JVC or HVX - help me decided! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 9th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #16
Major Player

Adam,

Although we own the HD100 and are in the process of purchasing the HD250 (so we are just as biased), we have also used the HVX on occasion, even if it is used far less, it still has it's place.

I'm always amazed at the response and knee jerk reaction to a question like yours without first asking:

What type of camera and lens system have you come from?
What did you like, or worse, hate about it?
What type of shoots have you done in the past?
What type of shooting do you intend to do with the new camera?

Without knowing where you have come from, or more importantly where you intend to go, you are letting a bunch a car salesmen sell you a 911 Porsche to pull your boat on the next family road trip.

Maybe a little more information would be a good idea to confirm you are going down the right road for your personal needs.

Peace!! ;)
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton

What type of camera and lens system have you come from?
What did you like, or worse, hate about it?
What type of shoots have you done in the past?
What type of shooting do you intend to do with the new camera?

I come from a ENG style background. I use, and prefer full shoulder sized ENG cameras with real manual lenses. However, personally I also own a PDX10 that I use for some small shoots, and in the past I have used the DVX100.

I love the control of a full sized ENG camera, the stabilty that comes from having the camera on your shoulder and the creative abilities offered by a real manual focus. I don't like the wait, and I don't always like all the attention that a full sized camera draws.

At my day job we shoot on P2 with the SDX800 and edit on edius, so I am already familiar with that workflow. However, I am looking for a new NLE for myself. Even though I have a day job in broadcast television, I am looking to branch out on my own.

Shoots I have done in the past include weddings, documentaries, commercials, indie films, lots of news stuff, and some coorporate video.

As far as what I hope to do in the future, I want to move awayfrom wedding videos. I find the amount of work vs the amount of proffit terrible, all the brides care about is the cost, not the quality, and the wedding is never as people remembered it. I want to do more coorporate videos, and offer production services to local companies wanting to advertise in local theaters before the film starts. I also have a couple documentaries that I want to do and shop around to see if anyone wants to pick them up for broadcast, and offer production services to indie film makers.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 01:57 AM   #18
Major Player

With that said then, it sounds to me the JVC would be a good fit. Add that to all of the quality features of the JVC line and it sounds like an even better fit.

Now all you need is to shoot with one for a day and make the choice that works for you.

Peace!
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 03:18 AM   #19
Trustee

Since you use Edius at work, this might be an editor you could use at first with the JVC camera since if supports the formats.

I, too, think it would be a good idea to try the camera out and shoot some and try the footage in the editor.

As a side note, the JVC camera, while shoulder mount and not small, still doesn't have the overwhelming presence of the full-size cameras used by TV news. The JVC camera, with pro battery, is about 11 or 12 pounds and is easier to flip around and manoeuver in odd situations than is a full size camera.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #20
Major Player

Adam, your professional life is very similar to mine. The only difference is that I've always been a free-lancer and work for broadcast tv as such. I'm used to ENG cameras and I really don't like handheld ones. Even if the HVX200 would have the best image I'd never get one, in most cases I never even watch my footage. If your entering on the free-lance world you should keep in mind that for some of your new clients the look of your material is important. Even when shooting weddings if you use a professional camera people look at you with different eyes. If you use a pro camera you must be good, people come to you asking for your services. I've had that experience, I used to shoot them with a VX2000 and since I started using a DSR390 and now my HD101 it happens much more.

I've been to London to shoot a documentary with the HVX200, I used a firestore because it was really a lot of stuff. I could never go alone, we had to carry the camera and all acessories (audio, lights, tripod...) and a notebook with an external hard drive. When editing it's great, but on the field that most of the times is where you don't have the time you have an extra task backing up your footage. The backups also take some time, around 20 to 30 minutes and you may lose some important scenes while your doing them. You'll really miss tapes, believe me.

If you know the DVX100 just imagine it swollen, heavier and with worst zoom control.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems