EXTRA ND FILTER for Stock Lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 19th, 2006, 04:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EXTRA ND FILTER for Stock Lens?

I want to achieve shallow DOF with the stock lens, I can get pretty good results with keeping the iris open using the two builtin ND filters, zooming in and using the macro to focus and the shutter speeds to expose. In most daylight conditions I can achieve max shallow DOF with the shutter set at 1/500th. I want to get a filter to put over the stock lens to filter the light so I can maybe just use it at 1/100th. Please don't criticize my methodology, as nuts as it sounds, it actually works. Where can I find such a product to put over the stock lens so I don't have to close the iris whatsoever/have a inappropriately high shutter speed/angle. I want an ND filter to phyiscally put over the lens. Do any of you have experience with this? If so where can I find?
Ralph Sturgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #2
Major Player

There are two options to add an extra ND filter. Through an extra filter which you screw on the Stock Lens, or adding a ND filter when you have a MatteBox.
With a MatteBox you have of course much more options to go.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #3
Trustee

This link at B&H gives the 3 most commonly used Neutral Density (ND) filters, .3, .6 and .9:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....x=0&image.y=0

Search B&H for "82mm Neutral Density" -- without the word Tiffen -- and you will get a lot more options by different companies, some in combination with another filter (such as a warming filter), and different prices.

These filters screw onto the lens.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #4
Trustee

A polarizer can also help reduce the light input if a polarizer will work for the shot -- about 1.3 stops reduction in light.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems