Zoom / Focus Display in HD100/200/250 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Zoom / Focus Display in HD100/200/250

Hi,

with std lens or TH13.x3.5 :

Does the Zoom / Focus Position of the lens show up (optionally?) in the display?

I found it to be a big help with some other cams to KNOW where Focus is without taking my eye of the VF.

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Mors
Hi,

with std lens or TH13.x3.5 :

Does the Zoom / Focus Position of the lens show up (optionally?) in the display?

I found it to be a big help with some other cams to KNOW where Focus is without taking my eye of the VF.

ULi
Hi Uli,

No it doesn't. That's a feature of fixed-lens cameras like the DVX100.
Liam Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:23 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks!

I used to work with DV5000 + Canon Lens (dont know exact model, 19x6.7?) and the display showed the values...

Anyway, thanks for your answer!

ULI
Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:48 PM   #4
Major Player

I've worked with many interchangable lens cameras that show focus and zoom in the viewfinder, mostly of the high end live broadcast variety.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:47 PM   #5
Major Player

I just read the hd200 manual (pdf) and it seems that the hd200 does not offer that feature...

Unfortunately - I think, working in low light and "remembering" one or two focus distances is really helpful (instead of trying to focus each time).

Since I do weddings as well IŽll miss that feature...
(receiption: getting focus bride/groom, fastly changing to the priest, different focus, fastly changing back to bride reactions etc.)

ULi
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Mors
Thanks!

I used to work with DV5000 + Canon Lens (dont know exact model, 19x6.7?) and the display showed the values...

Anyway, thanks for your answer!

ULI
Uli, I stand corrected (I was brought up in film). You could always try the focus assist, though I'm not convinced by this feature.
Liam Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #7
Major Player

Why arenŽt you?

To be honest , this feature is one of the PROs I give for the HD100/200 etc.

THough "more serious" cams like the XDCAMS offer 1,5" CRT VF, it seems to be difficult enough to focus (pdw-f330 has 4:3 1,5" , letterboxed with 16:9, pdw-f350 has 16:9 2" CRT).

I just played with a hd100 once and was suprised about the VF , though its not a CRT and VERY SMALL (but magnified).

Anyway, a FOCUS READOUT could be very helpful, especially when focussing back to the same peoples position...
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #8

while the Focus Assist feature does provide some guidance, it is mostly at wide open aperture settings where light isn't a problem. In low light conditions or at apertures below f/4, there is such a broad range of focus settings that "indicate" you're in focus, that FA is relatively useless.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens
at apertures below f/4, there is such a broad range of focus settings that "indicate" you're in focus, that FA is relatively useless.
If you're at a small aperture where you're able to rack the focus a bit without FA telling you you're out of focus, that's not a bug with FA. It's because your depth of field is large enough that the subject can remain acceptably sharp despite racking your focus around. Best way to find the "optimum" focus point in that kind of situation is find the extreme focus positions where FA goes away, and rack your focus to the midpoint between them.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems