Match for DVX100/non "A" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 28th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Match for DVX100/non "A"

I was reviewing some old footage I had aquired with a DVX100 a couple years ago. I had perhaps forgotten how nice some of this stuff looked.( all shot cine-gamma modes) Now, this is a "non A" model ( the first one ) and I swear the footage looks nicer, more "filmic" than the DVX100A I had footage of as well. I went through this debate two years ago at DVXuser; how Panasonic "dumbed down the A version" and no one cared, but I swear, the first camera looked much better. Long story short, has anyone had occasion to match that original DVX look? I have seen Tim D's file setting, and although it matches the "A", it seems to lack the "magic" of that first camera. If anyone thinks I'm crazy, fine, but can anyone help??? Thanks guys.
Hayes Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Upping The Ante

Had no response-knew this might be a tricky one! maybe someone with a non A version and a 'scope might be able to help. Chris or Greg or Tim may correct me here, but if anyone can help I will be glad to pay consult fee -$250-300.00?
Old February 4th, 2007, 11:54 AM   #3
Wrangler

Hayes,
I doubt you're crazy...and sorry, we don't accept consult fees around here. That's the whole point of this 'free information' community.

I've used both the 'A' and non-A versions of the DVX100 and I agree that Panasonic did change the cine curve... but for the better.
In the original DVX100, I seem to remember that I avoided the "cine" curve because it was a "straight" curve designed to be used for a filmout. This meant that the latitute was actually quite limited and the highlights would hard-clip. It didn't look great. The first film I shot with the DVX100 (a day after opening the box) was shot with the cine curve and I was not happy with the highlight handling (see the short film 'The Good, The Bad, and the Tiny' on my website.) In all future shooting with that camera I think I used the LOW gamma and underexposed by a stop.
When the 'A' version was released, it appeared that the name "cinelike" was re-assigned to a curve used to emulate film response in video. This new curve had the typical signs of a low knee/shoulder and extended toe...very different from the original.
There were a few variations and these are the curves I emulated when I programmed the DVX Match scene files for the HD100. My reasoning here was that the DVX100A was a much more popular camera than the original DVX100 (I think it hit the market less than a year after the original.)

You may be referring to the color matrix of the DVX100 vs DVX100A. I'm not aware of any significant changes made to the color matrix, but this is possible. The DVX cameras have always over-emphasized red, so I would suggest starting with one of my DVX match scene files, and then increase the white paint R slightly. This might over-warm the skin tone like a DVX100 and help you achieve the "magical" look you seek.
Old February 4th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

O.K. Thanks, Tim. Yes- it could be the color matrix. Outstanding! I'm on it-Thanks again- if I get this, at least let me send out a birthday card!
Old February 4th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayes Roberts
...at least let me send out a birthday card!
LOL...It's September 19th!
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Ahh..makes sense, my wife says--Virgo-" Intelligent and Analytical "
O.K. Everybody SEPTEMBER 19--Take note!
Hayes Roberts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems