Fujinon 17x5 lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 4th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Fujinon 17x5 lens

After two days of testing, I just bought the new Fujinon Th17 x 5BRMU lens for my HD100. Here are my initial observations:

Back focus: much easier, with a back focus ring that is machined much better than the one on the stock lens.

Focus tracking: if you get the back focus right, the focus tracks perfectly between telephoto and wide angle. (I had trouble setting back focus with the stock lens, perhaps due to lower resolution; whether a result of this or not, I but still had a lot of problems with focus tracking (or racking) with the stock lens.)

Resolution: Although I don't have a resolution chart to give you numbers, there was a noticable improvement in resolution over the stock lens; I saw this in the star chart, as well as looking at some recorded footage on my 24" progressive scan monitor. I also found the focus assist feature worked farther into the wide angle settings; with some scenes I could use it even at 40mm. Might be due to the better resolution providing more high frequency detail to work with as the lens is widened.

Speed or light: I also gained a solid stop of exposure, actually close to 2 stops. I will do more testing to verify this.

Color and contrast: the color was more saturated and rich than the stock lens; I also perceived slightly more contrast in the images; using the star chart I also noticed a slight improvment in contrast. Might have been the improved resolution.

Breathing: still has some; didn't do a comparison with the stock lens.

Chromatic Aberation: have not yet had a chance to create the conditions that cause it; I'll report back after I do some shooting next week. Have not noticed any yet.

Unfortunately I have not had a chance to compare it to the 13x wide angle lens, but I feel it is well worth the money, and a solid improvement over the stock lens.

The filter threads are 82mm, and the outer shade ring is 85mm, same as the stock lens; about 1/2" longer, and somewhat heavier. I would suggest a lens stabilizing rig, like a set of rods with the lens support piece at the end, to prevent flexing of the lens mount on the camera body, which results in focus changes; those of you with a good matt box already have this problem solved.

Keep the shiny side up.

Gary
Gary Morris McBeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Thank you, Gary. That's good news about the better image quality. I've been eyeing that lens since it was announced. $3k, right? Where did you purchased it from?
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

George,

A local reseller, Media Tools, in Bellevue Washington. E-mail me direct and I'll give you his phone, address etc.

Gary
Old November 5th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Is the narrower focus a problem?
Old November 5th, 2006, 05:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Joe,

Not sure what you mean by narrower focus?

Gary
Old November 5th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Morris McBeath
Chromatic Aberation: have not yet had a chance to create the conditions that cause it; I'll report back after I do some shooting next week. Have not noticed any yet.
Shoot wide open, or anything from 2.8 - open, stay near the end of the telephoto, and rack focus a little, this will show more CA. Since you are trying to create the condition anyway. ;)

After working with the 13X just tonight for the first time, I'm real interested in what you found with the Fujinon 17X. I imagine the 17X might be better than the 16X simply due to better glass and it's higher price, but it's not going to be a cure for CA altogether. However, the other aspect's you mention make it a consideration.

If you don't mind me asking, about what was the price range you saw (or paid) for the 17X? We are convinced that we will upgrade our lens both for the 250 purchase, as well as our current HD100.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I think list is around $3300.

I'll have more to report after more shooting in the field. You might say I'll be outstanding in my field.

Sorry.

Gary
Old November 6th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Gary, maybe I'm confused, but at full wide, I thought the 17x would be narrower than the 16x.
Old November 6th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #9
Major Player

The 16x is 5.5mm at its wide end, the 17x is 5mm - hence the 17x is very slightly wider than the stock 16x lens.
Old November 6th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #10
Trustee

Now that we're talking about its wide end.
How is barrel distortion on the 17X5 compared to the stock at wide?
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Steven,

Barrell distortion, or what I've always called parallax error, at the same focal length (5.5mm), is just about the same in both lenses. It might be slightly more at 5mm, but I cant really tell for sure just checking against some doorways in the house. In either case it is not excessive enough to be an issue for me. Certainly a lot less than "Pro" level std def lenses I've used.

I've also just checked CA, and although still there, is noticeably less on the 17x than the stock lens.

Remember, these are my observations, and also based on the type of shooting I do. Yours may vary, so I suggest test, test, test.

Gary
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #12
Major Player

Can someone possibly take a picture and "draw" in Photoshop the field of view comparison between the two lenses? I think Tim did something like this with the WA adapter, the 13x wide zoom and the stock lens. Pretty please...?
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Is barrel distortion the fish eye effect?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #14
Regular Crew

OK, this is the last report of my testing on the 17x lens.

Earlier I reported I had gained a stop or two with the new lens over the stock lens. I was in error.

The light outside had changed some, and I took an erroneous reading on my light meter. I just did a controlled test indoors, with tungsten lighting, and both lenses are virtually identical, using the point where zebras just start to show as a reference point.

I know better! Sorry about that.

I am still happy with my purchase, and for the type of shooting I do, breathing is not an issue. Having a super wide angle is also not an issue; although the WCV-82 WA converter does not fit the 17x, I could always snap the stock lens back on with the converter to get that slight extra width.

I would assume if you do a lot of indoor or dramatic shooting, then the 13x or the coming 18x4.2 would be the answer.

Enough of my rambling for one night.

Gary
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:36 AM   #15
Major Player

And how's the weight of the 17x5 compared to the 16x5.5 ?

On http://users.telenet.be/wespproductions/wesp-kiezen.htm you can see I'm doing a lot of hand-held shooting and even with 1 or 2 small IDX batteries the camera with standard lens isn't perfectly balanced, so I'm worried about a heavier lens...

Last edited by Werner Wesp; November 8th, 2006 at 09:05 AM.
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems