Camera Theft International/Domestic Flights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 5th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera Theft International/Domestic Flights

Heretofore I have carried my camera on flights and my ancillary equipment in TSA locked Pelican cases, for fear of losing the camera. I read of all the theft occuring in airports and it scares me thinking of the camera ending up on ebay somewhere.

I am curious what others are doing. Am I a little to cautious on this matter?
Jon
Jon R. Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't think you can be "too cautious" in this matter. If I'm traveling with my small cams they go onboard with me with as much junk (ancillary gear) as I can cram into the bag.
If I need my bigger cams then I FedEx the gear to the hotel I'll be staying at-generally overnight shipping or 2 day at the most. So far it's worked out OK.
I never let the bag from my grip or if I have to set it down I put it between my feet. I've heard of cameras taking a walk when the person sets it down and looks away for a minute.
I have heard of theft when you check stuff thru hence my shipping both ways. It's not cheap but I build it into the quote to the client and spell it out for them so they know what it is and why. They all seem to understand as a lot of them do the same thing.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I am leaning towards carrying the camera. I bought a $30.00 generic athletic bag and fabricated a form fitting bottom piece from some left over Pelican "pick and pluck", duct taped side panels of 3/4" solid foam around the foam base. The 110 with IDX and Frizzi fits neatly in the bag. The bag has end compartments for extra battery and junk. It looks like a bag that has dirty underwear in it or something....a "stealth camera bag" of sorts. Maybe I should market this thing.....
Jon R. Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Just make sure it'll fit in the special thing they use to see if it'll fit. I almost got thrown off a flight to a job just last summer because on the connecting flight to my destination (same airline as the 1st flight where I had no problems) the gate agent a really nice (yeah right) lady started giving me a hassel about my bag. A touch oversize but not by more than 1 inch in any direction. I tried to reason with her and the 1st words out of her mouth were "get security and a supervisor" My wordss were "yes please get those people" After a 2 minute conversation with the supervisor with security people watching closely she apologized and allowed me to board with my bag in hand. She realized that first I wasn't a threat, second I had come off a flight from chicago on HER airline without a problem and thirdly, since I was sitting in first class anyway (with about 7 others) it wouldn't be a problem. She also saw what was in the bag and agreed I could not check it (and would not check it) so problem solved. Point is make sure the bag is the right size so you don't have a hassel at the gate with a "nice" ticket agent.

Don
Old December 5th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon R. Haskell
The bag has end compartments for extra battery and junk. It looks like a bag that has dirty underwear in it or something....a "stealth camera bag" of sorts. Maybe I should market this thing.....
Regardless of how it looks, TSA will X-Ray it. They will then probably pull you aside while they take all the items out of the bag, swab them and then repack them. I always try to repack the items myself. Items put back carelessly can be as much of a problem as theft.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #6
Wrangler

By the way, if anyone isn't aware of it, the airlines do offer a "media rate" which discounts excess baggage costs and has a higher maximum weight cutoff. You will sometimes need to show a business card or other proof of your status, so probably not best to ask for this if you cannot.
Old December 5th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #7
Inner Circle

hey Charles,
Thanks for the headsup on that. I never knew about it and although I don't do a whole lot of travel with my gear at least I know for the next time I do.
Thanks
Don
Old December 5th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #8
Trustee

Same as Don, I fedex the gear to a confident contact, usually someone at the hotel counter. They are used to this sort of business.

I insure and actually pack the cases into plain carboard boxes when suitable, as pelican cases and the like are a dead giveaway. Out of site, out of mind.

Finally, it's not a perfect world, you can't fret and worry every minute over your equipment. Accidents and theft happens. Insure, insure, insure. Piece of mind is the best you can do.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #9
Regular Crew

One word: FedEx. Unlike the major airlines, they're not bankrupt. Nor do their planes get 'oversold'. Enough said.
Alex Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #10
Major Player

So far, I had no problems carrying my camera and laptop on-board.
I'm travelling with a portabrace bag, which makes it easier then a hard case to bring on-board. I lost my laptop ones a few years ago through normal baggage hard case. When I remind them to this, that helps.
The Tripod goes with the baggage, and I sometimes have to pay extra for the weight. But I will not go on board without my camera.
Important is to stay calm and to repeat the reasons why you don't want to loose sight of the camera. Also not having a hardcase always gave me a strong point, explaining the expensive camera will be damaged if it ends-up together with the normal baggage.
They don't want to take that responsibility, and say to go onboard :-)
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems