What is a fair warrantee? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 9th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What is a fair warrantee?

I'm definitely about to buy a 101e in either Jakarta where I live or fly up to Singapore and get one there.

The sales head in Jakarta has just told me the CCD's and the recording drum [the upper drum in his words] are not at all covered by any warrantee.
Why not - doesn't he have any confidence in the camera he is selling? IS the camera that bad...no way from what I hear here.

Surely this is close to the rip off end of the line isn't it?

What has been your experience with warrantee conditions.
Any advice is appreciated
Geoff Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Geoff. Warranty should normally cover parts and labour. A defective drum or head should be covered, but not wear and tear. Can't think why the CCD should not be covered.

If you're coming to Singapore you could try Expandore for your cam. They can provide either a local (i.e. Singapore) warranty from JVC or a Mack warranty which can be used at certain listed repair houses.

Do a search for Exandore if you are not familiar with them. As well as the online store, they have a shop in Singapore, near the Sim Lim Square electronics and computer mall. By the way, the prices at the online store are without warranty, it costs around S$313 extra for the Mack warranty. And don't forget to check on the GST situation otherwise you could end up with an additional 5% that you weren't expecting.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 02:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thx for that Richard.
I'll be in Singa's in a week or two so i amy do that. Yes i do check out Expandore from time to time.

Why they [the dealer here] thinks I will accept that sort of treatment here is way beyond me. i'm not.

thx for the advice
Geoff Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #4
Major Player

I never bothered to look at the specifics of the warranty, but I've had some problems with my HD101 and they have been very forthcoming on serv ice to me. My HD101 ate a tape. They checked it and cleaned it, but there was nothing wrong. After that (a few months later) it gave a warning everytime I inserted a tape. Then they've changed the cassette loading mechanism by a new one.

But moreover: I've been unlucky. You could just the same having no problems at all. Overall the build quality is fine, so perhaps you won't need warranty :-) ?
Old November 10th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It's important to have the warrantee in case I do need it, but what is this when the guy [JVC agent here in Jakarta] can get away with no warrantee on some of the most important parts of the camera. Surely this is not what JVC would want from their resellers. Do they have am international policy towards the client/buyer, and what does it say about their reputation if they wont stick up for the buyer. Anyone from JVC here want to comment?
Geoff Jak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems