Can't see HD100 anymore after I changed Firewire HDV settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 8th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can't see HD100 anymore after I changed Firewire HDV settings

my mac can't see HD100 anymore. Lumiere, FCP 5 and iMovie don't seem to recognize the camera. I am not sure whether its the camera's fault (its been fine up until now) or because I changed settings in Firewire HDV accorind to this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=75138

I doubt that settings prevent the computer from seeing the camera, especially that I only changed the settings in FCP. Anyhow, Lumiere and other programs can't seem to find the HD100.
Attached Thumbnails
Can't see HD100 anymore after I changed Firewire HDV settings-picture-7.png  
Rati Oneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

These are the setting I have right now. Thanks

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/i...081&fullsize=1

If you click on the image it will take you to the next image showing settings and then to the next one. There are five images in all.
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Also, I just noticed that when I connect the firewire cable to the camcorder my computer starts to emit noise. I don't know how to describe it - it's sort of high-pitch intermiettent signal. Sometimes if you turn a TV on (especially an old one) and turn the volume all the way down similar noise is present.

Could something have happened to the drivers? Maybe firewire output on the camera itself? Or the firewire input on the computer? Has anyone else had this problem? I am thinking of reinstalling the OS X from the scratch - horrible thought...

I need to digitize footage for tomorrow and this was really not what I needed right now.
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #4
Wrangler

Did you by any chance
  • Switch the DV/HDV switch while the camera was turned on.
  • Connect or disconnect the firewire cable while the camera was turned on.
?
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Tim, thanks. Just did it but to no avail
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #6
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Did you by any chance
  • Switch the DV/HDV switch while the camera was turned on.
  • Connect or disconnect the firewire cable while the camera was turned on.
?
Rati,

The questions Tim asked you are eluding to the fact that the camera's firewire port can be damaged if you do these things. If your Mac is no longer recognizing the camera in the HDV mode, then the firewire circuit may be damaged. You should take your camera to our service center in Pine Brook, NJ to have it checked out.

Regards,
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #7
Major Player

Carl, are you saying that the FW port could be damaged if the HDV/HD switch is switched while the deck/camera are on? I realize that hot swapping is not good but switching?
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #8
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
Carl, are you saying that the FW port could be damaged if the HDV/HD switch is switched while the deck/camera are on? I realize that hot swapping is not good but switching?
The cameras have two separate firewire circuits - one for DV and one for HDV. When you flip that switch, you are breaking the connection from one circuit and connecting to the other circuit. If there is voltage present from your computer when this switch-over happens, then there is a potential for damage to the firewire circuit. Better to be safe and power down the computer and camera before pluggin, unplugging, or changing the switch.
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #9
Trustee

Hey that's real important information - I haven't needed to switch between DV/HDV, but it's good to know. I never would've thought of that (although I did know generally not to connect the camera when on).

Add to sticky list?

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Carl, thanks for the info. I guess that's what I will do. I reformatted the MAC from the scratch and didn't help - FW on the camcorder might be the issue.
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent
Add to sticky list?
We did have a sticky warning posted for at least six months, but in an effort to clean up the sticky area, we deemed it as "common knowledge" and removed it as a sticky.

When I had my 'A' update performed my camera came back with a yellow warning sheet. It was on the top in plain sight with the addendum for the new menu items. It was the first thing I saw when I opened the box.

I assume this was standard practice for the U.S. updates as well?

I've scanned and attached the warning, and I will put the sticky back for those who may not realize how serious this issue is.
BTW, the warning was always in the manual on page 54, but never in such clear terms.

Warning Sheet
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Tim, thank you. Looks like this happened to me :) I never got the sheet though.
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #13
Trustee

I got the "A" upgrade, but I didn't get this sheet - just the camera in a plastic bag.

I think most people know about the basic rule of keeping the power off before connecting the Firewire - but I doubt many know about the DV/HDV caviat (it is somewhat counter-intuitive).

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #14
Major Player

The fact that one shouldn't change the switch position while the equipment is power is downright silly, if you ask me. Hot-swapping FW cables, yes, I can understand that. But a hardware switch? C'mon. I know that it doesn't work properly unless the deck/camera are switched off for the change between the DV and HDV position but to have to power down the computer for that is really stupid.

BTW, I didn't get the extra warning either.
Old December 12th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #15
Tourist

i have the same problem

but the damage is serious.
the technical support tellme that:
In fact,the damage happend because the circuit to conection HDV/DV (tablet board circuit) doesnt suppport voltage variation.
A minimal variation voltage cross into the 1394 card and the camera when you connect it.
sometimes these variations blocked the conection and made twice sounds when you start the conection again (a little alarm)
I spend $520 USD for repair the camera because i broke the golden rule:
"keeping the power off before connecting the Firewire"
good luck
Paco Viclhis
Monterrey Mexico
Francisco Vilchis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems