Capture with Liquid at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 17th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Capture with Liquid

I have big trouble with my last project. I capture from the BRHD50 720p 30fr footage in the AXpressPro 5.6.x and the footage seems to come in corrupted and unusable.
I wonder, because I have to finish the project!!, if I buy tomorrow Liquid 7 could I capture with Liquid and then transfer the files in Xpress pro for editing with the rest of the project that is more than 85min and 12 hrs of footage?
I also have a canopus edius HD but I cannot import the files captured with Canop.into Avid, or I ignore how to do it.
Can someone please sujest an alternative way for capturing HDV1 on a PC and then importing the files in Avid xpress Pro?
Any info would be appreciated
Panos
Panos Bournias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #2
Trustee

I suggest you also post your question on the canopus forum in the Edius section:
http://forum.canopus.com/

To see the Canopus forums you have to register. Edius comes with Procoder Express and Edius handles all the formats well, so I believe if you can capture with Edius, there is a simple way to prepare the files so Xpress can read them. This would be my first place to look. The Canopus forums are responded to by knowledgeable users and Canopus people so I think you will get an answer quickly.

Regarding Liquid, I suggest you post your question on the Avid Liquid forum:
http://www.avid.com/exchange/forums/

Liquid and Xpress are not compatible. Liquid is not really part of the Avid family. Liquid also has very finnicky computer requirements, especially in video card area, and it may not be easy to quickly install it and use it. You may need several days or a week to get it running properly. It is also very hard to get video out of Liquid in a good format to use in other programs. However, you should ask on the Avid forums in case there is a an easy way... but installation, updating and getting Liquid to run in the first place can be a big problem. If you were to do everything in Liquid, it could be a good choice, but I don't think so if you are just capturing.

Third, I don't have experience in this area, but a simple capture program together with MPEG streamclip may be able to easily get video that will import into Xpress with the rest of the video.

Since Edius once saved me and I use other Canopus products, I think Edius might be the product to help you out here if you get the right info on exactly how to use it. Try the Edius forums.

I know I haven't given you a direct answer, but hopefully this info will help you get an answer elsewhere, or it will encourage someone here who knows to answer.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #3
Wrangler

And we also have various post-production forums here at dvinfo where you might find some expertise.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=11

dvinfo Avid Forum (including Liquid)

dvinfo Canopus forum
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Yep. I for one have posted viable workflows on the DVinfo and Avid forums using Liquid as a capture/transcode tool for further editing in AXPro or MC. I have tried both Edius and Liquid for this purpose and Liquid is most certainly your best bet - especially if you are planning to run it on the same crate as your Avid. If you have trouble finding the details PM me, Panos. I'd be happy to help. No time to repeat all the details now!
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

If you have a PC or laptop then you can capture HDV direct from the JVC via Firewire for free with the VLC recorder. You could probably also do this with a linux based live CD with a Mac? Turns the laptop into a nice full screen monitor also!
Phil Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 04:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Mpeg capture canopus edius NX

We captured with the mpeg capture function included with Canopus Edius. The normal capture did not captured properly. We have chosen Transport steam and the capture goes on without problems. Then we transcode this m2t with procoder2. It has an extention that is not accepted by Avid. We choose HDV1 instead of ISO generic Mpeg2.We import into Avid without problem the transcoded file and we edit without error warnings.
So it is purely a problem with the Avid. It is not a problem of the camera or the computer. Instead of asking Avid to extend its support to 24, 25, 50 fr HDV1 we should ask to support! finally the format and stop giving us these half/half and bad solutions.
Thanks guys and all the best to JVC and Avid users. We extended our editing hours X3 with this solution but for the moment looks like its the only one we have.
Panos
Panos Bournias is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems