Split-Screen Issue - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 8th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #16
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Gardner
I can't be without my camera on a regular basis while JVC adjusts it. Anyone send theirs in? How long does this take?
Evan,

To ensure the fastest turn-around, the key thing is to get your JVC sales rep involved. Who this person is is determined by where your reseller is located. If you will e-mail me the name and home office location of your reseller, then I can get you the right contact info.

Regards, Carl

carlh@jvc.com
Old January 8th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #17
Major Player

Sorry for the delayed response; been very busy. Thanks for the responses, guys. I aprreciate it. My 110 is just fine. I only experienced the split screen effect under 24p with the gain cranked all the way up. It works perfectly fine with any different settings or frame rates.
Old April 16th, 2007, 03:12 AM   #18
Regular Crew

JVC Split-Screen

Hi guys, this is my first post in a while. Here's my own personal experience with the SSE issue:

Last year, my HD100U experienced the SSE, even when not gained up, so I had to send it in. It happened at the worst time, too, of course, when I needed it for a critical month that was stacked with paid gigs and projects. I got it back over a month later, with the split for the most part fixed, but my REWIND VTR button damaged (no mention was made by JVC in the report that was sent). The button is still operational, however it's not exactly the best thing you want to see to your $6000 unit. Just recently I tested the gain and noticed the split again on both half and full gain. I e-mailed JVC but never got a reply from them.

From everything I've read and heard, I understand that this is a simple tradeoff for the camera's setup and fine performance. And most us, being somewhat experienced videographers in some form or fashion, know well enough that we would, and probably should, never shoot in that kind of mode.
But, let's be honest, for the amount of money we paid for these units, we'd expect these things to run without hitch. Of course there's such things as defects, but for this to be addressed and expected as part of the pkg just doesn't really sit well with me. I have a tough time accepting that, especially when this defect could compromise your video output at any given time (it's not like a bad menu setting you can do without or work around; this could pop up at any time in any given situation). It's also disheartening when you use these things for business and then you have to send it off for a month to get fixed. It just seems like a lot of hassle for something that you paid good money for. Don't get me wrong, the camera's been the greatest thing for me. It is my baby. But the split always sits in the back of my mind. . . .

p.s. I have a wedding to shoot later this year that will be in a dimly lit chapel that does not allow any sort of on-board camera lighting. This situation I have no control over; I will be forced to gain up. I may end up renting some Sony's, but we will take a look ahead of time.

Thanks guys for letting me chat.
Edward Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #19
JVC America

Hi Edward,

I'm assuming that you have involved your JVC Pro rep to ensure that your camera is calibrated as best as possible. If you have not contacted him or her, then please do so. This is the best way to ensure that issues are resolved. Your rep can help you work with service on these issues. See this link if you don't know who your rep is.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=73190

Regards,
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Split Screen Issue

Thank you for the information, Carl. I e-mailed to the Pro division through the website and never got a reply, but I will use this info. Thank you...
Edward Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #21

JVC's 30 Day DOA Policy

For products under 30 days, JVC will offer an advanced replacement. Be sure to keep your dealer in the loop. They may offer you a loaner during downtime.

Here's a link to JVC's Perfect Experience Policy:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/pepolicy.jsp

# The P/E Policy provides model-for-model replacement of JVC Professional Product failing in initial end-user use, to a maximum of 30 days from original retail sale date.
# P/E Policy applies to new, current products sold to end-users in the United States only by authorized JVC Professional Products resellers. (A list of authorized JVC Professional Products resellers can be found at http://pro.jvc.com). Product indicated on the JVC Professional Products Company web site as "Archived" or Discontinued" as of the date of retail end-user purchase is ineligible under JVC's P/E Policy.
# To invoke the P/E Policy, please call JVC Professional Products Customer Service at (800) 582-5825. JVC will endeavor to determine your product's proper use and performance. If it is determined your product has malfunctioned, a return authorization will be issued and you will be asked to fax a copy of your dated bill of sale from an authorized JVC Professional Products reseller. Product returns will be accepted by JVC only with a confirmed return authorization.
# Once authorized, JVC will arrange pickup of the malfunctioning product and delivery of the replaced product at no charge to you.
# JVC will ship the replacement product when you provide JVC with your valid charge card number (American Express, Visa, MasterCard or Discover Card) with expiration date and billing address information as security for return of the replaced product. Your credit card will be authorized in the amount invoiced to you on the authorized reseller's bill of sale (or list price if reseller's price cannot be determined). Malfunctioning products must be returned within 10 days from the issue of the return authorization. Upon receipt of the malfunctioning product, JVC will credit the invoiced amount to your credit card account. If you cannot provide a valid charge card number, JVC will ship the replacement product once your original, malfunctioning product has been received.
# Product returned under the P/E Policy must be in unaltered condition, in original packaging with standard supplied accessories. JVC reserves the right to assess appropriate charges for missing major accessories.
# Product failure must not be caused by owner misuse or damage to product. Credit will not be issued for a return if the original product is damaged due to improper packaging.
# Replacement product may be new or reconditioned, at JVC's option.
# The warranty term for a replacement product is the remainder of the limited warranty term applicable to the original malfunctioning product.
# Product or software upgrades and routine maintenance are considered normal ownership events and are ineligible under the P/E Policy.
Terry Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #22
Major Player

I'm also displeased with JVC-Europe service. My HD101 has a issue since I purchased it, sometimes when I turn it on a system error message is displayed. When the warranty was about to end I sent it to my dealler in UK and they forwarded it to JVC UK service. The camera was returned with the same problem, it stoped working with my AB batteries, the SSE is now visable with no gain and it has some new straches. I talked to the dealler and they didn't care, then I reported twice to JVC UK service and they never replyed. I had to send it to service here in Portugal to fix the power problem, I had to pay for the service because the warranty time was over... and the system error remains.

This thread encouraged me to contact JVC's service again.

Last edited by Diogo Athouguia; April 18th, 2007 at 02:46 PM.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:29 PM   #23
Major Player

I emailed JVC UK again reporting my camera's issue. After my last post about my bad experience with them, I have to say that JVC is taking good care of my problem now.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks View Post
Douglas,

Sorry to hear of your trouble. Your reseller is your first source to turn to for assistance. Please contact your reseller first and ask for a replacement unit, or JVC at 1-800-582-5825, Monday - Friday, 9AM to 5PM EST, and it will be resolved.

For the rest of you out there, please understand that there is a large number of this model being sold every month. We strive to catch any units before shipment that exhibit any abnormalities, but it looks like one slipped through. We are a company run by humans, you know. So, it will be delt with in a priority manner. We fully support our customers.

Due to improvements in our calibration process, there have been VERY FEW incidents of split screen with the GY-HD110U. In fact, I believe that this is the first incidence of split screen on a GY-HD110 to be posted on this forum, and the camera has been shipping for several months. And, I have not heard or seen ANY incidents of this issue with the GY-HD250 or GY-HD200. With the higher-end electronics of these new models, I doubt that there will be any split screen issues with them.

Regards,
I didn't realize the Calibration has gotten that good. I have a HD100 and purchased it in March of 2006. I just did a Pixel Calibration to get rid of the Dead Pixel (which worked, thanks everyone on that!) and the SSE seemed to happen a little more. I was just testing the camera to make sure the Dead Pic went away, so I just shot around my house in prep for Today and it was apparent in situations it should not have happened in.

I would love to have the camera re-calibrated. I have not had any SSE in most normal conditions, but if I can get it reduced, I would gladly part with the camera for a few weeks. I bought it at a Authorized JVC Dealer and have a 4 year extended Mack warrenty. How can I go about getting the calibration and camera sent in? Also, will the new calibrations help on the HD100?
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #25
Major Player

Do I have a story for you, I work for a really big film/video rental house, one of the senior technicians who is an authorized techy for cameras ranging from hd100 series all the way upto the f900 and Genesis (hint) cameras. For what it's worth he says for bang for your buck the hd100 is pretty good.

Anyways I had bought my camera about 1 1/2 years ago, and because he was upgrading the system firmware for the fleets cameras I asked him if he could do mine aswell because I had a small dose of white blemmish. He snuck mine in, when he upgraded the firmware, we started testing footage and BANG split showed up on 0db and it was fat and in your face, I've never had split screen! even at 18db, trust me I've tried looking for it. Anyways, what he did was basically open up the camera from the screws in the VTR section and put in an adapter, it looked like a couple of circuits connected to a parallel port, and he loaded up the JVC software.

What the software does is control the camera from the software, you need to have the camera facing a 56k white balance monitor, from there the camera tries to create the same FPG frequency twice for every CCD in NTSC and in PAL. When both CCD in each colour see the same FPG frequency in both sides, then they are balanced and hence won't get one different reading from the other half of the CCD, it was programmed that both sides of each CCD will read exactly the same. And it was balanced we all lived happily ever after.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems