DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Buy The Hd250 Or Wait For The Hd200 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/79607-buy-hd250-wait-hd200.html)

Scott Harper November 14th, 2006 02:51 PM

Buy The Hd250 Or Wait For The Hd200

I'm planning on getting either the 250 this month or wait on the 200 in the new year, but was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on which camera to buy. I do not have any need for "studio" applications and would only use the camera for indi work so what, if any, features does the 250 have over the 200 that would benefit indi films?

Theodore McNeil November 14th, 2006 08:21 PM

I'm on the fence to about this HD200 thing myself, but what I don't understand is that the HD200 is only a couple of hundred dollars less than the 250 and it doesn't SDI out, etc....

I don't quite see the point of HD200. Someone please tell me why I'm wrong.

Carl Hicks November 14th, 2006 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theodore McNeil
I'm on the fence to about this HD200 thing myself, but what I don't understand is that the HD200 is only a couple of hundred dollars less than the 250 and it doesn't SDI out, etc....

I don't quite see the point of HD200. Someone please tell me why I'm wrong.

I'm not sure where you are getting your info from, but the GY-HD200 will cost about $2000 less at list price than the GY-HD250. That's a significant difference.

For that $2000, the GY-HD250 adds genlock, time code in, time code out, SDI / HDSDI out, pool feed, and full CCU control capability. For some customers, these features are critical. For others, not so much. Now, you will have a choice of more I/O's for more cost, or less I/O's for less cost.

Regards, Carl

Justin Ferar November 14th, 2006 08:51 PM

I reviewed both press releases for the 200 and the 250 at the JVC US website.

Both MSRP for the same: $8995.

Hmm.

I guess there really is no reason to wait!

Since the 200 hasn't actually come out yet I have to imagine the MSRP will be less.

Scott Harper November 14th, 2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
the GY-HD250 adds genlock, time code in, time code out, SDI / HDSDI out, pool feed, and full CCU control capability. For some customers, these features are critical. For others, not so much. Now, you will have a choice of more I/O's for more cost, or less I/O's for less cost.

Carl can you tell me which one of these features would benefit a "film maker" objective.

Carl Hicks November 14th, 2006 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Harper
I'm planning on getting either the 250 this month or wait on the 200 in the new year, but was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on which camera to buy. I do not have any need for "studio" applications and would only use the camera for indi work so what, if any, features does the 250 have over the 200 that would benefit indi films?

Scott, the GY-HD250 adds genlock, time code in, time code out, SDI / HDSDI out, pool feed, and full CCU control capability. I can think of a few reasons that you might want some of these features:

1. With the time code I/O, you can lock the camera's time code to an external electronic clapboard or audio recorder.

2. If you ever do a multi-camera shoot, with multiple HD250's you can lock all cameras to the same time code.

3. With the HDSDI output, you can feed uncompressed HD out to a high bitrate HD format like HDCam or D5 HD. You can also use the HDSDI out to play back HDV recordings into some high-end NLE systems that require HDSDI.

Regards, Carl

Carl Hicks November 14th, 2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Ferar
I reviewed both press releases for the 200 and the 250 at the JVC US website.

Both MSRP for the same: $8995.

Hmm.

I guess there really is no reason to wait!

Since the 200 hasn't actually come out yet I have to imagine the MSRP will be less.

Justin,

The GY-HD250U is $10,995 with a 16X lens. Please see this link:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/l...&feature_id=00

Regards, Carl

Scott Harper November 14th, 2006 10:07 PM

Thanks Carl. By the way, can you buy the HD250 without a lens as I already own the 16X as well as the wide angle and don't need another. What would the cost be?

Hayes Roberts November 14th, 2006 10:34 PM

Good point--yes, Carl, what about the "indie film package"- HD250, (without lens), HZCA13U(super16 adapter), and maybe whatever else?

Carl Hicks November 14th, 2006 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayes Roberts
Good point--yes, Carl, what about the "indie film package"- HD250, (without lens), HZCA13U(super16 adapter), and maybe whatever else?

You can buy it that way, no problem. Contact your local dealer who is authorized to sell the GY-HD250, and buy the following:

"GY-HD250CHU" package - This is camera head, viewfinder, tripod plate, Anton Bauer plate, and mic - no lens.

HZ-CA13U - PL adaptor

Add to that an Anton Bauer package of your choice, and maybe a CB100 carry case. I don't see that we'll have a specific "package" with this mix, so just buy it ala' carte.

Carl Hicks November 14th, 2006 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Harper
Thanks Carl. By the way, can you buy the HD250 without a lens as I already own the 16X as well as the wide angle and don't need another. What would the cost be?

Yes.

"GY-HD250CHU" package - This is camera head, viewfinder, tripod plate, Anton Bauer plate, and mic- no lens.

List price is $9,995.00

Tyson Perkins November 14th, 2006 11:52 PM

Any ideas on the official release date and pricing of the HD200 as yet?

Werner Wesp November 15th, 2006 06:07 AM

The HD250 will also have better balance on the shoulder than the 200 and the front part AND the back part will lock into a tripod adapter. Nice features, but at the price of having to pay for the extra SDI and all.

I suppose you can screw a IDX/SONY V-mount plate onto the HD250 instead of the anton bauer?

Carl Hicks November 15th, 2006 06:54 AM

Quote:

The HD250 will also have better balance on the shoulder than the 200
Not correct. HD200 and HD250 are same size and weight

Quote:

I suppose you can screw a IDX/SONY V-mount plate onto the HD250 instead of the anton bauer?
Correct

Carl Hicks November 15th, 2006 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson Perkins
Any ideas on the official release date and pricing of the HD200 as yet?

The announcement is almost out. Patience for a little longer, please.