How does the "super encoder" work with your NLE ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 20th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #16
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank
Posts: 1,811
HD250 supported in Edius 4

I just received confirmation from Canopus that Edius 4 supports 50p and 60p from the HD250.

At the moment the presets only show up when using an NX or SP card. However, as soon as the switch is pulled the presets will also show up with OHCI.

As I mentioned in another post, Avid Liquid may or may not support the HD250, but as I found out at the recent DV Expo, Liquid absolutely does _not_ officially support even the HD100. If and when Avid Liquid will ever officially support the JVC cameras was not known by the reps at DV expo, but they were quite adamant that Avid Liquid does not support them now. (Yes, Avid Liquid was bundled with the JVC camera in Europe, but the Avid U.S. reps said that they did not know anything about this and could not comment.)
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #17
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank
Posts: 1,811
HD250 is supported by Edius 4

I just received confirmation from Canopus that Edius 4 supports 50p and 60p from the HD250.

At the moment the presets only show up when using an NX or SP card. However, as soon as the switch is pulled the presets will also show up with OHCI.

As I mentioned in another post, Avid Liquid may or may not support the HD250, but as I found out at the recent DV Expo, Liquid absolutely does _not_ officially support even the HD100. If and when Avid Liquid will ever officially support the JVC cameras was not known by the reps at DV expo, but they were quite adamant that Avid Liquid does not support them now. (Yes, Avid Liquid was bundled with the JVC camera in Europe, but the Avid U.S. reps said that they did not know anything about this and could not comment.)
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #18
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
I just received confirmation from Canopus that Edius 4 supports 50p and 60p from the HD250.

At the moment the presets only show up when using an NX or SP card. However, as soon as the switch is pulled the presets will also show up with OHCI.

As I mentioned in another post, Avid Liquid may or may not support the HD250, but as I found out at the recent DV Expo, Liquid absolutely does _not_ officially support even the HD100. If and when Avid Liquid will ever officially support the JVC cameras was not known by the reps at DV expo, but they were quite adamant that Avid Liquid does not support them now. (Yes, Avid Liquid was bundled with the JVC camera in Europe, but the Avid U.S. reps said that they did not know anything about this and could not comment.)
Not quite true. Liquid supports HDV1 in all frame rates. I have demonstrated this over and over again. HDV support for 720p is listed right in the product brochure. I have cut 2 films, 3 documentaries and several corporates and music vids with this setup. I've even displayed how JVC 24p is not even 24p in the 1394 data stream but instead 59.94. Why not get cutting instead of asking the same questions?

Anthony Martorina may not know what's going on in EU. You were welcome to come to Liquid Immersion in Charlotte. There you could have met Hans Venmans who is the Liquid Product Manager and worked with us in HD. There is a chance that JVC and Avid will bundle the camera with Liquid in the states to provide an end to end solution with the camera purchase.

I'm not quite getting why you've got your Liquid setup and yet you're not cutting??? But I'll post the presets again....
Attached Thumbnails
How does the "super encoder" work with your NLE ?-preset.jpg  
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #19
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank
Posts: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Not quite true. Liquid supports HDV1 in all frame rates. I have demonstrated this over and over again. HDV support for 720p is listed right in the product brochure. I have cut 2 films, 3 documentaries and several corporates and music vids with this setup. I've even displayed how JVC 24p is not even 24p in the 1394 data stream but instead 59.94. Why not get cutting instead of asking the same questions?

Anthony Martorina may not know what's going on in EU. You were welcome to come to Liquid Immersion in Charlotte. There you could have met Hans Venmans who is the Liquid Product Manager and worked with us in HD. There is a chance that JVC and Avid will bundle the camera with Liquid in the states to provide an end to end solution with the camera purchase.
I understand that Liquid works with HDV1 from JVC. My point is that the main Avid rep very clearly and repeatedly told me that Avid Liquid does not officially support the JVC video. He went so far as to explain in detail how hard the JVC codec is to work with, etc. I have no argument that Liquid works with HDV1... but the fact remains that Avid distances itself and officially does not support HDV1.

Anthony Martorina deferred to the Avid spokesperson, and Martorina really didn't say anything on his own. He said that whatever the other guy said was the official position on the matter.

As to brochure statements, these are not all true for Liquid, though the support for 720p is, except that the Avid spokesperson said that this doesn't apply to the JVC variant, which he explained was JVCs own formulation and not standard. Whether he meant this only as it applied to 24p, I don't know, but he may have.

However, as you have well demonstrated, Liquid does work with JVC 24p. The fact remains that Avid still makes a big effort to point out that this support for 24p and JVC in general is not _official_.

Perhaps it's a political issue within the company, that they don't officially want any of their products to support JVC 24p until their major products do. The rep did say that maybe Liquid's support for JVC 24p would become official next year, but he added, maybe it won't. I suggested this to the Avid rep, and he said that maybe that was it.

To stay on the topic of this thread, it seems there are at least three editors that can be used for 50p and 60p from the HD250 right now:

1. Avid Liquid (though not officially supported by Avid)
2. Edius 4 with the NX or SP card, and with software only, but the presets aren't turned on yet.
3. With editors that can use Cineform as an intermediary.

But back to the other topic, as you say, "Why not get cutting instead of asking the same questions?" I'll tell you why: If Avid tells me their product doesn't do something, I'm going to believe them. They've got to have a good reason to really empasize the point that something is not _official_. And I'll keep asking the same question until I get an answer. People kept asking when FCP would support 24p... and finally it does. The same question now applies to Avid's products. Until they have an answer, the same question has to be answered. And so about Liquid, I will keep asking if it has support for JVC and 24p... as long as Avid reps keep telling me that Liquid does NOT support JVC and 24p, I will believe them, and I will keep asking hoping the answer will change.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #20
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank
Posts: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
But I'll post the presets again....
yes, when Anthony Martorina brought up the presets, I told him that this one was the one for JVC 24p... and I knew this based on your past posts and exceptional tutorials.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 09:20 AM   #21
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
As to brochure statements, these are not all true for Liquid, though the support for 720p is, except that the Avid spokesperson said that this doesn't apply to the JVC variant, which he explained was JVCs own formulation and not standard. Whether he meant this only as it applied to 24p, I don't know, but he may have.
What other 720p HDV camera do you know of out there? The JVC "is" the only 720p camera so of course it is the one that Liquid is made to work with.

I'm not sure why the Avid rep told you otherwise. I think perhaps he was a little confused. There is a big difference between older versions of FCP just not working at all with the format and Liquid working with it but Avid not wanting to say so. Forget about what people tell you and just do it. If it works for you like it does for Stephen then you have nothing to worry about. Who cares if Avid never wants to say it works or not? Take satisfaction in the fact that you are getting more out of the software then what Avid thinks you should be.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 03:48 AM   #22
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 343
Jack,

That Avid rep was just plain wrong. I have both Edius and Liquid (in addition to Xpress Studio Complete and Symphony) and I can tell you with absolutely no hesitation that Liquid does support the HD100. HDV1 is supported at all frame rates and the HD100/200/250 shoot HDV1. In actual use, Liquid works much smoother for ingest of HDV1 than Edius. I wouldn't put too much faith in what reps say at trade shows. One from Avid told me in September 2005 that MC and Xpress would support HDV1 fully in 'two weeks'. Trade show reps are notoriously bad at product knowledge and it's the luck of the draw whom you get talking to. Real world experience from Stephen and countless others proves that Liquid absolutely does support the HD100. I'm in the UK and JVC have been bundling Liquid with the HD100. Surely that's enough to reassure you! In fact, I'm sitting here right now conforming a Media Composer EDL within Liquid from HDV1 via firewire at 25fps and it's working very nicely.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #23
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice Hoffmann
Thanks for all those answers (haven't access to internet last days).

So if i understand, until now there is no way to edit from an HD250 with FCP directly. Does the Dvhs-Mpegstreamclip workflow works ?

Yes, it works I tried it. DVHSCap sees the HD-251 and captures the 720 50p stream and you can convert the mt2 file with MPEGStreamclip.
Marc Jayson is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:58 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network