Problems with playback from camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 4th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Problems with playback from camera

i shot some test footage in 720 24p on my hd100. when i played it back, i got nothing, so i fast forwarded the tape and the image appeared as normal during fast forward, but when i pressed play the lcd and monitor would freeze on the last frame of the fast forward, even though the tape and timecode would move forward normally. so this is what i get in 24p playback.
press: play - no image, timecode runs normal.
rewind/while playing - image shown as normal.
fast forward/while playing - image shown as normal.
play while rewind/fast forward - frozen image, timecode runs normal.
play from stop - no image, timecode runs normal.

can anybody help with this?

Last edited by Maurice Jolly; December 5th, 2006 at 12:16 AM.
Maurice Jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 06:28 PM   #2
Major Player

not sure if this is relevant for playback within camera as I always use a vtr, but on a BRHD50 you need to set the output to 60 from 50 to see anything shot in 24p. Have a look at the playback settings within the camera, see if the same thing is there.
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #3
Wrangler

Maurice,

Sorry no one got back to you on this before Stuart found it and bumped it up to the top. I changed the title to the more appropriate "Problems with playback from camera" so that you might get some more views. Thread titles that sum up the topic of discussion are very important in this particular forum because we have such a high volume of posts.

You may want to check your playback options and make sure you have selected NATIVE for format instead of one specific format (HDV, DVCAM, DV).

If you see moving images when in FF or REW then you must have something on tape which would rule out the mode changing issue that used to cause some problems.

You may want to try running a JVC or Panasonic miniDV head cleaner. Clogged heads would prevent playback of the HDV stream, but might allow enough info for quick frame buffers during FF or REW.
Old December 29th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #4
Major Player

The 'head cleaning' warning has just come up on the lcd of my cam (the HD201E) and i'm wondering whether it will be ok to run a head cleaner tape through it? - i know you should take it to the store except as is the time at the moment nothing is open - also in terms of tape - are the sony, jvc and panasonic tapes cross compatible when shooting HD?
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Perkins
...in terms of tape - are the sony, jvc and panasonic tapes cross compatible when shooting HD?
No. Switching brands will cause problems when the residual lubricants mix together. Some people have had success with Sony, but the consensus is that you should use the highest quality JVC or Panasonic tapes (which I believe are made at the same factory.)
Sony heads also use a different S/N ratio, which their stock is designed for.
The JVC ProHD tapes seem to be especially good at preventing dropouts and head-clogs.
Once your heads are clean, pick one brand, one model of tape and stick with it.
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:57 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
No. Switching brands will cause problems when the residual lubricants mix together. Some people have had success with Sony, but the consensus is that you should use the highest quality JVC or Panasonic tapes (which I believe are made at the same factory.)
Sony heads also use a different S/N ratio, which their stock is designed for.
The JVC ProHD tapes seem to be especially good at preventing dropouts and head-clogs.
Once your heads are clean, pick one brand, one model of tape and stick with it.
So the head cleaning tapes are actually efficient in what they do?
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Perkins
So the head cleaning tapes are actually efficient in what they do?
Yes. However, there can be situations where the tape isn't enough, but the tape is the first thing to use.

Regarding cleaning tape brands, Carl Hicks, JVC rep, has posted:
"A "dry type" DV cleaning tape from JVC, Panasonic, or Fuji will work OK."

Here's the link to that thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...+cleaning+tape

There are numerous threads on head cleaning tapes, but they don't really go anywhere except ending up with the above that Carl says.

As Tim points out, JVC and Panasonic products seem to have some relation with each other in some cases, while Sony products seems to be from a different family tree.

Last edited by Jack Walker; December 30th, 2006 at 02:45 PM.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 11:02 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Maurice,

You may want to try running a JVC or Panasonic miniDV head cleaner. Clogged heads would prevent playback of the HDV stream, but might allow enough info for quick frame buffers during FF or REW.
tim,
i fixed the problem the next day by using a head cleaner. now it works fine. however i went back to look at the head cleaner and noticed that it's a sony cleaner. i have to go get a jvc or panasonic head cleaner, cause i'm not using this one again. but thanks for the help.
oh yeah, i want to wish everybody on this forum a SAFE and HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Maurice Jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:16 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell
not sure if this is relevant for playback within camera as I always use a vtr, but on a BRHD50 you need to set the output to 60 from 50 to see anything shot in 24p. Have a look at the playback settings within the camera, see if the same thing is there.

You mean for stuff shot in PAL format right?

I just shot some 24p on an HD100 and it played back fine on my brhd50 in 60 mode.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems