Problems importing 720p24 AIC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 13th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #1
New Boot

Problems importing 720p24 AIC

I have suffered from the same Timecode break problems as other HD100 users and have fallen back on the AIC workaround before when needed. I am currently trying to import some footage from a concert I had filming and have run into a puzzling problem: At first I tried importing the footage without using AIC but I ran into a flurry of timecode breaks which I found doubly odd since I had not stopped the came or turned it off (As a side note I have my TC Gene set to REC). I was even more puzzled when I tried importing the footage using AIC and found that it was captured with a 59.94 fps. I shot the footage on an HD100A at 720p24. I have tried everything I can think of and would greatly appreciate some help.

I am importing the footage using FCP HD. My sequence presets are as follows:

Sequence Preset: HDV - 720p24
Frame Size: 1280 x720 HDTV 720p (16:9)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square
Field Dominance: None
Editing Time Base: 24
Time Code Rate: 24
QuickTime Video Settings: Compressor AIC Quality 100%

Capture Preset: HDV-AIC
Device Control Preset: HDV Firewire
Michael Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The "AIC workaround" doesn't really work that way, since FCP doesn't import either 720p24 or 720p25 in the AIC format - only for 1080i and 720p30.

Check out this post:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....99&postcount=7

Like this one, there are tons around these pages.
Good luck!
Sergio Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Major Player

You can do 1 of 2 things:

1) you can capture Native HDV 24P with the easy present found in FCP 5.1.2 which will work.

2) you can capture with DVHSCap and conver the resulting .m2t file into AIC using MPEG Streamclip and edit with the "I" Frame codec. I can give you the detailed workflow if yo udesire.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #4
Trustee

Long clips cannot be captured in FCP, not at this time. There is no known workaround. This is what i do for "2nd Unit" where we have usualy 3 tapes each one around 45-50minutes.

1-Import using DVHSCap. You can find it by searching for "FireWire SDK". It's a free download from Apple. The program will be installed in /Developer/FireWireSDK22/Applications instead of the usual /Applications

2-Load the clips into MPEG Streamclip, anothe free download, and select "Export to Quicktime", use the AIC codec, 100% quality, set the frame rate to 23.976.

3-Import the QT files into FCP

Good luck.
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #5
New Boot

Thnaks

Thanks everyone for your quick and helpful responses. I'm leaving fro Italy tomorrow for four months so in the interest of time I decided to import the footage using Native HDV 24P and just live with the drop outs.

thanks again,
Michael
Michael Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems