So you want to buy a HD200.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 27th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #1
Major Player

So you want to buy a HD200....

Money doesn't come easy to me, so when I face a big dollar purchase I typically search for cheaper ways out. One time that particular thinking "almost" got me in trouble, as I came a whisper away from falling into the grasp of the aggressive internet criminal sellers who seem to populate (read: "generate") the "Discount, wholesale" digital sales world.

I promised myself, after I learned that very vaulable lesson, never to trust those types again. And I haven't. But, still, it's been tempting these past months to browse through their ads that claim "unrealistic" prices. I knew what would have happened if I had called, or if I clicked "Purchase now." So I didn't. But still those ads left a lingering impression that at the very least there "Might" be a way to save some money (sweat) on this big (for me) purchase.

The best I could figure, after quite a lot of hunting, was that I had two options: Pay full retail for the lot of equipment I needed, and take no chances, or go for the discount and be completely destroyed by the enemy. But then I followed some friendly advice and instead of just checking the DVinfo.net site sponsors for inventory and prices, I actually -called one- Tapeworks. Once I did it didn't take long for me to learn that all I knew up until this point was not all there was to know about buying dv equipment. Suddenly I had a name, and wasn't referred to as buddy. When I didn't have a name I was referred to as Sir. Instead of getting cheap tripods jammed down my throat, simple ten packs of HD tapes were gently "suggested." I was helped, rather than taken advantage of. I was respected, rather than disgusted.

Today I've got a lot less money in my piggybank, but I'm very happy to report I'm not pacing about the room in a cold sweat over it. I'm actually pretty damn happy about it. And that's the way it should be.

Hope this helps, back.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The good 'ole boys at Tapeworks are pretty cool. I got my hd100 from them.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Wrangler

Eric,

That's the type of experience Chris demands from our sponsors. They also helped us out tremendously with last year's Texas HD Shootout.

Enjoy the new camera!

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

ALL of the sponsors of this site are top notch, that's why they're sponsors.

When spending the kind of money we spend on stuff, whether its 50 tapes or a new camera with associated gear you should feel comfortable with the vendor you're doing business with and not have "the sweats" wondering IF and WHEN your gear is going to show up.

I'm glad you feel so good about your purchase. It just proves the point that price isn't everthing. I'd rather pay a bit more and KNOW I'm going to get what I paid for.

Congrats on the new gear and now you can relax and enjoy it.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom
I'd rather pay a bit more and KNOW I'm going to get what I paid for.
What's ironic is I didn't pay a bit more... Great deal on ALL fronts.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:40 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm glad you found a good dealer. About a year ago, I was looking for new equipment and I saw all of the really cheap websites.

I checked www.resellerratings.com and read all the really bad reviews for these vendors. I noticed that B&H photo/video had really good reviews so I went with them and the service was excellent.

A lot of these cheap websites consider their camcorders to be "loss leaders", they make no money on the item so they make it a contingency to purchase a bunch of overpriced accessory packages. That is the only way they make money.

It’s the classic “bait & switch”. People have really become the victims of their own frugalness. They only care about price. That is how these con artist succeed. They turn the customer's greed around on them and use it to their advantage. Not an honorable way of doing business if you ask me.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 08:34 AM   #7
New Boot

Tapeworks Texas

I recently discovered Tapeworks and have made several purchases from them including cameras. They have top notch customer service, they are quick to respond and knowledable. You can't say that about a lot of resellers.
John Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:25 AM   #8
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gulbransen
What's ironic is I didn't pay a bit more... Great deal on ALL fronts.
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the business, and on behalf of my dealer, Tapeworks, thanks for the compliments.

Regards,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems