FYI: ProHD uncompressed clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 1st, 2006, 08:19 AM   #1
Trustee

FYI: ProHD uncompressed clip

Often the question comes up about uncompressed clips off of a ProHD camera. Since alot of people do not have the means to capture uncompressed I'm providing you with a clip off of an HD-100's component below.

Click Here for Clip (580MB) Broken link....

This clip will only be up for a short while to give you an idea of what kind of bandwidth it takes to work in uncompressed. The clip is 5 seconds long and weighs in at a whopping 580MB. Needless to say you need an ultra fast SATA or SCSI array (Raid 0) to handle it. Now imagine the uncompressed 1080p requirement!

Anyway you can try your 24p pulldown technique on the file and try some CC on it. You'll find that you have infinately more data to CC than tape or 1394 captured source.

Regards,

Stephen

Last edited by Stephen L. Noe; December 1st, 2006 at 07:14 PM.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 09:21 AM   #2
Trustee

Why oh why?

So Stephen, given the stats you list, is there any practical reason why anyone would go the uncompressed route?

I had heard that this was the way to go for greenscreening, but it would seem to require way too much fire-power in terms of drive speed and space - esp if you were using a lap top to digitize the footage.

Have you ever used the uncompressed option (other than the example you provided) and if so, why?

Thanks again Stephen -
john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 09:53 AM   #3
Trustee

The reason why would be color. Color correcting uncompressed is infinately more forgiving than any compressed format. Try for yourself with the supplied clip.

I'm not talking about luma corrections that we all do (a la pull down blacks & gamma adjustments), I'm talking about secondary (CMY) color corrections which are unforgiving in m2t. Global primary (RGB) adjustments are relatively safe on m2t and what most people do. If you want to adjust someones skin tone (individually) in a scene, that requires either secondary color correction or selective color correction. As you can probably imagine, global (overall) corrections are a far cry from selecting a single color to adjust (usually with a pipette in a CX or secondary process).

Many times with global adjustments you're working at getting some element in the scene the way you want it to look but you've adjusted something else out of whack.

So if it's color critical material then uncompressed off the component or HD-SDI is the way to go. I think most small film makers and documentary makers at our level (independent production) alot of times wouldn't even consider an uncompressed workflow, but there are great benefits if it's in the budget.

The whole d@mn thing doesn't mean much if the story sucks though.
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi!
How do I open/play the file on a mac? I'd love to see how it looks.
Sergio Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 01:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm not positive, but i believe the file is taking a huge load on the site's bandwidth. Maybe you can share it via bit torrent.
Matt Setnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 01:34 PM   #6
Trustee

.2vuy files are from Liquid and only work with Liquid or if you get the codecs from Liquid. As far as I know the codecs will not work on a mac.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 03:22 PM   #7
Trustee

Didn't work on mine...

just downloaded as code on the screen...

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 03:24 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
.2vuy files are from Liquid and only work with Liquid or if you get the codecs from Liquid. As far as I know the codecs will not work on a mac.
The 2vuy files from Liquid are proprietary and a legacy format only usable inside Liquid.

This very issue caused me to go to Edius last year for a major project.

I learned over a period of several months that no matter what anyone may say, this is the case.

If anyone thinks I'm wrong, tell me what standard 3rd party program or software encoder will read a Liquid exported uncompressed 2vuy file and I will try it and if it works I will retract this.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 04:08 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
The 2vuy files from Liquid are proprietary and a legacy format only usable inside Liquid.

This very issue caused me to go to Edius last year for a major project.

I learned over a period of several months that no matter what anyone may say, this is the case.

If anyone thinks I'm wrong, tell me what standard 3rd party program or software encoder will read a Liquid exported uncompressed 2vuy file and I will try it and if it works I will retract this.

One of the reasons I will never get anywhere near liquid.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 07:07 PM   #10
Trustee

Uhh.... Sorry I couldn't accomodate all of you. I tried....

Your NLE probably puts uncompressed in a wrapper that is incompatible as well. I could have given you an uncompressed sequence.

BTW: Who here is working in uncompressed?
Old December 2nd, 2006, 09:28 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
The 2vuy files from Liquid are proprietary and a legacy format only usable inside Liquid. If anyone thinks I'm wrong, tell me what standard 3rd party program or software encoder will read a Liquid exported uncompressed 2vuy file and I will try it and if it works I will retract this.
Quicktime Pro when it lives on the same workstation as Liquid.

FYI, the Liquid 2vuy files are a legacy format from the Pinnacle board. These are the same as those captured by the Mac Cinewave. You can save them out from QT as Apple or Blackmagic 8-bit legacy format and use them in other applications on other workstations. Stephen could export his 2vuy file using QT as an Apple Blackmagic legacy 8-bit 2vuy file and QT will just add the appropriate wrapper resulting in a file almost identical in length. Anyone with Apple or BM codecs (Mac or PC) could then view the file. Also, note that because Avid (AXPro/MC/Symph) use QT architecture, when you have Liquid installed on the same workstation you can import Liquid 2vuy files directly into Avid. I know that this is not the promised land but it makes Liquid a lot more useful than is suggested here.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems