compatible DVD player at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 10th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #1
Major Player

compatible DVD player

With the war raging between HD-DVD and bluray-disc, the JVC SRDVD-100 seems a nice and cheap solution for the time being. Are there any plans to release this model in europe as well (Carl? Any idea?) - because for now, we have no easy solution to view/distribute HD (beside playing via the deck or the camcorder).

It would be great if it would also play the cineform files instead of just m2t files - but the DVD's would be filled very very fast that way and it serves no likely purpose to anyone but producers themselves...
Old November 10th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #2
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Wesp
With the war raging between HD-DVD and bluray-disc, the JVC SRDVD-100 seems a nice and cheap solution for the time being. Are there any plans to release this model in europe as well (Carl? Any idea?) - because for now, we have no easy solution to view/distribute HD (beside playing via the deck or the camcorder).

It would be great if it would also play the cineform files instead of just m2t files - but the DVD's would be filled very very fast that way and it serves no likely purpose to anyone but producers themselves...
Werner,

I'm not privy to marketing plans for other parts of the world, so please contact your local JVC rep with that question.

The SR-DVD100 will play not only .m2t files, but also Windows Media HD (.wmv) files. Most NLE's can export in this format.

Regards,
Old November 10th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #3
Wrangler

I use one of these media players and I highly recommend it. Talk about a "jack-of-all-trades" device!

When shooting a film, I ask for the m2t captures from the previous day to be burned to a DVD-ROM for instant HD dailies. When the post-process involves and intermediate codec like cineform, a WMV can be re-encoded for selected dailies.
In conjuction with the Firestore DR-HD100, it is even easier. Just plug the Firestore into a laptop, connect the SR-DVD100 via a ethernet cable, create a shortcut/alias to the firestore and put it in your movies folder.
Now you can watch directly from the DR-HD100 via the ethernet.

This thing also plays WMV9 and DIVX, as well as ripped VOB or any other mpeg2 stream... and the 1080i upconverter works really well.

It also connects to the internet and you can browse and play content from news sites or watch short film straight from iFilm, etc.

An did I mention it interfaces with iTunes and will even play your playlists through the ethernet? Awesome.

I would guess that those people who use a PVR to record HD streams might also be able to archive them to DVD-ROM and play them from the SR-DVD100. I don't have a PVR so I can't confirm this theory.
Old November 10th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #4
Major Player

Stop it Tim! :-)

Remember this thing isn't available in Europe and you're making my mouth water.

Anyhow, I've asked the local rep a while back, but he wasn't even aware of the product...
Old November 10th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #5

The JVC player appears to be the same as the AVeL Link Player.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #6
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens
Very similar. The JVC version adds DVI output.
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens
It IS the AvelLink player 1. Kuro-Obi. Manufactered by IO-Data.

Much like the DR-HD100, the packaging and product do not say "JVC" anywhere on them. However, it does have the "ProHD" logo in huge type on the box and on the player.
http://www.iodata.com/usa/products/p...100_4_zoom.jpg

I think JVC Professional is just the distributor.

http://www.iodata.com/usa/products/p...&tsc=&sc=AVELK
Old November 10th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #8
Trustee

Will this player also playback HDV2 files as recorded on, for example, the Z1U?
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
When shooting a film, I ask for the m2t captures from the previous day to be burned to a DVD-ROM for instant HD dailies.
Tim, could you please, be more specifit regarding this workflow? I.e., when I capture the footage from the HD100 into Avid it creates its own files? Correct? How would I get the "dailies" out onto a DVD?
Old November 10th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
Will this player also playback HDV2 files as recorded on, for example, the Z1U?
Yep. Sure does. In fact the unit ships with a JVC demo DVD with a full 1080PsF24 m2t stream (1920x1080.) This thing basically plays any mpeg2 transport stream that has a .vob, .m2t or .tp extension, no matter NTSC, PAL, 720P, 1080i or 1080PsF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
Tim, could you please, be more specifit regarding this workflow? I.e., when I capture the footage from the HD100 into Avid it creates its own files? Correct? How would I get the "dailies" out onto a DVD?
If you live-transcode the incoming stream to any other format like Avid DNxHD or Cineform, then you would have to encode it into WMV9, DiVX or m2t for the SR-DVD100 to play it.
However, if your workflow involves capturing m2t files with third party software (DVHSCap/CapDVHS) then you can simply burn those m2t files to a DVD-ROM for viewing on the SR-DVD100.
Old November 27th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #11
Major Player

Does anyone know an alternative to the Avel LinkPlayer or JVC SR-DVD100? Those aren't available in Europe (and no companies can import it: lead containing or something, I'm not sure). Alternatives like the Kiss DP-600 and Helios X3000 only support up to 10 Mbps and only MPEG2 in *.mpg or *.mpv ...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems