Hdv-sd60p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 10th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Hdv-sd60p?

Anyone tried capturing this format yet? I have one of these coming next Wednesday:

http://www.moviestuff.tv/c_15.html

I want to use my HD100 to capture some old 8mm family home movies for a project I'm working on right now. This projector apparently only works with cameras that can shoot at 60 fps, so I figured I'd shoot HDV-SD60P, but a quick look around found several threads on several forums where people were complaining about Final Cut Pro not recognizing the format. Of course, those were older threads. I have FCP 5.1.2 and I'm running it on a quad 3 GHz Mac Pro. Any insight?
Robert Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 12:46 AM   #2
Wrangler

That device is designed for NTSC and runs the film at 15fps, so I would use 30P on the HD100. The math should be pretty close, just make sure you set your shutter speed to 1/60 so that you don't see the film movement or flicker.

If you just want to transfer your 8mm to standard def for DVD, then use DV60i mode. This will also allow you to use 4x3 aspect ratio to match your original.
Old November 11th, 2006, 04:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
That device is designed for NTSC and runs the film at 15fps, so I would use 30P on the HD100. The math should be pretty close, just make sure you set your shutter speed to 1/60 so that you don't see the film movement or flicker.

If you just want to transfer your 8mm to standard def for DVD, then use DV60i mode. This will also allow you to use 4x3 aspect ratio to match your original.
Is that a delicate way of saying that nothing on Earth is going to capture HDV-SD60P? ;-)
Robert Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #4
Major Player

The same stuff that will capture high-def HDV will capture standard-def HDV, but definitely more stuff will work with standard DV, and DVD is SD anyway, so might as well capture at its native temporal and spatial resolution.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jackson
Is that a delicate way of saying that nothing on Earth is going to capture HDV-SD60P? ;-)
No. I capture 480P60 all the time, but it necessitates the use of a m2t capture utility and then transcoding to another codec.
If you just need standard def, avoid the hassle and shoot in DV mode. You won't need 60P for your 8mm transfer device, just a 1/60th shutter speed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems