HD100 720/24p and Adobe Premier Pro 2.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD100 720/24p and Adobe Premier Pro 2.0

I just shot a short film JVC 720/24p HDV where the master content was imported into the director's edit system (Windows/PP2.0) so that he could generate a rough assembly of the film, using the HD100 as VTR. While prepping the shoot a couple months ago, the post workflow was not pinned down yet, but upon wrapping the shoot last week, the director got in touch with Adobe and they said PP2.0 would fully support native JVC 24p HDV both from a audio and video standpoint into his Windows system (based on the specs he gave them). Original plan was make SD dubbs of the HDV masters with TC window burns and deal with the HD content later on... We still plan on uprezzing the final movie to 1080p and dump off to HDCAM for festival delivery, but I wonder if we should assume the PP2 cut is offline and we will use an EDL or window dubb to go back and do an HD conform when the time comes.....

Back to last week: the director bought the newest version of PP2 and while awaiting it to be shipped from Adobe, he downloaded the trial version of PP2 to get a headstart, and the trial did not have full functionability that PP2 stated it would (hmmm....). Are they updating PP2 without changing the version to 2.01, etc? In any event, when the Adobe PP2 discs arrived, I called the director and he told me that the footage was captured and cutting normally, the backup audio that we recorded to the camera was in sync with the dialogue!!! (I thought there was surely a catch and he must have been hallucinating). I am entirely unfamaliar with Adobe Premier and the WMF setup, so when I went to confirm that things were working, I could only do a visual inspection of the image, correct aspect ratio, and general content as being imported as native HDV. It looked normal and I was kinda puzzled as he had no Cineform or Main Concepts plugins, no Kona Card... nothing that I have had to or heard about recently in order to line up HD100 24p A/V correctly in ANY NLE.

Question: Does this situation seem to good to be true or am I missing something? I do not know how to do an "Info" check in the capture scratch folder of the WMF's to look for the frame rate 23.98 and image size 1280x720. How do I check to see if the image info of a WMF in a Windows/PC system? Will a Mac with Windows Media Player be able to play a WMF if I drop some clips and burn them onto a DVD from the Windows System? Or do I need to convert to Quicktime to view/play clips on a MAC? (Flip4Mac)

Does PP2 export a timeline as a self contained movie which can then be laid down as a longer WMF onto DVD? Can Windows/PP2 export the timeline as a QT movie and be played on both Mac and Windows?

Can PP2 export (print to tape) the MPEG2 720/24p HDV timline back out to a HD100 or JVC BRXXX deck IN HD? Or is this still the yet to be solved issue that the NLE's are dealing with.....?

Many thank in advance!

Taylor Wigton
DP, Los Angeles
Taylor Wigton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Wow, lot of questions. For the main question regarding PP2 and 720/24P, it works as it should and was one of the few that has worked from early on. No real gotchas in regard to this, none that we have found anyway. Cineform is not required, but that also depends on the horsepower you have and the system you intend to cut on. I will not go into what you do gain from it as their site covers all that just fine.

PP2 is just an NLE like any other, like FCP, etc. that lets you export the full movie to whatever format/codec you have installed on XP.

If you are going to look it over on a MAC it might be a good idea to render out to a quick time file... but not required.

The Print to tape has worked for me once, but then I also remember having some problems with it. I don't recall.

Capture cards are great for captureing native from the camera and bypassing the HDV MPEG2 tape stream/compression, but again it's not required, it just improves the quality of the capture.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Does PP2 export a timeline as a self contained movie which can then be laid down as a longer WMF onto DVD? Can Windows/PP2 export the timeline as a QT movie and be played on both Mac and Windows?

Respuesta: Sí es posible generar un archivo wmf-HD HDV 1280x 720 a 24p desde premiere pro 2.0

Can PP2 export (print to tape) the MPEG2 720/24p HDV timline back out to a HD100 or JVC BRXXX deck IN HD? Or is this still the yet to be solved issue that the NLE's are dealing with.....?
Respuesta: No. Ppremiere pro 2.0 sólo puede "print to tape" en formato HDV30p.

Posiblemente usando matrox RTX2 y premiere 2.0. Matrox ya anunció soporte HDV24p.
Saludos
Old November 3rd, 2006, 03:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Anyone willing to translate... mines, eh, rusty.
RED ONE #977
Old November 4th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Translate jejejeje

Yes, thats possible wmf-HD 1280x 720 24p create file from PremierePro

No. Ppremiere pro 2.0 print to tape" ONLY in HDV30p format

Perhaps whith the matrox RTX2 and premiere 2.0. Matrox RTX2 support HDV24p native.
Old November 4th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Thank you Oscar, it's easier in English for a majority of us.
RED ONE #977
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
Wow, lot of questions. For the main question regarding PP2 and 720/24P, it works as it should and was one of the few that has worked from early on. No real gotchas in regard to this, none that we have found anyway. Cineform is not required, but that also depends on the horsepower you have and the system you intend to cut on.
Okay, but the only presets in Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 are

SONY 60i, Sony 50i, and HDV 720 - 30P... Which one do you use for 24P 1280x720?
Peter John Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #8
Major Player

you can type the 24 fps in the custom settings window. Adobe has/had an update to add the 24p preset, but the capability was there all along.
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #9

Just found a download on the Adobe Site for this....

http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/..._ProHD_HDV.zip

That's the freebie presets for 24P, 25P, and 30P - NOTE: 24P & 25P do not have EXPORT TO TAPE... not sure how to lay it back to tape, but that's there now...

Last edited by Peter John Ross; November 11th, 2006 at 02:38 PM.
Peter John Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Only Print to tape 30p

Is Correct, this upgrade for premiere pro 2.0 support 24p 25p and 30p.
Forget to mention ONLY PRINT TO TAPE 30p HDV.
But the wmv-hd 720p support 24p 25p and 30p. Im totally surely of this video export.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems