DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   DR100 and 24p / FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/81831-dr100-24p-fcp.html)

Brian Duke December 15th, 2006 04:28 PM

DR100 and 24p / FCP

Hey,

I REALLY want to buy the DR100 for a shoot coming up, but I am shooting 24p and editing in FCP. I have been trying to get an answer whether I can shoot 24p and still be able to edit in FCP even if I need a plug in. I don't want to shoot and then find out the footage is unusable, especially because we are going to be editing on location while we are away.

Anyone can shed some light on this?

Shawn Kessler December 15th, 2006 05:06 PM

24p drhd100

nope only 720p at present it does support in fcp. I heard focus is working on the 24p version in the near future

Brian Duke December 15th, 2006 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Kessler
nope only 720p at present it does support in fcp. I heard focus is working on the 24p version in the near future

So not to sound like dumb, but I CANNOT shoot 24p and edit the footage in FCP? Correct? It may appear we are confusing 720 progressive with 24 fps. I shoot 720p, 24fps.

Steve Benner December 15th, 2006 05:32 PM

I answered your question in your other post:

They are beta testing the 720/24P to .MOV right now. Currently, only 30P is officially released. Right now, in 24P, you can capture as a .m2t and it can be converted using the free program MPEG Streamclip into HDV 24P. It takes a little time to transcode, but it works 100%.

Sharon Pieczenik December 15th, 2006 06:01 PM

How does one make .m2t file

Hi, I am having major 24p issues. How does make the .m2t conversion since this seems to be an answer to the problem for right now.

Cheers,
Sharon

Brian Duke December 15th, 2006 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Benner
I answered your question in your other post:

They are beta testing the 720/24P to .MOV right now. Currently, only 30P is officially released. Right now, in 24P, you can capture as a .m2t and it can be converted using the free program MPEG Streamclip into HDV 24P. It takes a little time to transcode, but it works 100%.

Thanks. Do you have a work-flow you can post? That would really be helpful. Also, if there is an alternative harddisc recorder.

Steve Benner December 15th, 2006 08:04 PM

- Download MPEG STREAMCLIP.
- Open the .m2t file in MPEG STREAMCLIP. (you may need to fix timecode breaks, under the "Edit" Menu).
- You can set in and out points if you desire to contrain the clip.
- Select either HDV 24 or AIC for the codec.
- Bring the Quality Slider to Best.
- Deselest the De-interlace check boxes.
- In the Frame Rate Box, enter 23.976 (not 23.98 - the .976 ensures correct pulldown every time).

In FCP use whichever Presest for AIC or HDV 24 (depending on what you choose).

In the Sequence settings (Command 0), make sure the editing timebase is 23.98.

This seems like a long workaround but it is rather quick. The only time consuming thing is the conversion. You can also do Batch Converts in MPEG STREAMCLIP.

The only other HDD drive is the Citidisk HDV. http://www.shining.com
It can only capture in .m2t though, while the DR-HD100 will soon be able to go right to .MOV.

Brian Duke December 15th, 2006 08:49 PM

Quote:

This seems like a long workaround but it is rather quick. The only time consuming thing is the conversion. You can also do Batch Converts in MPEG STREAMCLIP.

Thanks Steve,

Can I use the HDVDV software to convert, which I have been using since I dont have FCP 5.1 yet.

Also, where do the files form the DR100 transfer to? DO you go directly to FCP or does it come with its own software? Sorry, I am not that technical.

Steve Benner December 15th, 2006 08:51 PM

I believe the HDVxDV program can convert .m2t files, but am not sure. So if it can, then you are good to go. Since you do not have FCP 5.1, you can chose either the AIC codec or the HDV 30 Codec, just make sure the editing timebase is set to 23.98 in the FCP timeline.

The DR-HD100 is basically a hard drive. It mounts on the desktop and you are responsible for moving the files to whatever location you desire or you can edit off the drive itself. When the .MOV support for 24P is released, you can just move the files into whatever folder you want, import them, and edit right away.

Brian Duke December 15th, 2006 09:15 PM

Quote:

I believe the HDVxDV program can convert .m2t files

it can. I have done it many times before. You basically just put the mt2 into HDVXDV and convert.

Quote:

The DR-HD100 is basically a hard drive. It mounts on the desktop and you are responsible for moving the files to whatever location you desire or you can edit off the drive itself. When the .MOV support for 24P is released, you can just move the files into whatever folder you want, import them, and edit right away.

If that is the case I shouldn't really have any reservations right now since it seems I can shoot 24p and convert like I have been after transferring the files to my desktop and converting them using HDVXDV to QT files.

Steve Benner December 16th, 2006 05:31 AM

Exactly...there is no worry. You just have to go through a conversion process, but it will work 100% of the time. And Focus should be releasing the update in the near future anyway.