Sundance HD100 footage premiere at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 17th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #1
Wrangler

JVC related events of interest at Sundance/Slamdance

For those of you going to Sundance:

JVC is the Gold sponsor of HD House at Sundance/Slamdance this year. Fujinon is the Silver sponsor and Redrock M2 the Contributing Sponsor, so I'm sure there will be some nice gear on-hand.

Mike Curtis will be there on Friday and Saturday to present "Digital Filmmaking Evolution/Revolution"

Douglas Spotted Eagle will be there on Friday to present "HD & HDV: What You Have to Know."

I will be there on Saturday & Sunday (and possibly Monday) to present trailers for some of the films I shot in the last year with the HD100, as well as answer questions about digital cinematography.

Robert Lynn will be screening his film "Havoc" on Saturday night - shot in one take with the HD100 and DR-HD100.

On Monday Robert Takata will moderate a panel discussion on Digital Intermediate, with cinematographers, colorists and postproduction supervisors. I'm not sure who specifically will be involved in that one.
Old January 27th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Sundance HD100 footage premiere

Hi Tim
How was your presentation / seminar in Sundance Festival?
Did audience get impressed with the material?
Was 35mm blowups or HD video projected?

Best
Ron
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #3
New Boot

Sundance Review

Hi Ron,

I was at one of Tim's showings on Sunday afternoon at Sundance and the footage was very impressive. He was using a JVC HD Projector (not sure on the model) which after calibration worked very well.

Robb
Salt Lake City, UT
Robb Kunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #4
Wrangler

Hi guys,

I'm back from Park City and I had an amazing time. I only managed to see a half-dozen films between Sundance/Slamdance, but they were all pretty good. The best film I saw was "White Light, Black Rain" by Steven Okazaki. I predict you will see this one nominated for a documentary Oscar in 2008!

As for my footage, JVC had a D-iLA "10K" projector setup for the presentations. Unfortunately on day 1 the gamma was set for graphics, and I had colour corrected all of my footage for sRGB. I quickly tried to adjust the gamma output on my Macbook, but the blacks were either crushed or the whites were blown out and I didn't have time to fiddle with it during the presentation.

On day 2 I went in early and calibrated everything and it looked great. It was a good thing because we seemed to have a packed house with lots of people peeking in throughout the hour.

For the moment the footage I presented is not available on the internet. One of the trailers might be posted soon, but the material is managed by different production companies and it is out of my hands.

However, I did get to spend some "quality time" with the HZ-CA13U, and I am prepping that footage now to be uploaded to my server. Craig Yanagi from JVC helped me shoot a test on Main Street in Park City and this thing is simply amazing! There was only one PL mount lens available, but luckily it was 16mm focal length and thus a fairly good indicator of depth of field characteristics for wide angle shots.

I will start a new thread as soon as I have this footage encoded. (In the next 24 hours.)
Old January 27th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Oh, man - thanks a ton Tim! I am eagerly awaiting any info or footage you have!
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Tim.
Best
Ron
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Way to go , Tim! HZ-CA13U! Outstanding!
Hayes Roberts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems