Mixing 720p & 1080i at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 12th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Mixing 720p & 1080i

I shoot almost exclusively interviews with an HD100 but may be needing to augment my next job w/ interior shots that I know the HD100 won't handle well because the lighting won't be great. Ordinarily I would just use my PD150 and keep the project SD, but this project I want all HDV. I've heard the Z1 is better in low light. How bad would it be to have my b-roll footage in 1080i and cut it into a 720p sequence (FCP)? Are there other 720p HDV cameras out there that are as good as the Z1 in low light (if that is truly the case)? Would it be worse to rent a SD wide screen camera and cut it into my 720p sequence?

Thanks.
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #2
Major Player

You would have to covert all the 1080i footage into 720P. This can be done with the free program MPEG STREAMCLIP.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Parker
I've heard the Z1 is better in low light.
There isn't really much difference, and frankly if you adjust the gamma you can get amazing low-light results out of the HD100. It isn't really worth the hassle or sacrifice of interlace just to get an extra 1/3rd stop.
Old January 13th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #4
Major Player

That's good to know. Are there any specific settings you would recomend? Thanks.
Old January 13th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #5
Major Player

Tim, I used your low light setting and it works very well. Just shooting around my house on an overcast morning, I'm very pleased with the results. I boosted the gain which helped in some darker areas, but it wasn't really necessary for the most part. I'm set. Great advice, as always. Thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems