DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Quality in Post. with HD111 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/84605-quality-post-hd111.html)

Eirikur Ingi Bodvarsson January 23rd, 2007 11:00 AM

Quality in Post. with HD111

Hi, my name is Eric (the viking from Iceland :o)
I am getting redy to capture my Short-film, that I finist shooting last summer.
Any how, as you all know we have a wonderful workflow with the JVC PRO HD 111 and FCP. -NOT-

So I am going to use DVHSCap and then MPEG-Streamclip 1.8 (brand new version for you all shooting with M2 it can now flip the image 180deg in the prosses so you no longer have to do it in FCP, very cool.) Anyhu..

I did some tests on the DVSCap, and it turned out ok. Is it Okey to use this program for 24p capturing. Is this program capturing in full HDV quality.
Dose it not recompress it again? I don't thing so, but I need to be sure.

Then in MPEG-Streamclip, What is the recomended codec to save the files in. I was thinking uncompressed, but that is to big, or just FCP HDV 720p 24f
All comments are good.

Sorry about my Speeling I come from a Land far far away!

Paolo Ciccone January 23rd, 2007 11:32 AM

Hi Eric.

DVHSCap should be just fine as it captures the stream from the camera so there's should not be any transcoding. When using MPEG Streamclip be sure that you specify a frame rate of 23.976fps or your footage will be left at 60fps (duplicate frames). You can use AIC for codec, quality is good while being smaller than uncompressed.

Juha Werkkala January 23rd, 2007 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Hi Eric.

You can use AIC for codec, quality is good while being smaller than uncompressed.

I'm using Lumiere to capture the footage, and then mpeg streamclip to convert it. I'm mostly shooting in 720p25, and used the dvcpro hd codec in mpeg to start editing the footage in fcp... I'm just wondering if there's something i'm missing when using that codec in contrast to aic?

And once more thanks for all pros here, especially figuring out different settings for the cam!

Paolo Ciccone January 23rd, 2007 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juha Werkkala
I'm just wondering if there's something i'm missing when using that codec in contrast to aic?

Yes, some pixels :) DVPRO encodes only 960 pixels per line. So instead of havign true 1280x720 you get 960x720 with pixel shiftint which causes, as expected, artifacts.

Juha Werkkala January 23rd, 2007 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Yes, some pixels :) DVPRO encodes only 960 pixels per line. So instead of havign true 1280x720 you get 960x720 with pixel shiftint which causes, as expected, artifacts.

Thanks for the info:) Kinda good news in this end, since already lovin' the quality of the footage from the cam with dvcpro codec... so can't wait to do it right this time:)