Included with the HD200? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 12th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Included with the HD200?

I recieved my camera yesterday from the Creative Video in the UK - i was highly enthused as i opened the package only to find that there was not included a batter or charger / and that i needed a JVC tripod adapter to even use it with my tripod. So now that i have to pay another 1500 for the V-Lock battery, mount and charger and another 500 for the tripod adapter - the price of this camera has reached the price of the HD250? I do not understand the logic in this progression of events and would like to see if anyone has had a similar problem?
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Tyson, that is quite normal on the professional market. You buy a camera and it never includes batteries, chargers or tripod mounts. The stock battery of the HD100 is useless, you would also need to get new ones. I never bought the tripod plate for the HD100, I screw the tripod's base directly on the camera, I just had to buy a bigger base for my tripod because of the batteries weight. However, not all tripods have sliding bases like mine.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Tyson, this is how they make money on us professional users. They offer the camera at very competitive prices, but in order to be able to really use it, you've doubled your original investment*.

Sorry to hear you weren't prepared for this, on the other hand you're lucky: on most professional packages there isn't even a lens included...

* : You remember they were shouting the HD101 is under 6000 euro? (in Belgium that is). Let's do the math: it was actually €5995, but you need to pay VAT (21%), which makes it €7000. The battery is useless, so you NEED a V-mount plate (or A/B), which I payed over €300, plus V-mount batteries and a charger, another €1400. The tripod adapter is about €300, and you have to have a 82mm UV filter, that'll set you back another €100. That's already 9100 euro ($11.000 ? But everything is more expensive in europe....)

Obviously you need to have a windjammer (but hey that's just €100).

Nice setup, but you don't only want to shoot the inside of your house, so you'll need a bag (Camrade Bag I bought was €363)....

We're getting close to €10.000 euro ($12.000), but there's more bad news. If you expected to have a battery, you're probably used to consumer electronics, so you'll NEED to buy a stronger tripod then the one you might have (that was fine before...), you'll need to exchange those cheap mikes for expensive mikes with XLR-out and so on and on and on...

anyway, I didn't want to scare you. By the way: congratulations with the new cam - you'll notice it's worth every penny...

Last edited by Werner Wesp; December 13th, 2006 at 08:33 AM.
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Perkins
I recieved my camera yesterday from the Creative Video in the UK - i was highly enthused as i opened the package only to find that there was not included a batter or charger / and that i needed a JVC tripod adapter to even use it with my tripod. So now that i have to pay another 1500 for the V-Lock battery, mount and charger and another 500 for the tripod adapter - the price of this camera has reached the price of the HD250? I do not understand the logic in this progression of events and would like to see if anyone has had a similar problem?

I was under the impression that the big attached rear end of the Camera was equipped with a V-mount for A/B Batteries....... is it not?
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #5
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Ladue
I was under the impression that the big attached rear end of the Camera was equipped with a V-mount for A/B Batteries....... is it not?
U.S. version ships with A.B. Gold mount.
Old December 12th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #6
Major Player

Also, many shooters keep accessories from one camera to another and that goes for battery systems, tripod plates, matte boxes, filters, etc. As others mentioned here, this is how it works in the industry and it's good because people have their preferences for batteries and other gear and this way they just hang on to their stuff. For example, if I decide to get RedOne, I already have a battery system that will no doubt work with it and the same is true of my matte box and filters. I know of quite a few shooters that don't own cameras but have a load of accessories that they bring to to shoot and use with the rental gear.
Old December 13th, 2006, 04:17 AM   #7
Major Player

Tyson

Are you sure you need the tripod plate?

I was told this also, but my camera fits the manfrotto 503 head without it. I now have a plate that I don't use. Waste of money if you ask me.

Is the HD200 different from the HD100 in this respect?

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 04:40 AM   #8
Major Player

Drew, unlike the images they first posted of the gy-hd200, the HD200 locks into the front and rear end of a tripod plate by now, so a plate is needed if you want to fit it in balance on a tripod.

I have a GY-HD101 with V-mount, and since the battery is so far to the back you'll need a tripod adapter. The HD200 has a V-mount or A/B standard.

On the other hand, it won't be $500, because you only need the tripod adapter plate - you might even buy one secondhand for about $150...?
Old December 13th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Curran
Tyson

Are you sure you need the tripod plate?

I was told this also, but my camera fits the manfrotto 503 head without it. I now have a plate that I don't use. Waste of money if you ask me.

Andrew
I also have the 503 head... not good enought for the HD100 with large batteries.

Werner said it all, but there is one more thing... the stock mic is almost as useless as the battery and a polorize filter is also a good thing to have, so lets add more €500 to Werner's maths.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #10
Major Player

Seeing as us pro's are coming clean about how much we have to shell out to the great amazement to many amatures, I'll add to the list.

If you are starting out from scratch and want to buy a 200e here's your bare minimum shopping list.....................

hd200e camcorder (takes v lock batteries)
swit / idx v lock battery kit (2 x 80w batteries plus dual charger)
Swit / idx camera light plus barn door kit
Matte Box
Polariser 4 x4
82mm adaptor ring
JVC 55 tripod plate
Vinten Vision 3 tripod kit (for example, to take weight and remain stable)
Camera carry case such as Porta Brace CTC3
Microphone such as Rode NTG1
Wind Jammer for the above
5 metre cable for the above and possible a boom pole plus mic cradle
Radio mic kit such as Sennheiser 112 Radio mic kit
Lighting, such as 2 x Arri 300, 1 x Arri 650 plus stands, gels, scrims, and case or a Redhead kit. Extension leads, tape, black wrap, croc clips, possibly a dimmer.
Tape stock

...and then you'll need something pretty tasty to edit your footage on!

pentium core2 duo e6700 2.66 mhz
2 gig ram minimum
BR HD 50 vtr
etc etc etc etc!

The above list includes some budget kit to keep costs down for someone setting out in business. Basically you will be able to obtain a good kit that won't let you down for £10,000. Yep, this may sound like a lot, but when you consider my 400 SP camera cost me that alone...without lens (a few years ago now)! it's a bargain. I won't dare tell you how much the 790 digi cost!

Happy shopping!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #11
Major Player

Yes, Tyson, you might be dissapointed somewhat, but this is all the reasons why I am so happy with ProHD. Incredidible performance is now available from a minimum package of about $20,000 (including editing etc...), while that was the price for a Sony EVW-100 (camcorder only) just a few years ago...

Last edited by Werner Wesp; December 27th, 2006 at 09:31 AM.
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems