Image Shifting in HD100U? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 22nd, 2006, 02:46 PM   #1
Tourist

Image Shifting in HD100U?

Has anyone had problems with imageshifting during a slow tilt up on the HD100U. It's as if the CCD's shift in the camera and cause the image to "jump" a few frames to catch up. I have been shooting a feature using the same settings and this issue has just started and will only occur when the camera is warm. Maybe time to send into JVC service? Just wanted to know if anyone else has had same problem, Cheers.
Stu Brumbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 05:03 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

How slow of a pan are you talking about? If it's really slow, could this be a different manifestation of the "threshhold" situation Adam Wilt brought up in his review?
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 05:46 PM   #3
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Brumbaugh
Has anyone had problems with imageshifting during a slow tilt up on the HD100U. It's as if the CCD's shift in the camera and cause the image to "jump" a few frames to catch up. I have been shooting a feature using the same settings and this issue has just started and will only occur when the camera is warm. Maybe time to send into JVC service? Just wanted to know if anyone else has had same problem, Cheers.

Since you've aparently had the camera a while working OK and now it's not working OK, it sounds like it needs to be looked at by service. Take it to our service center in Cypress, Ca.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 07:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Are you seeing this on camera playback from tape or on a computer monitor after capture?
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 02:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
How slow of a pan are you talking about? If it's really slow, could this be a different manifestation of the "threshhold" situation Adam Wilt brought up in his review?
That could only be a few pixels before the encoder starts to notice (and it could be a maximum of 6 frames, because then there's a new I-frame) - quite hard to spot then. I suppose this is more visible?

If you are just previewing on an external monitor, that could be it, because there is some delay on the video-out...
Old November 24th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #6
Tourist

Image shift revisited.

Hello all, thanks for the responses, This issue is "in camera" for sure... I.E. not a video tap issue. I do see the "Image Shift" on the external monitor and the view finder when it happens. But, it registers to tape as well. The tilts can vary from slow to a little faster (No Whip Pans or Tilts). It almost feels like it's mechanical and not software or firmware related. I have changed some settings in the camera and it still seems to be an issue but only when the camera has warmed up a while. "Maybe I'll have to shoot the rest of this picture in the artic... or just ship it off to Cypress. I've sent the camera to Cypress twice already for other issues... Maybe I got the lemon of the bunch? Cheers.
Stu Brumbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #7
Tourist

Hmmmm.

Once again thanks for the responses. After sending camera to Cypress for repair, I recieved word back that the "optical block" had to replaced. So if you are having this issue on your camera, This might be a factor for you to consider. P.S. almost done shooting the feature film "Iron Ridge" on HD100U. Check out small trailer at
http://www.ironridgethemovie.com Cheers, Stu
Stu Brumbaugh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems