have a serial cable from the Kona to the BR-HD50. We use the "Sony A 29.97" FCPro device settings with controller 7 set in the BR-HD50.

On the LHe control panel, set primary to 720p 59.94. Set genlock to video.

Then in FCPro select the Aja 720p 59.94 DVCpro HD easy set up.

Remember, even if you shoot in 24p, the analog output is 59.94 in HDV mode.

Sometimes we have to turn the deck off and back on to get it to sync up.

There is a bug that seems to cause the Aja control panel prefs to get corrupt. If it happens to you, you'll know because from then on all audio out of Kona will be distorted or cutting in and out. Everything including test tone will be distorted.

Other than that gotcha, you should be able to capture clean 720p DVCPro HD.

Dave Beaty
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Fixed!

My problems were in my Decklink card. Just plopped in my replacement card and all is well. 14 months after buying my HD100 I am finally digitizing without issue. Woo-hoo

Burt Holland
www.encyclomedia.net
Atlanta
Burt Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm having the same problem as Burt.

Sorry to bring back this thread but I'm having the same control problem Burt was having. I just installed an LH card in my g5 and managed to capture 2 tapes to dvcprohd, without problem. When I put my third tape in the deck to capture I started getting exactly what Burt said "It constantly flickers between VTR OK and VTR Trouble, then goes to "A new tape has been inserted". I tried the settings Dave mentioned to no avail. I was originaly using the aja panasonic deck 59.97 control setting. Burt you said the problem was with your Decklink card. Did you mean your Kona card or do you have a decklink card in your computer as well?
Bryan Shelley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems