canon a1 vs. jvc 110 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:44 PM   #1
New Boot

canon a1 vs. jvc 110

i'm looking to up grade to hd. i want two cameras....looking for opinions on canon g1 and a1 versus the jvc 110?
Tony Bahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Major Player

There is a few threads about this with info about both.

The truth is, the two cameras have features that contrast from each other so it is almost like comparing black to white. It's all dependent on what your needs are. The footage from both of these cams is amazing.

I prefer shoulder mount, real manual lens, and progressive video so I went with the jvc. The other thing worth noting which is both good and bad about the jvc is that it is far more professional looking than the canon a1/g1 but you lose that stealthyness.

People always notice me when I am shooting with the hd100.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Plese tell us your needs since the cameras are really different. All I can without your info is that I am a VERY happy HD100 owner.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM   #4
New Boot

A1 vs. 110

i'm an independent video producer. i've got a couple of sports magazine shows that i'm launching in the fall. so i'll need the cameras to shoot football and etc. in the slow months i shoot a few select weddings and some other things.
ultimately i need one main camera to handle the bulk of the projects and the another to be a secondary cam....i'd like to stay in a budget of $6,000-7,000 for cams. i like to shoot everything like a broadcast television camera...manual white balance, iris and focus...which one is closer to that? i've shot everything from a sony beta to a canon xl2.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Trustee

The HD110 might not be the best for sports, if you are shooting HDV, since it only shoots 30fps progressive (or 24).

The HD200 has 60fps in HDV mode, which would be good for sports.

What is the final output format for the video you need. Is it going to be broadcast in 1080i for example? Or what will the final tape be.

The JVC camera is only progressive. The Canon camera is interlaced with a progressive mode.

Three big differences in the cameras are:
1. Size (mainly length and secondarily weight)
2. No auto focus on the JVC
3. No stabilization on the JVC.

These differences may be important in your situation, or may not, and one or other of the choices may be what you want (e.g. do want autofocus, do not want autofocus).
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:57 PM   #6
New Boot

right the shows will most likely air in standard definition...but i'd like to give clients the option of hd if they want.
most of those will be output on dvd...although that will be standard too. i'm just trying to get ahead of the curve a guess as far as hd is concerned. there are too many options now.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:28 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bahou
i'm an independent video producer. i've got a couple of sports magazine shows that i'm launching in the fall. so i'll need the cameras to shoot football and etc. in the slow months i shoot a few select weddings and some other things.
ultimately i need one main camera to handle the bulk of the projects and the another to be a secondary cam....i'd like to stay in a budget of $6,000-7,000 for cams. i like to shoot everything like a broadcast television camera...manual white balance, iris and focus...which one is closer to that? i've shot everything from a sony beta to a canon xl2.
For fast action sports and weddings you really need 60i or 60p which rules out the HD110 (more for narrative film work). The HD200 is best but cost 9K with the cheapest lens.

The choice is really the A1 unless you manage to get a larger budget. For the money you can't beat it.

Best.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:31 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I think you should get the A1. For the reasons listed above.
A1 also has a slightly better image allegedly.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #9
Major Player

The Sports thing is the major issue. I agree, the HD200 is optimal for you, but in the budget range, you can get two A1's for the same price.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems