HD100 in Highlights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 14th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD100 in Highlights

I have bin looking into buying the HD100, however One major draw back that I find is how the camera handles bright point light. Like a bare light bulb or car headlights. This is very apparent in the footage Iv seen from this camera. Check out thees shots from an article with the HVX200.

http://www.bluesky-web.com/HDVHVX.htm

I would like to hear from users who own or use this camera, and that have used other lenses then the stock.
Dos going to a better lens reduce this issue or is it only having to do with the CCD's of the camera.

Thank you very much.
Rumi Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Vertical streaking is unfortunately a characteristic of all CCD's when dealing with an extremely high contrast light source, such as vehical headlights. Generally, the larger the CCDs, the less of an issue it is. However, as I understand it both the JVC and Panasonic use 1/3 inch CCDs so they should, in theory, exhibit the same about of vertical streaking. One can only conclude that the panasonic must be using some sort of internal filtering to help minimize this effect.

Personally, I have had luck using a polarizing filter to cut down on vertical streaking with extremely bright lights.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #3
Major Player

The Panasonic uses a smaller resolution sensor (with larger individual pixels as a result), so it naturally suffers less from CCD flare and has better low-light capabilities, at the expense of detail. CCD flare is also made worse by the use of video gain, which is required for night shooting.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #4
Trustee

Depending on the kind of shot you are doing, you can "flatterize" the streaking with filters, such as a star filter, perhaps a black pro mist, a piece of nylon, etc. This isn't appropriate always, but in night street shots and similar it can be very effective.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #5
Trustee

It is a trade off, as all things are with these sub 20,000 cams. In super high contrast situations the JVC flares a little more(an artsy desirable effect to some) but at the same time it is showing more luminance from the same low light scene then the HVX. So that is the trade off, the JCV flares more but sees more. I believe there are probably adjustments that can be made to reduce flare at the cost of luminance. Gamma curves/knee ect. Or you could always up the gain on the HVX at the cost of video noise.
On that note, unless someone is a big fan of shooting unlit highway traffic at night or lighting video's with an intense spotlight (that are in the shot, ugggh) then this really isn't a big deal. Right?
The link is very well done. I remember reading Walter at DV.info forums and he is one smart guy. He is more accustomed to high end SD equipment as all pro's are, and I like how he relates his understanding to these new-fangled HD prosumer offerings. I think every DVCproHD zealot should read that article. There would be a lot less bashing for sure.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems