Best Noise Reduction Technique? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 15th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #1
Major Player

Best Noise Reduction Technique?

What is the best way to reduce noise using FCP - and the HD200 - alot of my lower lit areas are very grainy - is it possible to smooth out these areas so its not so noticeable?
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #2
Major Player

Well, the best all around way to reduce noise is to employ the lowest gain setting possible to the point where you're not losing detail. Also, what I do is I stretch the blacks in camera, and then crush them in post... But really, the hd100 is meant to be shot under planned lighting.
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #3
Wrangler

Download the demo of this plug-in and test it out.
http://www.chv-plugins.com/cms/Fx-Sc...collection.php

It seems to use a "Lowry-type" frame comparison method to reduce noise. I find that is works quite well, but I find it works best to use on a shot-by-shot basis, even though it has a frame-change sensitivity adjustment.
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Download the demo of this plug-in and test it out.
http://www.chv-plugins.com/cms/Fx-Sc...collection.php

It seems to use a "Lowry-type" frame comparison method to reduce noise. I find that is works quite well, but I find it works best to use on a shot-by-shot basis, even though it has a frame-change sensitivity adjustment.
Is there anything similar for After-Effects? or other PC editor? The drop-out saver would have been very useful last year.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #5
Trustee

Tim,
Do you know if there's a similar noise reduction program or plugin for PC based users (Vegas)?
Steve
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #6
Major Player

You also might try;

http://www.joesfilters.com/joes_noise_reducer
Liam Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
Is there anything similar for After-Effects? or other PC editor? The drop-out saver would have been very useful last year.
Yes, the "Reduce Grain" filter actually works very well. If you spend some time experimenting with it you can get very good results.
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #8
Major Player

Douglas...you wrote..

>Douglas Joseph Well, the best all around way to reduce noise is to employ the lowest gain setting possible to the point where you're not losing detail. Also, what I do is I stretch the blacks in camera, and then crush them in post... But really, the hd100 is meant to be shot under planned lighting. <

How do you observe if you are losing detail with too low of gain settings? is it quite noticable (I use a xh-a1 and would only be able to check the shots in the field on it's LCD until I got the footage home to my PC).

When you say losing detail - what characteristics do you notice?

Why would stretching the blacks (I don't know what that does), and then crushing them (again ?) in post help?

Curious as to what this all means. I understand and can readily see when gain is adding noise (coloured pixels) to my shots. On the other end of the scale I might be confusing or missing something of a more subtle quality from my own inexperience.
James Hooey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems