Where's the good stuff on the HD200? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 18th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Where's the good stuff on the HD200?

It's been pretty quiet regarding the New HD200? Just wondering if anyone has anything to report on these new cameras? like, how are they performing? is it worth the extra $ to go from the HD110 to the 200?, anyone?

Last edited by Brian Ladue; January 18th, 2007 at 07:10 PM.
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Brian,

I just received two of them about three weeks ago. I thought hard about going with the 110 months ago but decided to wait for the 200 with 60p and super encoder.

My experience is mostly with Sony DSR 300's 500's and HDW-F900. Personally own two JVC GY-5000U's as well so these are my references.

So far I've only been able to view footage on my living room HDTV (still waiting for the pro JVC 20 inch reference monitor). Footage looks great so far but I hate this monitor really can't make any comments yet. I have a pro JVC SD monitor but 60p downconverted with the BR-HD50U produces ugly interlacing artifacts. As soon as the pro monitor arrives I'll report back.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Similar to Justin, i have not had any real opportunity to test the camera - although i am fairly impressed with the camera overall - but maybe its just me but im getting alot of gain in my images - even in good light.
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Perkins
Similar to Justin, i have not had any real opportunity to test the camera - although i am fairly impressed with the camera overall - but maybe its just me but im getting alot of gain in my images - even in good light.

does anyone else have this problem of too much gain? even under good lighting conditions? I am considering buying this camera and would really like to know! Thanks
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Perkins
Tyson,

Just curious, what are you using to monitor the footage. I've seen some noise in my images too but again, don't want to draw conclusions until I get the HD monitor. The noise appears when I watch on the computer screen but is not there on my consumer HDTV.

Hmm.
Old January 19th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #6
Major Player

This is exactly my problem - i get varying levels of noise when i am watching on my 1080p Benq screen (with firmware update) and on all the normal televisions i have tested it on - of course, in great lighting i am getting crisp pictures - but even in natural light (30 degree days in sydney) i am getting gain - which is something that even my Z1P didn't do. Im doing a doco - which will appear on SD programming - and so it is fitting that the results i want are on consumer tv - not consumer HDTV - but do not take my impression as full judgement - as you can see my testing method is quite primitive.
Old January 19th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

when I first got my FX1, I was having same issue. Turns out you actually have to enter a 0 gain setting into lowest gain setting, and turn the gain switch to that setting in order to assure no auto gain is being used. Is it possible that is set up same way on your cameras ?
Old January 19th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
when I first got my FX1, I was having same issue. Turns out you actually have to enter a 0 gain setting into lowest gain setting, and turn the gain switch to that setting in order to assure no auto gain is being used. Is it possible that is set up same way on your cameras ?
Good point Chris but... the JVC's come out of the box set up correctly with 0 IRE for digital connections, which is what I've been using. HDMI to consumer HDTV to be specific. I see no noise there. It's the firewire transfer to FCP where I see some mosquito noise on the computer's monitor.
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Its not like my work is going to be seen from HDMI into HDTV just yet.
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #10
Major Player

Can you guys post some

examples of this, I'm pretty close to purchasing the HD200, though I'm still tossing up whether to spend the extra on the HD250. And this sounds disconcerting. I presume you guys already are familiar with the HD100/110 image and can give us an idea of how they compare? Stephen Noes example showed the camera was very clean comparably .

Cheers

Adam
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #11
Major Player

I am not familar with the HD100 image quality - as i went straight from the Z1P to this - should i expect even half decent results when outputing to a 'normal' tv? Do not be at all detered by my impression as i am very new to the model and style of both JVC and the HD200 itself.
Old January 20th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #12
Major Player

My HD100A images (with 0db gain) has low and "controlable" noise nevel, even with dark and underexposed regions in the frame.
The SD 16X9 24p shots in very low light situations are suprisingly clean.
No problems with noise up to now.
Best
Ron
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:13 AM   #13
Tourist

My first post!

I currently use a gl1 and am poised to take the leap to either an H1 or HD200. With the price tag on this purchase I need all the information possible to make the best choice. Please keep the info on the 200 and 250 rolling! I'm reading daily.

Thanks,
Randy
Randy Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:45 AM   #14
Major Player

I shot some more test footage today and watched it on a 720p HDTV - it looked alot better but there is small bit of fringing noise still there (probably due to stock lense) - ill write more in the next couple of days - in detail with screens.
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:40 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Braun
I currently use a gl1 and am poised to take the leap to either an H1 or HD200. With the price tag on this purchase I need all the information possible to make the best choice. Please keep the info on the 200 and 250 rolling! I'm reading daily.

Thanks,
Randy
Hi Randy, welcome to DVinfo. I am in a very similar situation, I currently use the Canon XL1s. I've been carefully reading and trying to learn about strengths and weaknesses of these 2 cameras to make a decision as well....there's alot of $$$ at stake here. This is what i've learned thus far:

Strengths of the XLH1:

H1 has a bit more resolution in 60i (not much mind you), but it losses some in 24f and 30f so it may be comparable perhaps less than the Pro HD cams in 24/30.

the H1 is a very reliable camera (not nearly as many growing pains as the Pro HD cams, but JVC has been quick to adress the issues.)

the stock canon lens is probably better than the stock ProHD lens. as well as longer in the telephoto end.

weaknesses of H1:

FOCUS is a definate maybe with this camera, i've read that alot of users bought and use field monitors to ensure proper focus. (This is a big one for me) focus is critical!

lack of LCD screen

manual focus ring is not the greatest

personal observations:

I personally do not like the color reproduction of this camera as compared to the Pro HD cameras the JVCs seem to give a more natural look and feel.

JVC Strengths:

Very good ergonomics. manual shooting is really easy, all the manual controls are exactly where they should be. Its a relatively small and lightweight camera that is really nice on the shoulder even after long hours of shooting.

FOCUS: focus is easy with JVCs focus assist

very durable camera, you can read about a guy who exposed the camera to some harsh environments (including dropping the camera in a river) and the camera still worked fine.

True progressive camera, that doesn't lose any resolution with 24p and 30p

HD200/250 shoots 60p

a 3.5" LCD Screen is available for easy framing of shots

weaknesses of ProHD cams:

no full support from all NLEs, i think Avid Liquid is the only NLE that can deal with all the framerates of the ProHD Cams.

stock lens could be better but is definately usable

I'm sure others can add to this list but this is what i've managed to learn about these cameras so far.

I am really leaning towards the JVC HD200, because of the focus issue, i like the fact that it comes with and LCD, and is a true progressive cam, as well as i really like the images of the JVCs. I am waiting to see more on the HD200 though, as i understand it allows for more customizations. I'm wondering as well about the noise problem i'm hearing from Tyson on this post so i'd like to hear from others who have this camera to see if this is a problem or perhaps a monitoring issue. but anyways good luck with your decision.
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems