DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   iPOD as HARD DRIVE for JVC??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/78555-ipod-hard-drive-jvc.html)

Hayk Paul October 30th, 2006 10:38 PM

iPOD as HARD DRIVE for JVC???

A friend of mine says that some software company is about to come out with some sort software where the iPod can be used as a harddrive like the Firestore, is this true???

Tim Dashwood October 30th, 2006 11:34 PM

It's an interesting idea, but I haven't heard about it yet.

Shaun Wilson October 30th, 2006 11:53 PM

No doubt possible, an iPod can function as an ordinary external hard drive. However, iPod HD's are notoriously unreliable. I wouldn't be using one to capture any footage of any importance.

Tim Dashwood October 31st, 2006 12:06 AM

The other thing that makes be suspect it won't happen is that iPods haven't supported firewire data transfer in about 1.5 years. I doubt a firewire to dock connector cable would allow for recording control. I guess we'll wait and see.

There was an announcement of this device around NAB06, but who knows what's happening with it? Could this be what your friend was talking about? It doesn't modify the iPod software, just mounts it as a hard drive.

Hayk Paul October 31st, 2006 12:31 AM

I guess, I'm not sure. I'm just hoping someone will come out to challange Firestore which has no competitors and therefore charges ridiculous amounts, if they had some competition then the prices would definitley go down.

I'm in pre-production for a feature I will be starting jan/feb07, and the harddrive would really really really help my workflow, but paying almost $2000 is crazy, I mean it shouldn't be more than $1000 as far as I see it for what I'm getting.

Also the feature will be shot in 24p to go to FCP, which the Firestore doesn't support yet (quicktime), though I've heard it will be having a firmware update before the end of the year...

So if not the iPOD, then anyone please!

Jemore Santos October 31st, 2006 01:34 AM

I remember a while back, Kaku Ito actually formatted his Ipod and captured footage from his HVX200. It is do'able but you will have to get rid of your songs.

Hayk Paul October 31st, 2006 01:40 AM

How is it doable exactly, does it work for the JVC too? 720/24p?

Matt Setnes October 31st, 2006 02:18 AM

I think this catapult product is a complete waste, unless you're recording on tape as well, I see no reason to risk footage on an iPod. What kaku did wasn't recording, he was just offloading the p2 cards. I think a programmer and an engineer should get together and develop a simple device, which allows the use of external firewire drives someday.

Barry Gribble October 31st, 2006 05:59 AM

I think the Catapult looks great. I have a little 120 GB USB hard drive that is no bigger than an iPod and is so far completely reliable. I would love to capture to it directly.

Mark Silva October 31st, 2006 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayk Paul
I guess, I'm not sure. I'm just hoping someone will come out to challange Firestore which has no competitors and therefore charges ridiculous amounts, if they had some competition then the prices would definitley go down.

I'm in pre-production for a feature I will be starting jan/feb07, and the harddrive would really really really help my workflow, but paying almost $2000 is crazy, I mean it shouldn't be more than $1000 as far as I see it for what I'm getting.

Totally agree with you. I think the new prices on the base model is now 699 or 799, but WAY more for larger drives. Ridiculous. Somebody needs to come along with the same kind of functions, but only sell an empty chassis so you can put any kind of sata drive in there.